MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That Impact Fighting Championships show in Australia in July? The one with Josh Barnett vs. Geronimo Dos Santos? Yeah, now they've added Ken Shamrock vs. Mark Coleman.

This is MMA's version of the Hulkamania tour, isn't it?

• Like 2

Bas Rutten is amazing makes every fight fun, plus his Street Defence DVD is one of the funniest things ive ever seen

Also Karo Paryisan's in talks with Strikeforce

Why are you so quick to count Mariusz Pudzianowski out? First off, in order to engage with him you're going to have to get past some of the most brutal leg kicks I have ever seen. Secondly, he isn't just the former World's Strongest Man, he is an avid martial artist and practitioner. He is still very young in terms of MMA, but his background does provide merit.

His boxing coach this week basically ripped apart his standup but yeh he's only just started MMA of course he's not going to be amazing. Tim Sylvia fight will be tough but depends on the state Tim comes into will he be that big blob that got KTFO by Ray Mercer or will he try and get into some decent shape. I can see Tim going to Japan and fight for Dream at one bit

From MMATorch.com via Sherdog.com

Kevin Randleman may be forced out of his bout with Roger Gracie on next week's Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery event on Showtime, according to a report from Sherdog.com.

"I’m sick and I think I might have a little bit of a staph infection,” said Randleman. “They might have to replace me."

Randleman is seeing a physician today, who will let him know if he's able to compete on the card.

"I’ve trained for Gracie for 14 weeks, and I might get taken out by some nasty a** people who can’t wash their butts, their feet,” said Randleman. “I’m livid. I take six showers every day. I’m anal about cleanliness. I take a shower before I get into bed with my wife. If I wake up in the middle of the night and I’m sweaty, I take a shower."

The report further stated that if Randleman is forced off the card, he may retire. The 38 year old former UFC Heavyweight Champion is only 2-7 over the last six years of his career.

Anybody else watching Bellator 17? Great event thus far. This Huerta/Curran fight is a lot closer than I expected, but the whole card's been very entertaining.

Really happy that FSN Ohio is airing it.

Edited by Master Shakespeare

Lyle "Fancy Pants" Beerbohm is looking to get out of his Strikeforce contract supposedly. He's been posting about asking if a lawyer can get him out of his contract

Guest Mr. Potato Head

MFC 25 quick results from last night featuring some notable names:

Chase Gormley over Ryan Fortin UD

Gavin Neil over Richie Hightower Sub 1

Pete Spratt over Luigi Fioravanti TKO 3

Emmanuel Newton over Dwayne Lewis UD

Ryan Jimmo over Wilson Gouveia UD

Thales Leites over Jesse Taylor Sub 1

Good to see Leites back in dominant form, I like Neil and Newton so nice to see them pick up wins as well.

One major Japanese mixed-martial-arts promotion will follow the lead of its North American counterparts.

World Victory Road officials today announced fighters in their Sengoku event series will now compete in weight classes that adhere to the limits set forth in MMA's "unified rules."

The changes go into effect for its next show, Sengoku Raiden Championships 13, which takes place June 20 in Tokyo, Japan.

WVR, which launched in 2007 following the Ultimate Fighting Championship's purchase (and eventual disbanding of PRIDE Fighting Championships), previously used weight classes that differed slightly from those found in the U.S. and Canada. For example, the organization's featherweight division topped off at 65 kilograms (143 pounds) and middleweight division went up to 83 kilograms (183 pounds).

The promotion will now use the standards of 135 pounds (bantamweight), 145 (featherweight), 155 (lightweight), 170 (welterweight), 185 (middleweight), 205 (light heavyweight), 265 (heavyweight) and 266-plus (super-heavyweight).

The biggest changes come to the bantamweight and welterweight divisions, which have increased by approximately two and three pounds, respectively.

Officials cited Sengoku fighters' need for consistency since so many of them also compete in North America. Additionally, the executives hope the changes encourage more international fighters to compete under the Sengoku banner.

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board first adopted the "Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts" in 2000, and 43 other U.S. state athletic commissions have since followed suit.

Despite the weight-class changes, WRV still uses a rules set that differs slightly from the one in the unified rules. For example, Sengoku fighters can use knees and stomps to the head of a downed opponent, though elbow strikes to the head are prohibited.

From MMAJunkie, wow, never thought I would see a Japanese promotion really go for the American model, first we have Dream working in the cage, now Sengoku moving in to the same weight divisions :o

I'm quite happy with this as hopefully it'll lead to as they want more international stars going to Japan and fighting plus it might be more beneficial to the Japanese fighters for when they go to fight in the US as most of them don't weight cut and are quite small for their divisions when they go to the US

I doubt adjusting the weight divisions will make Japaense fighters cut weight to get to their classes, its more of a cultural difference between Japan and the US, with the US fighters following the amateur wrestlers lead in the weight cutting department, Tito was one of the first to majorly take advantage of this. :)

I think that's one of the problems when they come over is the size difference i think more Japanese fighters should think about dropping weight.

Also bit disapointed that Lyle Beerbohm/Vitor Ribeiro is now on the Prelims for the Strikeforce show cause that should be a good fight

Ralek Gracie returns after nearly a 2 year layoff to fight Sakuraba at Dream 14,