MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest DroMPHo

So, Couture versus Franklin might happen in June. Is all Couture just going to fight guys past their prime just so they can hand him another title shot?

Franklin never actually had a prime. I don't like the way UFC books their overhyped guys against each other so they look competitive no matter what, but it's definitely the right business decision for them.

Is Randy wins and Machida wins then they will probably meet for the title. Randy has said a few times he would like to fight Machida and White has mentioned he would be interested in seeing it as well. It actually a fight that could happen even if Randy wins and Machida loses based on how things could come together. Realistically I could picture the LHW title picture as follows:

Randy vs Machida

Shogun vs Winner of Rampage/Rashad

Winners of those two for the title.

Double post, but C+P directly from Sherdog.com:

Gegard Mousasi has left his management team with M-1 Global, the fighter told Sherdog.com via e-mail on Friday. M-1 Global also confirmed on Friday that the fighter and organization would no longer be working together.

Could be the eventual opening to see him in the UFC down the road.

Double post, but C+P directly from Sherdog.com:

Gegard Mousasi has left his management team with M-1 Global, the fighter told Sherdog.com via e-mail on Friday. M-1 Global also confirmed on Friday that the fighter and organization would no longer be working together.

Could be the eventual opening to see him in the UFC down the road.

Exactly, down the road, I have heard people going "OH he can join the UFC now and face Anderson at UFC 112!" And I'm all "Erm.... NO! Just because he got out of his contract with his management team doesn't mean he has finsihed with Strikeforce/Dream, all it means is the guy will have more direct control over his career, which means that he may join UFC at somepoint" I get the feeling the other people are still like "But he has left M-1, he's a free agent", and just don't get it.

If Maia fights like he did in his match with Sonnen, he has a reasonable chance to submit Anderson. The wrestling Sonnen showed against Marquardt was very very good... and Maia actually dominated Sonnen not only in the bjj but also in wrestling. (just check his takedown and following submission)...

The Leites-Anderson-fight was only one fight and neither Maia or Silva will want to have another one like that. So I think this could be a very exciting match...

Oh for the love of god, go back to The Ring and stay there. Coleman, as much as I liked the guy in the earlier UFC's, is way beyond his peak in terms of actual ability to compete and while some at his age can still go, he's not one of them.

• Like 2

He is still a draw in the UFC.

Dude, you were 32 days old when he became the first UFC Heavyweight champ. The guy hasn't been a high level competitor/draw in the UFC since about 1997/98, And while I hate to talk down the guys achievements because I have a hell of a lot of respect for him, but the guy wasn't even that big a draw in Pride, where he was the first GP champion in 2000, and even that he had a fairly easy route to the final and technically had a bye in the semi final, leaving him fresh against Vovchanchyn who's weakness was Coleman's strength. The guy is past his prime, I am led to believe that all UFC fighters have it written in to their contracts that should they lose they can be cut for a fee based on the remainder of their contract. The guy is not evergreen like Randy Couture seemingly is and it appears that, sadly, age has caught up to him and he is not the elite level fighter that the UFC demands now.

For me Coleman should retire so that we can remember him as the great he was (barring the worked loss to Takada), rather than fighting in to irrelevance. i would like to see him continue as a coach, as there are many that could learn excellent wrestling skills from the guy.

• Like 2

Okay, so this isn't news, but a question that I've been wondering. I've heard it made mention that Pancrase was worked rather than actual shoot fighting. Is this true because a lot of guys who came from Pancrase were quite horrible.

It was worked shoot... From what I understand of Pancrase a good portion was legit fighting where they fought with no pre determined outcome, however when they felt they could build stars with results going a particular way they weren't adverse to paying a fighter with incentives for losing, or just going out and throwing a fight. In the end it was about making money from their fighters rather than proving who the best is.