MMA News and Discussion Thread

He doesn't have a contract with any promotion. The commissions assign referees and he doesn't have a license to officiate in the state of Nevada. He does in California and a few other places, but he just doesn't have one in Nevada anymore. The only reason he isn't in UFC is because commissions never assigned him to ref there.

UFC or Strikeforce doesn't employ Big John, he is employed by the State Boxing/Athletic commisions. Rumours are a bound that he pissed solmebody in the UFC higher ups off when he retired from refereeing previously with some of his actions and when he started to ref again they have quietly kept him away from the UFC, interestingly Dana White has publically said he wouldn't mind having Big John ref again in the UFC, but he hasn't been selected by the state Commissions. Thats what you have to remember the referees are not selected by the organisations, they can make requests, but the match officials for all sanctioned MMA bouts are assigned by independant state officials...

Okay, see, I did not know that. I was just so used to seeing him in the UFC that I thought they actually employed him so that definitely does clear that up. And on the Strikeforce note, Cris Cyborg is a fucking beast. I pity any guy who back talks her.

Bellator for recent stuff. PRIDE for older stuff. WEC pretty much any time in the last five years.

To echo and elaborate:

WEC following the reduction in weight classes is awesome, seriously this promotion never puts on a bad card.

Any Pride from the open weight GP onwards is amazing, some of the older sutff is a bit dull but you see some favourites of today relly evolve and some of the fights involving Wanderlei and Fedor are amazing, also seeing Cro Cop kick peoples' heads off is awesome. But the BUSHIDO ebents from 2004/05/06 are all very very entertaining.

Bellator has been fun.

DREAM's middlewieght and Lightweight GPs from 2008 are excellent and Dynamite! 2009 Sengoku vs DREAM while very long has some excellent fights.

A few of the King of the Cage events from this year that have been on HDNet (exception being the Bad Boys II card which was hurt by lots of injuries and people pulling out) have been excellent).

And if you are ok with shows with no English commentary if you can pick up any Shooto its always good fun :)

• Like 1

To show that they have no interest in matching the UFC deal, Strikeforce just fired Jake Shields last night.

Scott Coker's been talking for a few weeks about doing a middleweight tournament and not getting into a bidding war with UFC over him. So he's now able to sign with UFC right away though he cannot fight until his 90-day suspension for that brawl is over with in I believe September.

He's crazy. He's a natural welterweight and should be there fighting those guys and not guys who will be a lot bigger than he is. He was in real trouble against Dan Henderson in the first round and came back to win that only because Henderson tired out and did nothing for the last three rounds. Anderson Silva won't tire out and Shields will not be any match for him.

So defantly no rematch with Mayhem Miller now? Boo.

• Like 1

He's crazy. He's a natural welterweight and should be there fighting those guys and not guys who will be a lot bigger than he is. He was in real trouble against Dan Henderson in the first round and came back to win that only because Henderson tired out and did nothing for the last three rounds. Anderson Silva won't tire out and Shields will not be any match for him.

I would beg to differ the bolded point. I think that's exactly what he did in his match against Maia.

Guest Mr. Holland Head

I was listening to CBC Radio while driving around today and caught the tail end of a boxing vs. MMA debate. I think it was meant to be humourous, and the "winner" was based on audience vote, so the super-animated boxing guy beat the relatively-soft-spoken MMA guy. All I really heard was the final arguments for why each sport is better. Boxing guy went with all the social change that boxing has brought about, noting that MMA's only comparable change was "no hitting guys in the groin, and that was just changing a rule they already had!". MMA guy's final argument was that in MMA you can honourably submit, while you can't in boxing.

Like I said, I think it was meant to be funny, but it was some odd listening either way.