MMA News and Discussion Thread

I think they should hold it off. I'm not a business man or an experienced MMA fight booker but I don't think holding an immediate rematch is a good idea. Let it build up a bit, like, wait a year or something like they did with Bonnar vs. Griffin.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Problem with that is that right now both those guys have a tremendous amount of momentum. If either of them has a lackluster fight or two before the rematch, it loses a lot of steam.

Trust me try the WEC, the smaller weight classes put on such a good show, its owned by Zuffa so the production values are as good as UFC... And they only put on a show every 6/8 weeks so its not hard to keep up with, and if you're American its on Versus :)

How very dare you! I am an Englishman!

Ta for the tip though. What's this Garcia/Zombie fight all about?

Josh Barnett is putting his MMA career on the back burner and wrestling for Antonio Inoki's IGF. I guess that answers the questions about drug use.

No, it really doesn't. You guys hate on Biggz all the time, but that right there is just as bad the stuff guys give him grief for.

I am also hearing reports that Barnett is fighting a Brazilian heavyweight called Geronimo Dos Santos in Strikeforce in the summer.

Oh and Drags, the Garcia/Zombie fight was on the prelims for the WEC event last weekend, whch means i didn't get to see it until the replayed it at the end of the event, but its was like the Griffin vs Bonnar fight from the end of TUF 1 in that people must have been calling their friends to put the fight on as the viewership doubled from the beginning of the first round to the end of the third, and the the decision went to Garcia which was controversial as many people (including me) marked it for the "Korean Zombie". It wasn't the most technical of fights, but it was a fucking slug fest, apparently Garcia broke his hand and Chang Sung Jung (if I am typing it right) has to have tests for a broken wrist, it was brutal.

Those rumours about Barnett/Geronimo Dos Santos is for a new event in Australia called Impact MMA and if Dos Santos wins he's supposed to be going to Strikeforce. The thing about Barnett that annoyed me is the fact that he's missed the appeals a few times and it doesn't do him any favours. Plus his last fight was garbage with Mighty Mo it should have been a DQ.

Joe Rogan has made some interesting points about how MMA judges should use monitors http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/28/1449205/quote-of-the-day-joe-rogan-speaks

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Sorry Toffee, but give me an explanation for Barnett preferring to fight in Japan (where there is no drug testing), focusing more on pro wrestling (where there is no drug testing), failing a drug test, and no-showing his appeal, that makes more sense than "he's taking drugs".

Sorry Toffee, but give me an explanation for Barnett preferring to fight in Japan (where there is no drug testing), focusing more on pro wrestling (where there is no drug testing), failing a drug test, and no-showing his appeal, that makes more sense than "he's taking drugs".

There has to be some sort of rule in these threads like there is in The Ring about jumping to the drug conclusion. Because a MMA fighter is overseas pro wrestling suddenly that's all the evidence needed? Barnett has a history in pro wrestling that is nearly a decade old. It's not like him wrestling is something that just happened to spring up out of the blue.

-The first appearance he was overseas wrestling a pre-scheduled match and the commission denied his lawyer the right to speak on his behalf, which is not an issue that has come up before.

-I'm not too sure what happened with the second appearance, but from all the statements that came out regarding that no-show it was Barnett's decision to wait out the suspension after comments made by Dodd regarding his career's future.

You also seem to forget that he has a relationship with Sengoku set up that requires him to take a drug test before fighting. That's straight out of Takahiro Kokuho's mouth.

You're comparing "oh, hey, he's seeking out the game in town where he won't get drug tested, I guess we know why" to "oh, he died, oh well, fucking drug addict".

You realize that is what you just did yes.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

DREAM has cancelled their LHW tournament because they decided to hold the show in a ring and not everybody had proper time to prepare for the ring. Obviously this is the correct reason and should not be given any further thought. :)

Not the reasons I am reading :(

Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this year for both K-1 and Real Entertainment, the parent company of DREAM filled with ex-PRIDE staffers from Dream stage Entertainment. (Get it… Real Entertainment, Dream Stage… clever, aren’t they? It’s like Nobuyuki Sakakibara having Ubon Inc. as a company because Ubon is Nobu spelled backwards.)

