MMA News and Discussion Thread

Strikeforce is kind of shooting themselves in the foot right now. They have been on such a good run, but even with the Hendo signing they are losing a bit of ground.

-The Heavyweight title scene is a complete car wreck due to the Overeem/Fedor/Rogers situation. He won the title in 2007, right? It's 2010 and he is finally fighting again, like stated, not for the title. Fedor came in, knocked out their top prospect and then claimed contract dispute. Now the former top prospect, that was knocked out by the top heavyweight in the world, is fighting the champion in a non-title fight. The guy that should be next in line in most opinions (Werdum) is kind of lost in the shuffle while they guy he recently defeated (Silva) is facing the guy that the prospect most recently knocked out (Arlovski). If that confused you, I apologize.

-The Middleweight champion - win or lose - has one fight left on his contract and he has already stated that he is looking to "explore options" after said fight. Has also recently called out the top competitors Welterweight champion so it seems his focus is elsewhere. GSP also would like to face him so that puts a bit of leverage on his situation.

-The top 'bad boy' and Welterweight champion, Diaz, is on a tear as of late, but keeps calling out the same Welterweight champion from the competition. Even going as far as telling Dana White to "call me".

-It is also no secret that Robbie Lawler is trying to bang his way back to the UFC as soon as he can get Dana to take another shot on him.

At least they have Mousasi about to sign a long term deal.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Is it really shooting themselves in the foot though? As long as UFC's that much bigger, of course people are going to want to fight there rather than in Strikeforce.

The "shooting themselves in the foot" is more directed at the Heavyweight picture, but it trickles down. I'd apply it to the Middleweight picture as well with the way the title bouts and contractual agreements played out.

I'm not insinuating that the organization as a whole is doing such a thing, but the title scenes make them look mediocre at best right now.

Lashley is coming up, but as we learned with Rogers, we don't want to jump on the gun on him just yet so he is kind of void for as far as the title is concerned. The depth for Mousasi is questionable, but is the most stable division right now. Lightweight looks to be on steady ground as well, but it doesn't look good overall when 1/2 of your title pictures (3/5 of the male division where the cluster is taking place) looks scrambled to anyone watching.

Strikeforce's largest audience is the casual viewer at this point due to the CBS deal in place. MPH, while a handful of guys like you, myself, Fitzy, Maxx, Rich, etc. that follow MMA via internet and forums regularly are going to know what's going on, it will only serve to confuse the casuals that are just watching because it's on free, local television when they see previews/ads for the guy that just got knocked out last time they watched fighting the champion in a non-title fight.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Atleast it's a step up in competition for Overeem i mean yeh the Heavyweight division is kinda screwed up but i really don't see any other possible matchup that makes sense unlike this.

But i'll be honest the only man i can see with a chance against Fedor in Strikeforce is Overeem.

Thats the problem when your heavyweight champion doesn't defend the title in 3 years and you then happen to get the number 1 heavyweight in the world. Its a shame Josh Barnett failed the drug test (again) cause the only way i think you can defeat Fedor is in the standup and i really cannot see Werdum beating Fedor.

Arlovski had the perfect game plan but just split mistake in getting flashy and going for the flying knee cost him.

Should be a good end of the month for MMA what with 3 UFC events, start of the new Ultimate Fighter, DREAM 13 and a Strikeforce challengers event

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Courtesy MMAJunkie, a recap of some of the big names in indy MMA action this weekend:

Falaniko Vitale over Kalib Starnes (Submission, Round 1)

Jason MacDonald over Vernon White (Submission, Round 3)

John Alessio over Chris Clements (Submission, Round 1)

Ryan Ford over Tommy Speer (Submission, Round 1)

Ricco Rodriguez over Brian Ryan (TKO, Round 2)

Dan Severn over Buddy Dixon (TKO, Round 2)

Courtesy MMAJunkie, a recap of some of the big names in indy MMA action this weekend:

Falaniko Vitale over Kalib Starnes (Submission, Round 1)

Jason MacDonald over Vernon White (Submission, Round 3)

John Alessio over Chris Clements (Submission, Round 1)

Ryan Ford over Tommy Speer (Submission, Round 1)

Ricco Rodriguez over Brian Ryan (TKO, Round 2)

Dan Severn over Buddy Dixon (TKO, Round 2)

2em280i.jpg

:shifty:

Dan Severn is only 7 fights away from 100 victories. Having only 16 losses in 108 fights isn't bad at all, especially at his age.

Dan has discovered the secret power of the moustache. So too has Don Frye but he's opted for full beard now but still pretty awesome beard at that :P

Tuff 'n' Uff are having a free stream for their card tonight (I believe its gonna be 7pm PST start) They are a amateur orginisation, however the mainevent bout has Randy Couture's son Ryan fighting if you're interested.

Once on the main page go to the events drop-down and choose live stream at the bottom, you just have to put your email address in (Y)

Guest Mr. Cheese Head

Bellator has announced a Paulo FIlho/Hector Lombard superfight on May 13. Could be good, but regardless of excitement level it's definitely the biggest test of Lombard's fighting level we've seen yet.

Guest Mr. Murray Head

Jason Miller vs. Tim Stout has been added to the prelims of next week's CBS show, the thinking being that it'll be a quick win for Mayhem they can show if the other fights end early and they have time to fill.

I used to dislike Mayhem quite a lot, but nowadays I quite enjoy his mad antics. It should be a straight forward fight for him, but I always question his interest in fighting itself, he has interests in tv with Bully Beatdown, and now is working with HDNet a fair bit, makes me wonder if his heart is truely in the game anymore.