MMA News and Discussion Thread

Oh God, there are times when I make stupid comments, there are times when I over exagerate, but by the grace of God, this may be my favourite piece of news in a very, very long time from MMAJunkie.com

[quoteHere comes the Hammer.

Stanley Burrell, also known as MC Hammer, announced today that he's getting into the MMA business with Alchemist Management, a new management and "brand-building" firm based out of Los Angeles.

"I've been a fan of combat sports for years," MC Hammer stated today in a press release. "MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world and this is a great opportunity for us to launch a full-service management company."

Known for 90s mega-hits such as "U Can't Touch This" and "2 Legit 2 Quit" and his trademark Hammer Pants, MC Hammer's rise to fame and sudden bankruptcy were perfect fodder for VH1's "Behind the Music." The hip-hop artist later became a minister and continued to work on a comeback while appearing on VH1's "The Surreal Life."

MC Hammer was most recently starred on A&E's reality series "Hammertime," which profiled his life as a family man and entrepreneur. It ran for 12 episodes in 2009.

In his new MMA venture, MC Hammer will take the reigns as CEO of Alchemist while managers Lex MacMahon and Nima Safapour will join the company as President and Vice President of Business Affairs and General Counsel, respectively.

The firm has amassed several high-profile MMA names, including former UFC middleweight contender Nate Marquardt and veterans Vladimir Matyushenko, Jorge Rivera, Jared Hamman, Antoni Hardonk and James McSweeney. Current Strikeforce middleweight contender Tim Kennedy has also signed on.

Safapour and McMahon previously managed several of the competitors now inked to Alchemist.

"Alchemist Management will leverage its relationships and resources for the benefit of fighters, the sponsors, and the industry at large," MC Hammer stated.

In social networking terms, you could say Hammer's star is too legit. An early advocate of Twitter, Hammer has 1.8 million Twitter followers to White's 1.1 million-plus. ]

Oh God, there are times when I make stupid comments, there are times when I over exagerate, but by the grace of God, this may be my favourite piece of news in a very, very long time from MMAJunkie.com

Here comes the Hammer.

Stanley Burrell, also known as MC Hammer, announced today that he's getting into the MMA business with Alchemist Management, a new management and "brand-building" firm based out of Los Angeles.

"I've been a fan of combat sports for years," MC Hammer stated today in a press release. "MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world and this is a great opportunity for us to launch a full-service management company."

Known for 90s mega-hits such as "U Can't Touch This" and "2 Legit 2 Quit" and his trademark Hammer Pants, MC Hammer's rise to fame and sudden bankruptcy were perfect fodder for VH1's "Behind the Music." The hip-hop artist later became a minister and continued to work on a comeback while appearing on VH1's "The Surreal Life."

MC Hammer was most recently starred on A&E's reality series "Hammertime," which profiled his life as a family man and entrepreneur. It ran for 12 episodes in 2009.

In his new MMA venture, MC Hammer will take the reigns as CEO of Alchemist while managers Lex MacMahon and Nima Safapour will join the company as President and Vice President of Business Affairs and General Counsel, respectively.

The firm has amassed several high-profile MMA names, including former UFC middleweight contender Nate Marquardt and veterans Vladimir Matyushenko, Jorge Rivera, Jared Hamman, Antoni Hardonk and James McSweeney. Current Strikeforce middleweight contender Tim Kennedy has also signed on.

Safapour and McMahon previously managed several of the competitors now inked to Alchemist.

"Alchemist Management will leverage its relationships and resources for the benefit of fighters, the sponsors, and the industry at large," MC Hammer stated.

In social networking terms, you could say Hammer's star is too legit. An early advocate of Twitter, Hammer has 1.8 million Twitter followers to White's 1.1 million-plus.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Frye/Takayama of hockey fights:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

Shine Fights is continuing their latest attempt at becoming a major MMA player by offering something closer to freak shows - their show on Sept. 10 will include a one-night, eight-man lightweight tournament featuring big names like Richard Crunkilton, Drew Fickett, CHARLES KRAZY HORSE BENNETT, and Marcus Aurelio.

So, you guys have probably heard about Dream not paying their fighters lately, and the reason appears to be that they are in deep financial trouble which could cause them to fold soon.

We've been on this story for a good part of the year, and as you can assume, we've heard everything under the sun about it. First, we heard that it was being alarmist to claim that FEG was having serious financial problems and our sources were probably just exaggerating. Then the buildings were on fire and imminent death was in sight. Then we weren't being harsh enough towards FEG and painting a truly doomed picture.

All of the stories coming from FEG have been very cautious, and the company has been alarmingly quiet since the last round of shows (K-1 MAX and DREAM.15), where usually there would be press conferences, leaked fights for upcoming cards and rumors in general about upcoming cards. Even Tanikawa, who usually lit up twitter daily has been quiet. The PUJI investment story is really all we've heard from K-1 lately, and all that talked about was an investment bank planning to help out FEG and some Japanese grandstanding about global expansion. Things first looked a bit off when the DREAM in Korea show was called off and there was something about a television deal falling through and FEG having to negotiate a brand new contract.

The planning K-1 World Grand Prix format for this year also mysteriously fell through, with the Eastern Europe GP falling through, the Asia GP not happening and the Final 16 Qualifying Tournament not happening, either. If you look at the graphin the last link, the K-1 World Grand Prix this year has unfolded not as planned, at all. There is supposed to be a K-1 MAX Final 16 show in Europe in September, but the K-1 Official site, which usually lists upcoming shows on the right hand column has no sign of it anymore. The next show listed is the Koshien tournament, which there has been little actual news of to date.

