MMA News and Discussion Thread

Jens Pulver was released. Nothing surprising there. He went 1-5 in his WEC career, so this is the right call. Bellator has a 145 division, he could probably go there.

As for Faber going to bantamweight, can't wait to finally see Torres vs. Faber.

Pulver's just about retired anway, he has been on a tough streak and I don't think his hearts in it at the moment. I am all for him going away, developing his gym and spending time with his young family, and if he gets the hunger back, go for it, I really love Lil Evil and I hope we haven't seen the last of him.

As for Faber dropping a weight class, it'll open up a lot of chances for some great matches at 135, Faber vs Torres as mentioned could be huge, vs. Leonard Garcia could be great fun, the we have Bowles and Cruz as well, Faber has another 1 or 2 years of high level fights at 135 before we even think "what's next?" for the California Kid

Because I have spoken to him twice over the phone, my pull with Reed Harris and therefore Sean Shelby made this happen :shifty:

Actually, for just pulling it out of the air that is a fight I am really looking forward to :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

If I understand what's being hinted at in the latest Observer correctly, Batista has been offered a spot headlining an indie MMA PPV against Tim Sylvia. :huh:

(Less likely opponents: Ken Shamrock, Josh Barnett, Pedro Rizzo)

I think a motivated Timmy beats Pedro. He looks to want to get his career back on track, if only to collect a few more paydays. People are forgetting, he lost to Nogueira, Fedor, and Ray Mercer. As embarrassing as the Mercer loss is, he was standing with a great pro boxer, it's not exactly an indictment on anything other than poor game planning. I think the weight issue is a bigger one for him, but if I recall correctly, he came in better shape for the Pudz fight than he has in some of his more recent outings (not that it takes much).

I also think Barnett would beat him up and Shamrock would be an easy win. Pedro is the best fight for him because it's a fight he should be able to win against a somewhat credible opponent.

Edited by Indie913

Guest Mr. Potato Head

To clear that up: I meant possible MMA opponents for Batista, not for Sylvia. Batista's been offered two fights, the first of which is against "a well known multi-time PPV headliner", and I assumed that to mean Sylvia.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I want it to be Herschel Walker.

It would be an awesome clash of real sports vs sports entertainment.

Huge perception problem in that though, people would see 'Herschel Walker is fighting a pro wrestler' and immediately decide it has to be fixed. I'm not sure he's get cleared to fight anybody above Walker's level, so it's obviously the most marketable fight, but it's only going to bring out some of the more prevalent anti-MMA arguments.