MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Murray Head

Stephan Bonnar is now Frank Mir's permanent replacement as an WEC announcer.

Strikeforce's June show will likely include a Cris Cyborg fight (not necessarily against Erin Toughill) and a Cung Le fight (Scott Smith and Frank Shamrock have both been rumoured opponents).

Frank Mir was a good commentator i thought. Probably to do with the Brock Lesnar death comments even if Zuffa don't want to admit it bet it played some part but looks like Bonnar does indeed have a job for life with Zuffa. Personally i would of liked Jens Pulver or Kenny Florian someone like that but Bonnars a decent choice

Guest Mr. Murray Head

I didn't have much to do tonight, and I noticed that The Fight Network was showing DREAM 6. Perfect way to kill a couple hours, I thought.

Instead something's gone wrong with the tape, and they just keep playing the first round of Hideo Tokoro's fight over and over. Sigh.

Guest Mr. Murray Head

CagePotato is reporting that Mike Whitehead is being sought after by Nevada police on charges of sexual assault and a marijuana grow-op worth about $500,000.

Speaking of DREAM, just managed to catch DREAM.13 and all I have to say is MINOWAMAN :w00t:

That was a great card and well worth staying up until 6ish in the morning to watch.. I really only gave a shit about the card for Minowa seeing how everytime I have a chance to watch him live my internet decides to deep six itself or I pass out 20 minutes before they go live. Never really was a fan of Barnett and the 3 day long stoppage for that groin kick was bullshit, dude said he couldn't continue but the Japs seemed to talk him back into it. Schivello was gold with his one liners the entire night, as usual.

And before I forget that headkick KO from Escovedo was sweet, almost woke up my niece when that happened. Also MPH, the Diaz/Sakurai fight its happening at DREAM.14 not 15.. I think it was to happen for 15 but with the Korea event being canceled I think they set it for 14 because of that. Either way May 29th can not come any sooner.

With Strikeforce Nashville coming up this weekend, I rechecked the card. Three title fights obviously is huge. However, what are they going to do if all three fights finish soon? I can't see Mousasi vs Lawal last 5 rounds, Aoki and Melendez has a lot of chance on an early submission or KO too... and Henderson can knock Shields out like he did Bisping.

The only two matches on the undercard that are of somewhat interest are the one of Jason Mayhem Miller (vs Tim Stout) and Josh Shockman vs Cale Yarbrough. I think SF is taking a bit of a risk here...

With Strikeforce Nashville coming up this weekend, I rechecked the card. Three title fights obviously is huge. However, what are they going to do if all three fights finish soon? I can't see Mousasi vs Lawal last 5 rounds, Aoki and Melendez has a lot of chance on an early submission or KO too... and Henderson can knock Shields out like he did Bisping.

The only two matches on the undercard that are of somewhat interest are the one of Jason Mayhem Miller (vs Tim Stout) and Josh Shockman vs Cale Yarbrough. I think SF is taking a bit of a risk here...

They have already confirmed that Mayhem vs Stout will be shown in some form, be it in highlight packages between fights if the title matches go long, or in full if one or two of the title fights go short.

This is breaking from the norm of not showing "prelims", but they haven't shown 3 title fights on a tv card before. Its interesting t o note that UFC's only ever attempt at having 3 title fights on a single card (UFC 33 I believe), is considered an absolute disaster, the fights weren't exciting, and they went over the time constraints of the PPV and the feed just cut out, it cost the company a lot of money and Zuffa have since refused to put 3 titles fights on a card as a result (which with the amounf of cards there is nowadays is really not that much of an issue).

I reckon Shields/Henderson is likely to go to a decision it's the only one i could see out of the 3 so i dont think they should have too much to worry about there

Guest Mr. Murray Head

Joe Rogan is claiming him and Mike Goldberg will do commentary for the WEC PPV. I'm of two minds about this...I think UFC should have absorbed WEC long ago, but if they're going to keep WEC distinct, they should try to get it over on its own merits rather than as a red-headed stepkid that needs UFC's production team to look big-time.

