"Tonight we will dine in hell"

Krazy_K

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh noes, the critics said it's bad. Shit, I must be wrong. Evidently I should never watch a film again.

OR....you're an idiot.

It's an excellent film. Carrey is amazing - again. The story is clever, the twist is unexpected, it's just a great, great film.

Actually no. It doesn't suck & isn't shit. :rolleyes:

A compelling argument, but every review I've read disagrees. 25% on Metacritic, 9% on RottenTomatoes.

I love how all you said was "It looks very shit. And by all accounts, is." yet you go for the "compelling argument" line. Nice try, junior. And every review? I'm sure. & anyway, obviously, those that write them are always correct & never wrong. I should, of course, only enjoy what Rotten Tomatoes tells me to. Like you.

I should obviously watch the GREAT films, like Borat, Dreamgirls & Spy Kids. Because Rotten Tomatoes believes them to be superb!

I've decided to take my movie opinions from only two places: Empire Magazine (although that gets too fanboy), and more importantly Mark Kermode who actually knows his stuff (although sometimes seems to delve into the leftfield purely to prove a point). They've made my viewing decisions for me over the last few years and they've ALWAYS been right.

Kermode had an amazing quote about Borat: "It's all a big joke and we've all been taken in. One day we're all going to wake up and go 'Why did I fall for that?'". He's right. Laughing at Americans (and Eastern Europeans) is boring. Cohen's gay supermodel interviewer was funnier.

Anyway, actually there is ONE movie that is a must see this year, and it's...

sunshine.jpg

SUNSHINE.

Yes, how dare I consider the opinions of dozens of movie critics, but ignore the opinions of some people on a message board.

If 23 looked at all interesting, and you two weren't the only ones I've heard say a good word about it, maybe I'd give it a shot.

But it doesn't look at all interesting. And everyone except you seems to hate it.

So if it's OK with you, I'll skip it. (Y)

Yeah but you forget something... movie critics are all bullshit. They're paid to tell you what is good (which is solely based on their opinion), and you listen like it's the gospel? If the masses operate like you, (and sorry to say CSAMH... I mean, why can't the third place to take your opinions on movies be from.. yourself?), then I think that's where I'm going to aim my writing once I get to that stage. Some of my favorite movies have got low ratings with critics and people on Rotten Tomatoes who think that they're hot shit because they have an account there :rolleyes:, but the majority of people outside that circle... quite frankly like it.

Edited by Master Shake

Mark Kermode > * :wub:

The films (hopefully) coming out this year that I'm looking forward to are:

The Science Of Sleep, but I'm a little unsure about how coherent that'll be...Michel Gondry's mental, and I've no idea how well he'll work out as a scriptwriter, but just visually it should be incredible.

Inland Empire...it's David Lynch, 'nuff said.

My Name Is Bruce...because it WILL be the greatest film ever made.

Yeah but you forget something... movie critics are all bullshit. They're paid to tell you what is good (which is solely based on their opinion), and you listen like it's the gospel? If the masses operate like you, (and sorry to say CSAMH... I mean, why can't the third place to take your opinions on movies be from.. yourself?), then I think that's where I'm going to aim my writing once I get to that stage. Some of my favorite movies have got low ratings with critics and people on Rotten Tomatoes who think that they're hot shit because they have an account there :rolleyes:, but the majority of people outside that circle... quite frankly like it.

The FIRST place I take opinions from is myself when I see trailers, or hear news about a movie. A review does not change how I see a movie. However if I haven't heard of a movie but then a review in Empire magazine (for example) gives a storyline that I like the sound of and a 4 or 5 star rating then I'll go and see it. If I really wanna see a film even with bad ratings then I'll go see it. I'm just saying that I don't rush around trying to find twelve reviews on each movie before I go and see it.

Though as an example of what I mean, I knew NOTHING about Zatoichi or Oldboy before they were released. Empire gave them both glowing reviews so I went and saw them. Now with Zatoichi the fact it's a Takeshi Kitano movie + it has samurai + he's a blind masseur who's also a swordfighter, battling evil gangs meant that the review got my interest before they gave it the good rating. If it's a movie about the struggle of a woman in 17th century Belgium against the worries of a rival for a man's heart and they give it a 5/5, then I'm not gonna see it as the subject matter holds no appeal (though if my wife wants to see it then I know it won't be awful).

Where Kermode and Empire REALLY come in is if there's a movie I "kinda" wanna see. For example, Pan's Labyrinth. I'm not a big fan of the obscure but since Kermode's been raving about it being his best movie of the year and Empire were very positive to it too, I'm gonna rent it out and watch it cos even if it's not totally my taste I know it's gonna be a very good film.

Also, Skummy, Empire gave the new David Lynch film a *****. So it'll probably be pretty good.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I don't like Empire Magazine, it reviews movies months after they come out in the real world :shifty:.

Well that and it's reviews are unbelievably fanboyesque and they tend to like a lot of stuff that's just not any good. To me it seems like one of those magazines that just wants to go against the grain, like Paste or something like that.

Edited by Ringu

They tend to overrate anything Star Wars/comicbook based. However I've never really disagreed too much since I started subscribing a few years ago unlike some other magazines which my view has really differed with. I think if you can find a magazine/website/reviewer which seems to have a similar taste to you it's good to stick with them.

300 looks great. The Number 23 on the other hand was a vapid pile of shit. The audience completely turned on it halfway through.

And I agree that critics are not the ultimate arbitrators of good and bad, but if a movie is shat on by 91% of critics, most people are usually going to find that they agree. All opinion, obviously, but I felt they were right about The Number 23.

So.....who's seen it? I just went today and was blown away. 2 hours of ass kicking, blood, decapitations, and carnage, with a bit of story to tie everything together. Best movie so far this year in my view, which isn't hard since not much has come out yet.

Ho... ly... sh... it

:o

Wow

and damn.

Is this movie going to win any Academy Awards? No. Should it? No. But goddamn. Rarely does a movie come along that just grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go for two hours. Oh and if you're a lady and don't have balls, it staples balls onto you and then grabs them. I sat back and was thinking, "wow, this is like Braveheart, with less Mel Gibson, less lame, more action and on a sweet LSD/Steroid cocktail." I loved this fucking movie and it's going to be one of the rare moments where I see a movie twice in the theater, it's just that awesome.

I actually thought this looked pretty lame, although I'm going down the "I bet all the action is in the trailer" thinking. I'll wait for some more feedback from people before I cough up a fiver to see it mind. Looks like its tried to crowbar an insane amount of "quotes" in there aswell.

On another note, I thought 23 looked interesting, I even considered going to see it by myself.