MMA News and Discussion Thread

That sucks. :(

I was really looking forward to that fight, had the makings of an exciting fight. Oh well, but since Mizugaki was pulled from the card, I assume they want to reschedule it so we'll still see it eventually, which is good.

In more WEC news, they are putting two guys involved in fight of the year candidates at WEC 51 with Mark Hominick vs. Leonard Garcia. The Korean Zombie also makes his return there as he faces George Roop and most likely Jose Aldo defending against Manny Gamburyan.

So instead of doing a tournament to crown the new middleweight champion, Strikeforce has decided to go with Jacare Souza against Tim Kennedy. Though the tournament could determine the next challenger if they decide to go that route. Also on this card for August 21 will be King Mo defending the light heavyweight title against Rafael Feijao and KJ Noons vs. Jorge Gurgel. Bobby Lashley will be on it by no opponent announced yet.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Apparently Bas Rutten was offered a spot at the early UFC shows but he turned it down because of the no-rules atmosphere. Might already be common knowledge but I hadn't heard it before so I thought I'd pass it on.

No, its not that, its much more along the lines of him being proud and not an idiot, when there was less rules and the money wasn't so good he didn't like the idea of the "Ultimate Figthing" he thought it barbaric and didn't have the honour of the martial arts, now remember the phrase "Mixed Martial Arts" wasn't coined until 1995/6 (can't remember off the top of my head), he was making lots of money in Japan with Pancrase which had more rules and as a result was deemed by Rutten to be safer and obviously the risk of going to the fledgling UFC was not worth the monetary reward. Some of the early stuff in the UFC was brutal, Tank's knock out early on for example is still horrendous to watch.

I also find it amazing that Big John McCarthy was going to fight at UFC 2, but being a student of Rorian Gracie didn't participate in that fashion because Royce was competing again, as a result of his association with the Gracies, and his professional history in the LAPD he was offered the refereeing job and the rest is history. :)

No, its not that, its much more along the lines of him being proud and not an idiot, when there was less rules and the money wasn't so good he didn't like the idea of the "Ultimate Figthing" he thought it barbaric and didn't have the honour of the martial arts, now remember the phrase "Mixed Martial Arts" wasn't coined until 1995/6 (can't remember off the top of my head), he was making lots of money in Japan with Pancrase which had more rules and as a result was deemed by Rutten to be safer and obviously the risk of going to the fledgling UFC was not worth the monetary reward. Some of the early stuff in the UFC was brutal, Tank's knock out early on for example is still horrendous to watch.

I also find it amazing that Big John McCarthy was going to fight at UFC 2, but being a student of Rorian Gracie didn't participate in that fashion because Royce was competing again, as a result of his association with the Gracies, and his professional history in the LAPD he was offered the refereeing job and the rest is history. :)

I'd read about McCarthy before. And I know Herb Dean and Josh something (the one with the tattoos who refs in the UFC) are both fighters, or were. Which Tank knockout are you referring to? I remember years ago downloading an oooold highlight video on Kazaa or something, it had a Sherdog watermark and was soundtracked by Filter's Hey Man Nice Shot, there was some brutal stuff on there. Like some bloke trapping aother guy in a crucifix and elbowing a hole into his face.

I'd read about McCarthy before. And I know Herb Dean and Josh something (the one with the tattoos who refs in the UFC) are both fighters, or were. Which Tank knockout are you referring to? I remember years ago downloading an oooold highlight video on Kazaa or something, it had a Sherdog watermark and was soundtracked by Filter's Hey Man Nice Shot, there was some brutal stuff on there. Like some bloke trapping aother guy in a crucifix and elbowing a hole into his face.

Either this one vs Matua or this one vs Nelmark

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Moosin MMA is planning a second show, featuring Marius Pudzianowski vs. Kimbo Slice, Tim Sylvia vs. Hong-Man Choi, and perhaps Butterbean.