MMA News and Discussion Thread

I don't think this is just about it being a fight between the two guys with a winner and loser... I think the big thing here is the potential viewing audience they can reach with Bellator. What is it now? FSN, Telemundo and NBC? wow thats is great coverage, a winner is one which can reach a huge potential viewing audience...

Guest Mr. Potato Head

In my opinion, Alvarez has to win this fight. Neer was a middle-of-the-pack LW in UFC. If Alvarez truly is the elite LW he's billed as, and the non-UFC 155 group is as strong as people think it is, Alvarez needs a convincing victory or he'll devalue himself, Hansen, Amade, Kawajiri, and by extension even guys like Aoki, Melendez, and Thomson.

Bellator made an announcement about season 2 and 3 airing on The Score, but does anyone know if they'll be airing the shows live? I checked TheScore.com, but they only list MMA Fight Night, which is highlights from Season 1, and the WEC shows.

Season 2 starts in less than a month. It will be awesome if I can watch it as it's happening, because Bellator has some of the most exciting young talent in the business.

Should be a good tournament, I would expect an 8-man one rather than the normal 16 with DREAM, but those three are a very solid start and Moussasi could eb a winner in two of their grand prixs as he won the middleweight one back in 2008, Sokoudjou really needs a kick up the arse though he looked so promising in Pride, but then has gone a bit rubbish...

I think the problem with Sokoudjou is his cardio and ground game but im hoping that DREAM could maybe get Ricardo Arona in for the tournament as Moussasi's already beaten Sobral and Sokoudjou.

But MMA looks set for some good tournaments this year

Also Damacio Page out of his WEC 48 bout with Antonio Banuelos and Scott Jorgenson will be his replacement should be an interesting rematch

Pulling for Jorgensen here. It'd be awesome to see him pick up this win and then get Page following.

Sokoudjou didn't look too bad against Moussasi in their Strikeforce fight when it was on the ground. Moussasi said he tried some different things going into and during that fight, but that of course is only half of the battle. While it is only my opinion, I think that Sokoudjou needs to take on some lower level competition in his next few fights and stop getting so far ahead of himself.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

If he wins, he'll realize that being top dog in Strikeforce is better for his career than being Anderson Silva's next victim, I'd wager.

He's been talking shit about GSP for while now, I reckon he will venture down to welterweight again if thathappens

If he wins, he'll realize that being top dog in Strikeforce is better for his career than being Anderson Silva's next victim, I'd wager.

He's been talking shit about GSP for while now, I reckon he will venture down to welterweight again if thathappens

GSP also said that Jake Shields was a dream fight of his a couple of months ago if I remember correctly. It's a fight I'd like to see, but Shields would probably be better off in Strikeforce. Either way I don't see him winning any of the "big fights" he could go into in UFC.

Yeah I don't see Jake Shields being a middleweight if he goes to UFC. He's only in middleweight in UFC because there really was no money match for him at welterweight.

Not that there really is any at middleweight besides Dan Henderson, but that's one more than at welterweight. :shifty:

• Like 1

Shields could compete at either 170 or 185 in the UFC i think he would be a contender at either weight but in the UFC welterweight is his best option he's got the ground skills. I think he's similarish to Jon Fitch but i do think he would be competitive.

However i do have a view that if he was to beat Dan Henderson then he could pretty much earn a title shot at middleweight or be in a contendership fight with Vitor Belfort to see who's next in line after Chael Sonnen

Edited by davidmarrio

I feel badly for Rogers right now. I know he isn't the type of guy to turn down a fight, but it seems as if he is being mishandled when it comes to the title scene.

The whole title scene is being mishandled.

Alistair Overeem hasn't appeared in America for almost two years now, and his first fight back with Strikeforce is non-title?

The only time non-title fights should happen for champions is if they're fighting more than twice a year for the promotion and running out of "legitimate" contenders. Overeem's first fight back should be him defending the belt. Doesn't matter who his opponent is, if it's Rogers, Lashley, Wes Sims or Bob the Popcorn Guy. A sabbatical that long, by a Champion, needs to lead to a return Championship fight. Besides, if Rogers knocked him out and won the belt, it sets up Fedor/Rogers II perfectly, assuming of course, that Fedor's contract keeps him around for several fights and isn't in danger of being voided for some reason.