MMA News and Discussion Thread

[if] Kimbo beats Mintrione making him 2-0 in the UFC giving him a bit more credibility and hype ability then (foreseeable) Toney beats Kimbo on the feet making Toney seem credible, add in his boxing accomplishments and hype the guy to the moon, then feed him to someone like that needs that extra momentum fight to push them over the edge.

That's my prediction and seemingly a number of other peoples as well. It could work.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Oh I get the plan, I just don't like UFC intentionally pushing and protecting guys who can't fight at a UFC-acceptable level (which they're doing at 205 and now HW).

Meltzer says White confirmed that UFC is going to air a live show (most likely on Spike) which would put it head to head with the Strikeforce April 17th card (though Meltzer also says that CBS may now move the Strikeforce show to April 24 which would instead put it head to head with the WEC Aldo vs. Faber PPV). The CBS card will obviously do better ratings but I am sure that the UFC live card will take some of the viewers away.

Wanderlei Silva/Yoshihiro Akiyama will not be the main event like was rumored but they are trying to get Matt Serra/Mike Swick as a semifinal fight.

This is going to be the first time I am gonna come out and say it and really mean it with conviction... but Zuffa are not acting in the interest of the sport of MMA. They are self serving trying to sabotage the other promotions and at the end of the day Strikeforce are hardly a viable competitor at the minute, their numbers aren't exactly impressive and Zuffa pretty much controls the USA market with WEC and UFC. i would like it if they didn't counter program and realised that the option of letting Strikeforce grow could be good for the sport and good for UFC and drawi in more fans. Its not like casual fans don't automatically think "UFC" rather than "MMA"... I know that the UFC act like WWE but at times they are really petty...

Guest Mr. Potato Head

This is going to be the first time I am gonna come out and say it and really mean it with conviction... but Zuffa are not acting in the interest of the sport of MMA. They are self serving trying to sabotage the other promotions and at the end of the day Strikeforce are hardly a viable competitor at the minute, their numbers aren't exactly impressive and Zuffa pretty much controls the USA market with WEC and UFC. i would like it if they didn't counter program and realised that the option of letting Strikeforce grow could be good for the sport and good for UFC and drawi in more fans. Its not like casual fans don't automatically think "UFC" rather than "MMA"... I know that the UFC act like WWE but at times they are really petty...

You're absolutely right. And the risk here is that Strikeforce fails but CBS is just interested enough that they start their own MMA company - and since its their own, they put the full CBS muscle behind promoting it.

Yeah, but they aren't intensely interested enough to put money behind their own CBS MMA thing. The ratings aren't good enough that they blow everyone away and dispel the negative myths about MMA (human cock-fighting, whatever), and especially doesn't match up to other sports and their ratings. It'd take something of the American equivalent to Japan and how one fight (escapes me at the moment) was viewed by every citizen awake/aware at the time.

Serra/Swick won't be the headliner either way now, due to Swick being out due to an arm injury that will most likely require surgery. Which might explain why Kimbo isn't planned to fight at UFC 113 anymore. Think about it, a Kimbo fight would gain more interest than Dan Henderson (and especially Shields), no offensive to Hendo. He's just way more popular.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

For anyone who was wondering, it's been made official that UFC on Versus will air in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet (and ESPN in the UK, among others). Also James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara was promoted to the main card ahead of Clay Guida for some reason, and Martin Kampmann vs. Paulo Thiago is in the works for UFC 115.

I really don't get this not using Clay Guida on the main card stuff. He's almost always guaranteed to have an exciting fight.

I fell behind on this weeks Observers and just got caught up and saw this:

I don’t know if Dana White will nix this, but Tom Lawlor, who is fighting Tim Credeur on 5/8 in Montreal, is planning on using The Quebecers 90s entrance music, the “We’re not The Mounties, We’re Handsome, We’re Brave, We’re Strong,” song that Jacques Rougeau Jr. & Carl Ouelett used when they were tag team champions. He had been using “American Made” and would come out and pose to it, and always tore down the house.

If this happens Tom Lawlor will be even more of a great man than he already is.

Haha, Lawlor's always good for a chuckle, and I was suprsed about Guida too, I am guessing they are thinking they can throw it on if they get a chance but, they don't tend to show prelims on tv cards so... :(

I think the main reason is that Guida is on a 2 loss streak while Sakara has back to back wins.

You probably hit the nail on the head, but Guida's last 2 opponents have also been the last two opponents of a certain BJ Penn... We all know that both Diego and Kenny are elite level fighters, probably that level above Guida, yet like everyone else below BJ. Guida is popular and despite current win/loss levels they tend to stick with the popular guys who have done them well before (See: Jardine, Keith)

UFC Primetime Part 1

Guys, watch it if you haven't its brilliant, the ending has an amusing twist, and the show has Renzo on it :wub:

I am getting seriously excited about 111, I know we have UFC on Versus first, but still that 111, just looks like its gonna be a great night of fights

and Versus has Vera who I have never been a massive fan of :/