MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah, crazy that Lawler wasn't even trying for a KO. Wonder if his corner told him he was winning or something.

And I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with that last point. If they're roughly equal in skill, striker vs. grappler often ends up as a boring decision because neither man wants to go to the other's strength. If they have the same strength, at roughly the same level, they're much more likely to end up slugging it out on the feet.

And I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with that last point. If they're roughly equal in skill, striker vs. grappler often ends up as a boring decision because neither man wants to go to the other's strength. If they have the same strength, at roughly the same level, they're much more likely to end up slugging it out on the feet.

The bigger issue is the lack of depth in Strikeforce's divisions, but I thought Woodley/Daley was a bad match-up from the get-go. Daley is a slugger through and through, and has relatively nothing to offer off of his back or via his grappling; he's the black Dan Hardy (with actual KO power). Matching him up with a powerhouse wrestler like Woodley was just asking for a boring fight, which does nothing for anyone.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Fedor was out cold and taking unprotected shots to the head, before getting it together and rolling over. Perfectly legit stoppage, he was out after that uppercut.

Fedor was out cold and taking unprotected shots to the head, before getting it together and rolling over. Perfectly legit stoppage, he was out after that uppercut.

Yeah, this. He was out cold from the first uppercut, you didn't see him go completely limp and eat shit? The next couple of shots (which I think were technically illegal, but whatever, it wasn't intentional) stirred him back to life and then he started to roll over, but that was a legit stoppage. It's a shame because I would've loved for him to come back and win the fight like he used to always do, but oh well. It is what it is.

It was a little early in my opinion. You don't want to see someone taking unprotected shots, but I've seen people given more time on worse looking beatings. It may be that hindsight is 20/20, as I might not be saying that if Fedor hadn't then rolled over and looked like he was defending, but yeah, coulda gone either way. I see why it was stopped though.

Guest mr. potato head

It was a little early in my opinion. You don't want to see someone taking unprotected shots, but I've seen people given more time on worse looking beatings. It may be that hindsight is 20/20, as I might not be saying that if Fedor hadn't then rolled over and looked like he was defending, but yeah, coulda gone either way. I see why it was stopped though.

If you're knocked out, the fight should be stopped right that second. Doesn't matter how quickly you get back to consciousness. It was the right call.

Also, Fedor should really think about hanging them up. He still looks great from a technical standpoint, but his physical skills are clearly fading. He's not hitting as hard as he was, he can't take a punch like he once could, and he can't avoid blows like he once did.

Also, Fedor should really think about hanging them up. He still looks great from a technical standpoint, but his physical skills are clearly fading. He's not hitting as hard as he was, he can't take a punch like he once could, and he can't avoid blows like he once did.

To be fair, not many people can take a clean Hendo uppercut like that and not go lights out.

Guest mr. potato head

I think Dana doesn't quite understand that the reason all these #2 promotions keep popping up is because he does things like this and good fighters want good places to fight.

Wouldn't a BAMMA/Golden Glory partnership be an option too? BAMMA is quickly gaining recognition and could be a big European MMA player... They allready have Marquardt signed... adding Coenen, the Overeems could give them a lot of extra star power. Europe is a very complicated territory though... (with a lot of different laws and television channels and (sports) cultures). Golden Glory is Dutch though and has some influence in Russia too, and BAMMA is the biggest player in UK...

Guest mr. potato head

I wouldn't be surprised if Showtime can't run non-Strikeforce shows though.

I bet UFC quietly ends up paying a ton of money to release Fedor from the Showtime deal.