MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The more I think about it, the more I think UFC is asking for trouble with this Kimbo/Mitrione fight. Yes it's really the only heavyweight Kimbo is the favourite against, but if he loses Mitrione is even harder to get over as 'the guy who beat Kimbo' than Petruzelli was.

• Like 1

Does "the guy who beat Kimbo Slice" really mean anything anymore? Basically at this point he's 1-1 in the UFC, 2-2 in fights that had a particularly large audience. I'd think that if Kimbo really still has an audience it's the same kind of audience that Tank Abbott had: people who liked the way he fought, not necessarily his ability to actually win fights.

• Like 1

So, after only seeing my man Dan Hardy fight a couple of times and with me not being the biggest MMA guy in the world, what would you guys say his chances are going in to the fight with GSP? I mean, I know how good St Pierre is and I very much doubt that Hardy will win, or dominate enough to take the title, anyway.

Is there anyone here who thinks he has any chance at all of pulling off a shock?

Yeah, MPH pretty much has it on the button. Hardy can punch, so he has a punchers chance, but GSP should beat him all ends up, really.

Most bookies do start of the year betting that covers the whole year, and one of the ones Hills did was that you could get 3/1 for thier to be a UK champion in 2010. A punter asked me if that was a good price, but realistically, Hardy will be the only fighter from the UK who gets even near a title shot, and he should be a lot bigger than 3/1 in my eyes.

I don't think 3/1 is TOO bad, mainly because it's a title fight, so they shouldn't rank Hardy too far out.

That said, I'd say Hardy certainly has a shot. I'm just not sure he can handle the takedowns of GSP though. On the stand up, Hardy stands a chance. If it goes to the ground, I just cant see him standing much of a chance at all. I see GSP simply over powering him for the majority of the fight. Of course I'm near on praying for a Hardy win (because I'm a Hardy fan, plus I'd love to see GSP finally lose the damn strap), but I'd agree with what has been said, GSP certainly is the favourite by a long way.

Even if it is a title fight, GSP is far and away a better fighter. You have to be careful not to give too much away with the odds you set, as there is a punchers chance in any MMA fight, but Hardy to me would have to be 5/1, 6/1, something like that. GSP is different class to him, and it isn't as if you are clearly seeing the Number 1 guy in a weight class going against the Number 2 guy, GSP has just run through most of the other competitors, meaning Hardy gets a shot when he arguably shouldn't get for another fight or two.

Ahh, I didn't realise we had another person there or there abouts. I mean, they have to factor people like Bisping in the prices, because it is just a non-specific UK fighter, but I thought that realistically, the UK wouldn't get anyone else near a title this year outside of Hardy. With Bisping losing, looks even more possible, but yeah, I guess if Daley beats Kosheck, he could end up in the picture.

With Daley close, 3/1 makes more sense. My main point initially though was that it was typical bookies insofar as it looked like they were giving you a much shorter price, considering concievably only Hardy would be in a position to win, and would end up going off at a larger price than 3/1.

EDIT: I guess Pearson, with a run of victories, could end up being nearer the top, but I think he wouldn't be able to do it in 2010.

Hardy's got tight striking, and could probably trade with GSP, but St Pierre has pretty much Olympic level wrestling. I think with Hardy's solid ground defence though, it won't be the devastation that most people are expecting. Possibly a labouring 5-rounder like the Alves fight.

Fuck it, I wanna see the rubber match, I think Mir deserves his rematch, particularly if he beats Carwin. The guy is a former champ and interim champ and has proven himself to be excellent against high quality competitors, and he seems angry and focused.... just wish he would shut up about Lesnar and focus on Carwin, guy's no push-over.

I think Carwin could get the KO early on in that fight. Mir's strike defence isn't particularly good anyway, not to mention he'll be very confident in his striking after the Kongo fight. Plus as a lot of people keep mentioning, Mir seems to be looking past the Carwin fight. If Carwin can connect with one of his bombs, I'm not sure Mir can take it.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18063/stratus-media-group-assumes-control-of-proelite-inc-plans-to-relaunch-mma-promotion.mma

Pro Elite, the company that owned EliteXC, has been sold to Stratus Media Group (no relation to Trish, as far as I know) - and they want to start promoting MMA events again.

No idea if they'd be able to use the EXC name.