The blog Nightmare of Battle usually steers away from too much business talk and simply promotes the fights, and in an interesting turn posted a news story today that addresses a lot of the recent FEG rumors. FEG has been notorious for stiffing foreign fighters, and paying them only if they return to Japan to either fight again or demand their pay. Well, not anymore, as apparently Japanese fighters are now owed money, which makes things seem a lot more dire. Editor of Kamipro magazine, Saito, is the one who is spilling this info and let's it be known that there are many contributing factors to FEG's financial woes; the Ishii tax evasion scandal, the PRIDE yakuza scandal, Yoshihiro Akiyama's "greasegate" against Kazushi Sakuraba, television stations paying 30-50% less last year for FEG programming and the increase of fight purses. All of these have led to FEG being on the ropes as they are now.

The "unpleasant rumor" that Saito heard is still up in the air, but NOB thinks it could be as bad as the World Grand Prix and DREAM.16 being postponed or canceled completely. The hope is that this is all just alarmist conjecture and everything happens as planned, but with more and more fighters stepping forward upset about their distinct lack of pay or communication from FEG, anything can happen.

If you are a kickboxing fan you better hope that HDNet starts working with Simon Rutz and It's Showtime!!

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/8/18/1629578/things-falling-apart-fegs-cracks

As you know, several FEG fighters have not been paid their guaranteed fight money. Bibiano Fernandes, Gary Goodridge, Andy Souwer, etc. Japanese MMA magazine Kamipro editor-in-chief Saito talked about the situation yesterday.

Apparently this has been going on since the latter half of the 1st year of DREAM and it’s not only foreign fighters who haven’t been paid on time, it’s Japanese fighters as well.

It also seems like FEG have barely stayed alive these recent years. They were only able to pay fighters due to the money they got from the TV broadcast of Dynamite!! events in recent years.

He reveals some of the reasons for them losing money:

* Due to the K-1 tax evasion in the past (which caused K-1 godfather Ishii to go to jail) additional tax has to be paid.

* The PRIDE Yakuza/Fuji TV scandal and the Akiyama greasing event lost them sponsors.

* Fight purses increasing.

* Decreased money from TV channels (last year it was down 30-50%).

etc.

Basically income has decreased while expenses have increased and it seems like the situation is even worse than we can guess.

The PUJI deal seems to take a while since all kinds of preparations that need time are needed. But it’s very bad right now, no announcement on the schedule of MAX, Koshien isn’t 100%. He says: “I heard a somewhat unpleasant rumor…”.

In short, PUJI is the last ray of hope. If PUJI funds do not come in, it’s “the end”. Another question is if FEG can endure until then. At worst the 2010 World GP and DREAM.16 might be postponed or terminated completely.

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=3293

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Stephan Bonnar has improved drastically as a commentator since his debut.

Also WEC is putting on another amazing show, Roller/Pettis being the latest fight to steal the show.

Stephan Bonnar has improved drastically as a commentator since his debut.

Also WEC is putting on another amazing show, Roller/Pettis being the latest fight to steal the show.

I only caught the main event fight because I just got off work in time to see it, but it was amazing, and I agree 100% that Bonnar's commentating is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was on his first show. I'm not sure if it's that he's had more rest since being knocked around, or if he's put in the work to get better, but either way... if he continues like he was doing tonight, I would be more than happy to have him there full time. He's knowledgable and excited about the product. I love it.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That's what I love about WEC - you only caught the main event and thought it was amazing, I'd say Jorgensen/Pickett and Roller/Pettis were both well ahead of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fights I missed were just as good or better!

Guest The Head

What now?

Two protected golden boys lost, as did a third who was less protected but just as overhyped.

There was a knockout that didn't count because it was after the bell. So he came back out for the second round and lost to, among other things, a blatantly illegal kick.

And they pretended that Jake Shields was released from Strikeforce, even though it makes no sense to release a champion for no apparent reason.

None of which made up for how horrible the fights were. :shifty:

What now?

Two protected golden boys lost, as did a third who was less protected but just as overhyped.

There was a knockout that didn't count because it was after the bell. So he came back out for the second round and lost to, among other things, a blatantly illegal kick.

And they pretended that Jake Shields was released from Strikeforce, even though it makes no sense to release a champion for no apparent reason.

None of which made up for how horrible the fights were. :shifty:

Is Lashley the Strikefroce "golden boy", or Kennedy?

o_O

I read a pretty good post on bloodyelbow about Strikeforce's problems in properly hyping their fights as more than just one-man showcases, and it's come back to bite them on the ass tonight. The gist of it is that had they hyped their matches as an even (or at least competitive) fight, as the UFC has done with everything from Jones/Matyushenko to Silva/Sonnen, the winners would at least be able to carry some of the momentum of the unfortunate losers as they would be more than just no-names who defeated small-time "name" fighters from a lesser promotion in the eyes of the casual fans. And, that's true. Guys like Griggs & Cavalcante have easy-enough stories to market (firefighter-turned-fighter and ex-"next big thing" on a redemption tour) that there's no reason they were basically treated as nothing more than "Lashley's Can" and "King Mo's Can" in just about every promotional clip.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Guest The Head

Replying to above spoiler:

Lashley and King Mo were the two who were protected, based on how Strikeforce seemed to perceive their opponents. Kennedy less so, because everybody was acknowledging that that one could go either way.

Doesn't help that there wasn't really an exciting fight on the card either.