MMA News and Discussion Thread

Penn VS. Edgar at UFC 112? So they're going to have a triple headliner for this show? Goddamn.

Of course 108 was supposed to be Lesnar/Carwin and Evans/Rampage and Silva/Belfort, so who knows :P

Evans/Rampage was supposed to be 107, as it was in Rampage's hometown...

But I am guessing that Abu Dhabi are gonna be paying a lot of money to the UFC so they are going to put on a great card to make sure that the Emirate's like and appreciate it, at the end of the day, despite the recession they are still going to give a good pay day, and if it is on Spike (I think that what I heard rumoured), then it is going to be a great bit of advertising for MMA and the UFC as more people are likely to tune in rather than it being on PPV (though they could make a bucket load of cash with that card), and grow the business more, which has to be UFC and MMA's game still, build the sport, get more eyes watching and more wallets opening.

Also after a few supposed "lackluster cards" recently, they are going to try and use some big names heading in to the summer. IMO the recent cards, while maybe lacking in big names bar one or two fighters per card, have all been very entertaining.

Abu Dhabi's the richest city in the world. You can bet they're pulling out everything to make sure they can open up a market there and are, to put it bluntly, welcomed back in the future. Also, I agree that putting big names on Spike will help grow the sport some more. UFC's benefiting I feel over the exposure to MMA that Strikeforce is bringing, and they can help this some more with some of their own big names being on Spike.

Seth's popularity is still in its infancy. He could have capitalized over the win against Kimbo hugely, but chose not to. His injury came at a horrible time as he could have had massive momentum in the popularity department if he wasn't forced to take time off. Seth is not the fighter we saw lose out of TUF and the UFC. He'll be back.

EDIT* MPH, if that came off as being a smart-ass then I apologize. I see exactly what you're getting at with that remark, I'm just saying that I think the verdict is def. still out on Seth.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Depends just how good Shane's contacts are, I guess (my theory is not as good as we're led to believe). But the Sheik buying in has established a price one way or another.

Also Stephan Bonnar vs. Krystof Soszynski has been booked as a 110 prelim. Have to imagine they'd put that one on Spike if possible.

I knwo its a double pst and everything, and its totally a shill, but... Here is a link to the new EWB MMA prediction league I have started. Since Biggz has left we're lacking in one so I have started it up again with revised rules and stuff, I know its a bit of a long read, but its mostly explained in the first post and is very much open to all MMA fans no matter if you're just casual, just UFC, only North American, or a full on MMA Hardcore there is fun to be had. The league will be properly starting at UFC 109, but we're just having a trial run with this weekends cards. Come, join up and have fun (Y) (links also in my sig)

Dana wasn't lying when he said he was going to put name fighters on the Fight Night on Versus. They already announced Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera and now Clay Guida vs. Sean Sherk has been added to that. Anthony Johnson is also on it against John Howard.

• Like 1