MMA News and Discussion Thread

So Hendo has gotten old and I want to see Anderson Silva against Jake Shields.

Also, gangrape on Jason Miller, fucking pussies from Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

No, Shields is too small to do any good against Silva, and he would be killed. If Shields goes to the UFC I would rather see him in the 170 division, he still seems a touch too small at 185, even if he continues to win :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Fun fact: Strikeforce on CBS may have been killed by what happened right after a Jake Shields fight. EliteXC on CBS was killed by what happened right after a Jake Shields fight.

• Like 1

The ratings significantly dropped as well. I'm from the UK so i dont know most of these ratings talk stuff but it averaged about 2.63 something like that and Fedor/Rogers got about 4. something.

Lets be honest though 3 title fights that were all very likely to go to decision was a bad move imo, not much promotion is a bad move. Plus Strikeforce doesn't have much control over the production when it's on CBS and thats a bad move. UFC have played it smart not signing to a major network as they want total control over their product. STrikeforce on CBS was doomed from the start i reckon and the actions of the Cesar Gracie team after the fight is just a downright scum move and has not helped Strikeforce or MMA in general

Apparently, Strikeforce/CBS weren't looking at the ratings as an indicator of success, but the 18-49 male demographic rating, which was very important to them. And it only got a 1.0, about 2.5 million people. I haven't heard anything about the actual overall rating, but I'm sure it wasn't that much higher, I doubt millions and millions of women or men over 50 were just DYING to see Dan Henderson again or anything :shifty:

It tanked.

yeh why i put i know nothing about ratings :P Strikeforces problem is lack of promoting events and creating stars there isn't many names that'll grab casual fans attention or attract people to watch the product they did hardly any hype for Jake Shields for that event or anyone else

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm stealing part of this rant from TEOL, but the problem with Strikeforce is that every show feels like its first show (every CBS show at least). You're left with the impression that these guys are some of the highest-reputation fighters outside UFC, but also that that entire list will change over by the next CBS show, and it doesn't get the Strikeforce name over at all when they're barely mentioning that Melendez won the title he was defending in a great match on the last CBS show, for example.

it seems that CBS wants success too quick and it'll take a longtime to be on the level of the UFC: Affliction and EliteXC are prime examples of trying to compete with the UFC too quickly and i feel some pressures been put on Strikeforce to do that when all they need to do is stabilise and secure themselves as the number 2 promotion, build some stars within your roster guys like Tyron Woodley, Lyle Beerbohm and use the established stars and veterans and just slowly build yourselves up.

Strikeforce need to get away from CBS as i have a bad feeling this could be another Affliction/EliteXC

I'm stealing part of this rant from TEOL, but the problem with Strikeforce is that every show feels like its first show (every CBS show at least). You're left with the impression that these guys are some of the highest-reputation fighters outside UFC, but also that that entire list will change over by the next CBS show, and it doesn't get the Strikeforce name over at all when they're barely mentioning that Melendez won the title he was defending in a great match on the last CBS show, for example.

Probably because he won the title in December on Showtime. :P

Guest Mr. Potato Head

With the additions of Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman and Jacare Souza vs. Joey Villasenor, Strikeforce's May 15 card is looking suspiciously awesome.

With the additions of Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman and Jacare Souza vs. Joey Villasenor, Strikeforce's May 15 card is looking suspiciously awesome.

I love your phrasing...

But yeah:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers (for heavyweight title)

* Andrei Arlovski vs. Antonio Silva

* Ronaldo "Souza" Jacare vs. Joey Villasenor

* Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman

* Lyle Beerbohm vs. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro*

That for me is a virtually unmissable card.

-Someones getting knocked out in Overreem/Rogers

-Arlovski/Silva is an interesting fight

-Jacare/Villasenor again good match up can Jacare take it to the ground. A fight that could help shape the Middleweight title picture

-Roger Gracies got hype behind him, fighting a good opponent with some name value to test him out at this stage in his MMA career.

-Lyle/Vitor again should be an exciting fight, i really like Lyle and this is a stern test for him

This has been one of Strikeforces better lineups in a longtime

As a head up to people in the UK, unlike most UFC events we are not restricted to buying Aldo vs Faber online, so if you want to watch the event live go to UFC Live and purchase the event, its only about £15 and this looks like it could be the most exciting card of the year!