MMA News and Discussion Thread

Not even on OneHD, where the fight is being shown. There's more airtime devoted to promoting the replay of Penn/St. Pierre from last year than there is the entire 110 card.

Well it is Feb. 21. I'd imagine they'll start promoting the card more heavily in the fortnight before it, around the same time the media will suggest that 'cage fighting' is corrupting our youth.

• Like 1

I believe it only 'corrupts' those who don't have the proper guidance in the first place. There is a lot of forcefully taught respect and discipline that comes out of martial arts and translates over to ring/cage/octagon. Of course there is trash talk to sell fights, but I'd say 90% of the time, at the least, you see hand shakes or hugs after fights. Most of the time fighters come out of it immediately giving the other guy props for doing what he had to do to win and it isn't until it's time to sell again that they are back on the smack talk.

I will admit that I am biased and see things like this due to my martial arts background and experience so I automatically notice the more subtle signs of respect that get thrown around during and after fights.

EDIT:

More reason to love Dan Hardy

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/30/1284884/dan-hardys-ufc-111-vlog-the-outlaw

Edited by Gene Kiniski
  • Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Two hours after the show ended last night, everybody wanted to leave but they couldn't because Nick Diaz had yet to take his drug test and showed no signs of doing so anytime soon. :lol:

I believe it only 'corrupts' those who don't have the proper guidance in the first place. There is a lot of forcefully taught respect and discipline that comes out of martial arts and translates over to ring/cage/octagon. Of course there is trash talk to sell fights, but I'd say 90% of the time, at the least, you see hand shakes or hugs after fights. Most of the time fighters come out of it immediately giving the other guy props for doing what he had to do to win and it isn't until it's time to sell again that they are back on the smack talk.

I will admit that I am biased and see things like this due to my martial arts background and experience so I automatically notice the more subtle signs of respect that get thrown around during and after fights.

EDIT:

More reason to love Dan Hardy

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/30/1284884/dan-hardys-ufc-111-vlog-the-outlaw

I think Hughes/Serra was a good example of this :\

Guest Mr. Potato Head

A few UFC matches announced (or reported) in the last few days:

UFC 111 - Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham

UFC Fight Night 21 - Roy Nelson vs. Stefan Struve (am I ever looking forward to this)

UFC 115 - James Wilks vs. Peter Sobotta

UFC 114 - Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow

I'm assuming everything but Nelson/Struve is a prelim.

Yahoo says WEC's first PPV will be on April 24 (for $44.99) which will be Jose Aldo defending the featherweight title against Urijah Faber, Ben Henderson defending the lightweight title against Donald Cerrone, and Mike Brown taking on Manny Gamburyan (winner should get a shot at Aldo/Faber winner, I am sure).

They're also advertising it as "UFC Presents" which is a good idea to have the UFC name attached in someway.

wec-48-tickets-poster.jpg

Like I had suspected, Griffin vs. Little Nog is now likely to take place in Vegas and not Montreal later in May as MMAJunkie wrote today.

Paul Taylor also drops to lightweight which is probably the right weight for him, plus he wasn't doing so good at welterweight anyways.

In the Observer, it is stated Lesnar wants to fight as soon as 5/29 in Vegas instead of the 7/3 show.

LAS VEGAS – As far as weigh-in events go, today's official UFC 109 fighter weigh-ins at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas couldn't have gone any smoother.

All 22 event competitors, including headliners Randy Couture and Mark Coleman, made weight for Saturday's event, which airs on Spike TV (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT) and then pay-per-view (10 p.m. ET).

In fact, not a single competitor had to remove additional clothing or weigh in twice.

Coleman and Couture, who could be fighting for a light-heavyweight title shot in the UFC 109 main event, both made weighed 205 pounds.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was on scene and reporting live from today's weigh-ins, and we'll have complete on-site coverage before, during and after tomorrow's Super Bowl weekend card.

The official weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD

* Mark Coleman (205) vs. Randy Couture (205)

* Nate Marquardt (186) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)

* Mike Swick (171) vs. Paulo Thiago (170)

* Demian Maia (186) vs. Dan Miller (185)

* Matt Serra (169) vs. Frank Trigg (171)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Justin Buchholz (156) vs. Mac Danzig (156)

* Melvin Guillard (155) vs. Ronys Torres (156)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)

* Rob Emerson (155) vs. Phillipe Nover (155)

* Phil Davis (205) vs. Brian Stann (205)

* Tim Hague (263) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (263)

* Joey Beltran (238) vs. Rolles Gracie (247)

And WOW am I starting to get hyped about tomrrows card..... Serra vs Trigg should be awesome. Marquardt vs Sonnen should be a great fight. Always love to see Maia work the BJJ. And as for the main event, I have gone from being entirely apathetic about it when I first heard ti announced to really looking forward to it. For me it works as a "Can Coleman still do it?" Kind of fight, because I have every confidence that Couture can, just even after the UFC 100 victory there are question marks over Coleman.

Also the "Geezers at Caesars" line from Couture is awesome. I really wish they had moved it to Caesar's Palace and run with it :lol:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I won't be watching because I'm going to the Leafs game and by the time I'm home it'll probably be down to just Coleman/Couture which will likely be boring.

Sweet undercard though.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Kampmann has stepped out of his slaughtering at the hands of fight with Ben Saunders for UFC 111, and Jake Ellenberger is in on short notice. This new fight is less exciting to me.

• Like 1