The last part of Josh’s comments is the most important to focus on. Tokyo Broadcasting System not ponying up the cash to pay for a Light Heavyweight GP tournament featuring Gegard Mousasi and Renato Babalu is not surprising. TBS wants Japanese stars and ratings. DREAM features neither of those qualities. To top it off, the 5/29 Saitama event is headlined by Nick Diaz vs. Hayato Sakurai in a Strikeforce vs. DREAM interpromotional feud that has zero juice to it. Any juice that could have been obtained was squashed when Gilbert Melendez destroyed Shin’ya Aoki in Nashville on April 17th.

The purpose of DREAM for K-1 was largely as a television property to keep any possible MMA competitors off of over-the-air Japanese television. Since cable and satellite television is not a viable option for a Japanese fight promotion to generate much cash flow with, OTA is the only way to survive as a major league property in that country. Without TBS cooperating, DREAM as an entity is largely dead and everyone knows it.

The goal of K-1 Godfather Kazuyoshi Ishii was to control the entire pipeline of television for the fight business in Japan. He achieved that goal once PRIDE died. He was the only ball game in town. Wanted to promote your league in Japan and be on television? You had to go through him and do business on his terms, meaning you picked up a lot of the costs for producing a live show and K-1 split some television money. The plan, in theory, is a great one unless the product you put on television has no appeal to Japanese television audiences.

So what happens if DREAM dies and K-1 struggles to keep their network television deals going? It opens the door for someone else to try to get their own OTA television deal. The problem is that there is no real competition in the fight game right now. Also, anyone with a questionable background in Japan is not going to put a lot of skin in the game given that PRIDE had their fallout from the yakuza scandal.

But let’s say that someone does try to make a play for an OTA deal given K-1’s current weakness. The most likely candidate to try to make something happen would be Takahiro Kokuho, the boss of J-ROCK (the managing company of Hidehiko Yoshida and his stablemates). Kokuho is the classic successful-agent-turned-failed-promoter businessman in the fight game. When he was top dog as an agent during the PRIDE days, he got his man Yoshida an estimated $5 million USD fight purse to fight Naoya Ogawa for a New Year’s Eve event. Like most agents in Japan, Kokuho’s power source backing him was very strong. Once PRIDE collapsed, Kokuho ended up trying a major play with Sengoku. Kokuho claimed that he would be the antithesis of DREAM booking and that he had “scientific methods” of booking fights. In the end, he was a terrible booker and committed the ultimate sin in the fight game — he was and is boring.

In many respects, Mr. Kokuho is the Japanese version of Monte Cox without the volume of fighters Monte has on smaller deals. Both men have had big track records in the fight game as agents and have delivered in big deals. (Ask Tim Sylvia about that regarding those Affliction pay days.) However, neither man is what you would call someone who would do well leading a major-league MMA promotion.

So, if Mr. Kokuho isn’t the man ready to crack open the door for an MMA play in Japan, who is? Antonio Inoki? Been there, done that. It’s possible he could get one more shot on a trial basis with a network given that he still has name value in the country. But who else is there who could make something work should DREAM entirely collapse? It’s difficult to say. Akira Maeda has his promotion with The Outsiders but it’s largely just to stay occasionally active in the business. Right now, the Japanese promoter war chest is largely empty.

However, don’t make the mistake of assuming that a UFC-type product could waltz into the Japanese marketplace and do strong business consistently. The Japanese fight fans want a Japanese product with Japanese faces all the way around. Unfortunately for DREAM, they really haven’t been able to deliver too much on that end lately, either.

http://www.fightopinion.com/2010/04/29/dream-saitama-super-arena-shaky/

I have just got a copy of the ADCC championships 2009. For those who don't know its the premier grappling (Sambo, BJJ, Wrestling, Judo, etc...) comeptition and is held every other year (kind of like a World Cup of grappling, no strikes are allowed). Anyway, its really good, there are some familiar names from MMA in it and the level of these guys is off the chart, I mean I knew Dean lister was good, but WOW. and Ricco Rodriguez looks in shape again, which is a pleasent suprise.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Robbie Lawler will fight Babalu on the June 16 Strikeforce/Showtime card, which will also feature Bobby Lashley and KJ Noons (not against each other, thankfully).