I agree that would be a bad choice, it may be one of the little concessions that Zuffa have to make to keep a PPV company happy though, particularly the first one. keep them happy on commentators and tell them to not go anywhere near the booking of the event's fights. To be honest from a purely fan's view point I like that Stephan Bonnar will not be commentating as he wasn't that great at the last WEC event (Bonnar has permanently replaced Frank Mir on all Versus' broadcasts), but I feel for Todd Harris as I quite like the guy. A better option may have been Todd plus Rogan in the booth, but the chemistry beteen Goldy and Rogan is undeniable and may add to the broadcast, and at least will be familiar to other fans :/.

it doesn't make much of a difference over here as WEC isn't shown here but i think it's just to try and get a crossover of fans who watch UFC to try and watch WEC. I think the merger would be a good thing for pay and exposure (if you get shown that is) but i could see many WEC guys getting lost if WEC/UFC merged. People like Torres, Faber, Aldo, Henderson etc wouldn't but there would be many people who would

Guest Mr. Murray Head

it doesn't make much of a difference over here as WEC isn't shown here but i think it's just to try and get a crossover of fans who watch UFC to try and watch WEC. I think the merger would be a good thing for pay and exposure (if you get shown that is) but i could see many WEC guys getting lost if WEC/UFC merged. People like Torres, Faber, Aldo, Henderson etc wouldn't but there would be many people who would

Two points:

1) They think people won't shell out $50 for Aldo/Faber and Cerrone/Henderson, but they will shell out $50 for those fights announced by Goldberg and Rogan?

2) I don't agree that people would get lost in the shuffle...at least no more than anybody else does in UFC. Maybe some of the weaker WEC 155ers would have trouble, but I assume UFC would treat the FW and BW divisions as on par with the rest, with title fights at the top (or second from the top until established), other top fights on the main card, etc.

Gegard Mousasi has resigned a new deal with Strikeforce for a 4 fight minimum, 2 yr contract

Kid Yamamoto is to fight in Stikeforce on the Overeem/Rogers card, Jacare Souza is fighting Joey Villasenor on the same card as well and Vitor Riberio is to fight either Lyle Beerbohm or Mitsuhiro Ishida

And from the looks of it June 16 in LA, Mayhem should be fighting Robbie Lawler and Bobby Lashley will probably be on the card as well according to MMAFighting.com

Bruce Buffer is also announcing on the WEC Show. My comments probably were worded wrong i don't mean they'll buy the card because Goldberg/Rogan are announcing but from the looks of it and some commericials that have been aired it seems theres not a great mention of WEC and it seems to be more like UFC Present: WEC which would probably get the casual MMA fans who only know MMA as "UFC or Ultimate Fighting." The Featherweight/Bantamweights wouldn't get as lost in the mix as in terms of roster size in that weight class but its fighting in fights cause you've got to keep people on your roster active. I think WEC at the moment shouldn't merge but possibly in the future it should as it'll benefit in pay the fighters

Also Mayorga/Din Thomas press conference with Mayorga up to his usual tricks

Edited by davidmarrio

Really? Bruce Buffer has to do this show too? I think Joe Martinez is better and doesn't "get himself over" like Buffer has done.

I don't mind Goldy/Rogan taken over the announcing as they are great. Todd Harris is good, but him and Stephan Bonnar are not a great pair and Bonnar is no Frank Mir. Now if Mir was still around to call the action, I wouldn't have minded having him and Harris in there. As it is now with Bonnar taken over, I have no problems with Goldy/Rogan replacing them on PPV.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think it's a little unfair to judge Bonnar based on his first broadcast, but to each his own. Agreed that he's maybe not the best choice for a PPV right this minute.

I think with practice and more experience Bonnar would make a good commentator. Frank Mir was good as he was very insightful in to what was happening. Kenny Florian is another personal favourite of mine