MMA News and Discussion Thread

Due to this thread I've stopped my Strikeforce download to speed up my WEC:50 one, seems to be the right choice. Plus I love a good Jorgensen fight.

Great choice. WEC 50 is way better than this Strikeforce card, though the Main Event did let me down in comparison to the rest of the fights on the card.

EDIT: What's the latest on Lashley?

Edited by Powerhart

Anybody here catch Sengoku 14 on HDNet?

I DVR'ed it and, holy shit, it was totally worth the 4+ hours just for Santiago/Misaki. Awesome fight. It's also nice to finally see some of the homegrown/Japanese talent reign supreme over the "foreign invaders", it's just so disheartening to see this happen in arenas that are half empty. If/when DREAM closes, I really hope Sengoku gets some sort of boost just by virtue of being the biggest company in the country because they really deserve it, they're going about this whole "rebuilding Japanese MMA" the right way by actually building up "homegrown" talent as opposed to bringing in big names or freak shows for one or two match deals (IE: Dream) that don't really amount to much.

Even though Gono just lost his debut match with the company.

<_<

If you missed it, at least try to catch the last half of the card (Thompson/Okuno and out).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Joe Warren will be leaving MMA next year to focus on trying to make the US 2012 Olympic wrestling team.

Cue string of people wondering whether GSP will do the same (he won't).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AhnjPIip02a01zTl6bC3wKc9Eo14?slug=dm-linear090310

Neat article from Meltzer, basically copied directly from one of this week's Observers, tracing the history of the "best in the world" title at each weight class regardless of promotional titles (though all using UFC as a starting point).

Well Shark Fights delivered with a few great fights tonight but what I'll be downloading the event for tomorrow [or whenever it gets uploaded] for is because of Don Frye.. I haven't laughed this hard during an MMA event since The Voice was spewing one liners during the Barnett/Mighty Mo fight back in.. I wanna say April but March sounds a bit more correct.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The problem is that people are coming away from Shark Fights 13 talking mostly about the awesome announce team...nobody's going to buy a PPV for the announce team. Bas and Don spent way too much time putting themselves and each other over, and not enough selling the product. It felt like the commentators were three guys sitting in the crowd who happened to have microphones. It's things like this that make me realize just how good Goldberg and Rogan are.