MMA News and Discussion Thread

K-1 has developed in to a style though as it has hydrid-ised tae kwon do, thai boxing and muay thai into a general sport. I don't think you could say a Badr Hari for example was a practioner in any single one of those.

Much like MMA has now developed in to a style of martial arts in itself as people train in MMA rather than chosing a BJJ or a karate or even a boxing.

My other part of my original arguement that kind fo got lost along the way was if you are going to be one-dimensional tae kwon do is not necesarrily the best for that. Wrestling, BJJ or even a more mixed form of kick boxing that includes the hands (tae kwon do really does suffer from a lowered guard) would stand a better chance.

K-1 has developed in to a style though as it has hydrid-ised tae kwon do, thai boxing and muay thai into a general sport. I don't think you could say a Badr Hari for example was a practioner in any single one of those.

Much like MMA has now developed in to a style of martial arts in itself as people train in MMA rather than chosing a BJJ or a karate or even a boxing.

My other part of my original arguement that kind fo got lost along the way was if you are going to be one-dimensional tae kwon do is not necesarrily the best for that. Wrestling, BJJ or even a more mixed form of kick boxing that includes the hands (tae kwon do really does suffer from a lowered guard) would stand a better chance.

I think we have been arguing ITF versus WTF here, unknowingly to one another.

sorry to say guys but i'm gonna have to stand you both back up.

Strikeforce are possibly set to have an 8 man tournament for the Middleweight Title over two events.

"Coker told MMAjunkie.com he is considering eight fighters for a potential tournament to begin at an event planned for Aug. 21: Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Robbie Lawler, Tim Kennedy, Dan Henderson, Nick Diaz and "Mayhem" Miller. Additionally, the winner of a June 26 bout between Scott Smith and Cung Le is under consideration for a tourney spot, as is the winner of an upcoming World Victory Road/Sengoku bout between Kazuo Misaki and champ Jorge Santiago."

Now that would be an awesome tournament to watch :)

Edited by davidmarrio
  • Like 1

That was awesome. Amazing job, Fabricio threw punches, landed none of them, sunk in the triangle and armbar at the same time and caused Fedor to tap out, simply amazing.

Dana has upgraded from :) during the Strikeforce brawl a few months back to :D for this now.

That was awesome. Amazing job, Fabricio threw punches, landed none of them, sunk in the triangle and armbar at the same time and caused Fedor to tap out, simply amazing.

Dana has upgraded from :) during the Strikeforce brawl a few months back to :D for this now.

Literally.

• Like 1

Fedor made a massive mistake going in to Werdum's guard htat early in a fight. never dive in to Werdum's guard before you're sweaty, you will not be able to slide out until you are sweaty and slippery, Werdum's particular style of BJJ is much more agressive than Big Nog's for example. I am just disappointed that Fedor seemed to make an uncharactersitic mistake, but wow does this make Werdum a top heavyweight, the guy has victories of Overeem, Gonzaga (twice), Vera and both Emelianenkos now. This is an impressive resumé for Werdum, unfortunately I don't think we will be seeing Werdum against any of the top UFC guys for a while :/.

Saw the fight. That Hell's Gate is a hell of a hold.

They aren't the same. Werdum used a trinagle choke with an armbar added for good measure, the Hell's Gate is a modified gogoplata, different moves, set up in different ways <_<

Saw the fight. That Hell's Gate is a hell of a hold.

They aren't the same. Werdum used a trinagle choke with an armbar added for good measure, the Hell's Gate is a modified gogoplata, different moves, set up in different ways <_<

Knew someone would say that. It was funny to me, dammit! :P