MMA News and Discussion Thread

The refereeing in the Women's match was horrible, Kim Winslow deserves some form of punishment for letting the fight go on past the middle of the first. It was like she had a vendetta aginst Finney to let that beating contuinue for so long :/

I don't know how this loss effects Fedor and M-1. Does this loss destroy their bargaining power now?

I still want to see Overeem vs. Fedor.

Massively.

I can't believe Fedor tapped, I always imagined he'd be the type of guy you'd need to break a limb, dislocate a joint or put to sleep to win.

Sad that fedor tapped but its only one real L on his record. He still the man.

Annnnnd watching this just makes me want the man to squash whoever he fights next

The refereeing in the Women's match was horrible, Kim Winslow deserves some form of punishment for letting the fight go on past the middle of the first. It was like she had a vendetta aginst Finney to let that beating contuinue for so long :/

All throughout the first round, Finney was still at least attempting to defend herself. I thought it was kind of refreshing for a referee to objectively allow the match to continue until the fighter stopped defending himself/herself, instead of pre-emptively ending it. Although the beating Finney took was fucking barbaric.

Just a couple random notes:

Finney's management thought she had a broken orbital bone and broken ribs, turns out she is just bruised and has a black eye.

Fedor seems kind of happy, well not happy but you understand, that he lost. Maybe felt a relief of pressure ala Matt Hughes to BJ Penn.

Werdum is a hilarious man.

Scott Coker was not pleased with a media member asking a question to Fedor about him possibly attending UFC 116, the answer was no of course. But Coker stopped himself from going off of the reporter.

Babalu is funny.

Werdum is apprently king of Xbox in his camp.

Interesting pitch from media that Coker actually seemed to think about, although not likely to do, have Cyborg's headline a show on their anniversary since both are winning. He at least chuckled at the notion.

Cyborg really wanted to leave and go party.

The Brazilians were happy people, they were fist pumping one another at the table.

Coker seemed perturbed that someone asked everyone who would win the World Cup, Coker jumped in and said, "not the US"

Loudest pop of the night was Thomson's third round finish to an exciting fight, followed by Fedor.

And Meltzer is good peeps.

All throughout the first round, Finney was still at least attempting to defend herself. I thought it was kind of refreshing for a referee to objectively allow the match to continue until the fighter stopped defending himself/herself, instead of pre-emptively ending it. Although the beating Finney took was fucking barbaric.

I couldn't believe Winslow allowed that fight to make it to the 2nd round. Since when is turtling up considered intelligently defending oneself? I agree that Winslow should be reprimanded for endangering Finney.

I couldn't believe Winslow allowed that fight to make it to the 2nd round. Since when is turtling up considered intelligently defending oneself? I agree that Winslow should be reprimanded for endangering Finney.

The only instance I can remember where Finney simply covered up and didn't try to swing back or counter the assault in any way was when Cyborg was pounding on the back of her head, and it could (and should) have been ended right then and there if not for the illegal strikes. Outside of that, though, even though her attempts were ridiculously futile, she was at least trying to fight back. It was brutal, but I didn't have a problem personally with the ref keeping it going since she was still fighting back. Finney's got some fuckin' cojones on her, too.

The only instance I can remember where Finney simply covered up and didn't try to swing back or counter the assault in any way was when Cyborg was pounding on the back of her head, and it could (and should) have been ended right then and there if not for the illegal strikes. Outside of that, though, even though her attempts were ridiculously futile, she was at least trying to fight back. It was brutal, but I didn't have a problem personally with the ref keeping it going since she was still fighting back. Finney's got some fuckin' cojones on her, too.

I really hope she doesn't

• Like 1

Seriously, Fedor losing for me is like someone telling me that Santa Claus isn't real. :shifty:

I obviously don't frequent as many MMA based places as some people, but I don't get why people were really looking for Fedor to lose. I mean, the guy's record speaks for itself, is their really a surprise people think he is the best fighter in MMA?

The refereeing in the Women's match was horrible, Kim Winslow deserves some form of punishment for letting the fight go on past the middle of the first. It was like she had a vendetta aginst Finney to let that beating contuinue for so long...

Totally agree. Although I'm having doubts that Winslow wouldn't like her punishment :-D. After what I saw saturday, she must be some kind of SM queen...

Fedor losing was... wow. First, my reaction was: ok, that's the end for Strikeforce. However... after rethinking, it could be a very good thing. The only thing they shouldn't do now is have an immediate rematch. Let's face it... before saturday, Strikeforce heavyweight division had one fight left: Overeem Vs Fedor. Now, that's not possible anymore (although with Strikeforce you never know). They could go for Fedor vs Werdum II, but... now they have another exciting match in the return of Fedor. Give him Antonio Silva and that would be a main-event worthy fight. Follow the rules of any normal sport and put on Overeem Vs Werdum (as planned... they only said it like 5 times on the show, so they shouldn't change their minds now that Werdum won anyway). Overeem vs Werdum would be a classic striker vs grappler match. They can bill Overeem as the champ, Werdum as the Fedor-killer.

Next, if Fedor defeats Silva, you have either finally Overeem vs Fedor, or the rematch Werdum-Fedorn both 'dream' matchups. That means your heavyweight division will be exciting for at least the next year. Seems to me that's better then having a quick cash on an immediate rematch...

Liam:

You could claim it back in 2005 when he fought the best in the world and won, but he hasn't really fought the best for a while, Arlovski was top 5, but I refused to accept Timmmmaaay as top 5 after his loss to Couture. Really since he fought Cro Cop in 2005 then he has had two good fights, Arlovski and now Werdum (Lindland possibly, the guy was the number 2 middlewieght fighter in the world at the time). Fedor hasn't looked invincible for a while and other fighters have fought better fighters and won time after time like GSP and Anderson Silva in the recent years, thats my problem, Fedor hasn't really been top pound-for-pound to me for a while because of his lack of activity and lack of real competition in comaprison to other fighters.

bolleje:

Its also a revenge match for Overeem, Werdum beat him back in the day in Pride.

Fuck you both. -_-

I also can't believe he tapped, it looked like he really wanted to punch the guy but then hesitated and decided to tap instead. Dissapointed, and yeah, this should make Dana White even more unbearable.