Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're just going to end up doing X again aren't we? :D

Also, me and J are going to be doing a blast on XII soon, once I'm moved into his flat, so if people want to do that with us they're more than welcome.

We will try and get through that awful game. Even the introduction bores me.

We're just going to end up doing X again aren't we? :D

Also, me and J are going to be doing a blast on XII soon, once I'm moved into his flat, so if people want to do that with us they're more than welcome.

We will try and get through that awful game. Even the introduction bores me.

:o:(

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/04/final-fa...new-job-system/

he latest edition of Famitsu Wave recently hit newsstands in Japan, bringing with it a DVD which contains an 8-minute exposé on Square Enix's second stab at the MMO genre, Final Fantasy XIV. The whole video is posted after the break. Fret not -- it sports convenient English subtitles.

Here's some of the more titillating excerpts: The game features a reinvented character progression system which does not include experience points or leveling up. The job system from XI will make an appearance, but in a heavily altered form -- an interview with the game's director, Nobuaki Komoto, revealed that the game will place a focus on the weapons players use, explaining that your armaments will determine "the way you play" and "the way you grow." Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX. (That's a very good thing.)

In addition, FFXIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka explained that the game takes place in a new region with a more "modern" feel to it -- the mysterious Eorzea which was mentioned in the trailer. The new world features familiar races (albeit with new names), and plays host to a "deep story," which is told through cut-scenes and quests. For more FFXIV info than you can possibly handle, check the video after the jump.

Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX. (That's a very good thing.)

Did you read that?

Just being sure.

Now I've highlighted absolute truth. Also:

And on a just as truthful note, Minerva should kill herself so I don't have to. I want to New Game+ damnit :@

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was looking on Kijiji earlier today, and someone was looking for FF7 and was willing to pay $65 for it. I thought, 'Damn! I can get a new game with that!'....but then I really thought, do I really want to part with it? It will likely be a long time before I play it again, but I don't want to ruin the streak I have going (I have V through XII (Not including XI))

Edit: Woo! Beat FFVI!

So I've beaten all FF games minus III and IV.

Kefka was a pushover, Gogo kicked his ass: Double Cast + Golden Hairpin (50% MP cost, right?) > Ultima + Quick > Ultima + Ultima > Ultima + Ultima

Oh, and Locke got a few good hits in himself.

BUT IT WAS ALL GOGO!

Okay I'm looking to jump into a FF game again, in front of me I have I, II, III, VI, VII, IX and XII.

I, VII and IX are the only ones I have completed (I was recently aswell). III is on my DS which I don't actually know the location of, so that leaves II, VI, VII, IX or XII to choose from really.

What do you guys suggest, and why?

XII, because god damn somebody needs to stand up for it. Honestly, XII is my favourite FF game by far, it's expansive, beautiful, it's got a pretty good difficulty curve (seriously, if you're even a couple levels lower than you should be, you're fucked, not to mention the likes of Entite's and Werewolves that populate some of the early areas, despite being impossible to beat until the later levels), it's linear enough to just go straight through, but is littered with side quests and distractions that beat out any other FF game. The characterization is somewhat bland (seriously, Balthier, Ashe and Basch are the only ones worth really giving a crap about. Vaan, Penelo and Fran are borderline useless), and the story itself is eerily reminscent of Star Wars, but for me, it's a damn good game.

XII, because god damn somebody needs to stand up for it. Honestly, XII is my favourite FF game by far, it's expansive, beautiful, it's got a pretty good difficulty curve (seriously, if you're even a couple levels lower than you should be, you're fucked, not to mention the likes of Entite's and Werewolves that populate some of the early areas, despite being impossible to beat until the later levels), it's linear enough to just go straight through, but is littered with side quests and distractions that beat out any other FF game. The characterization is somewhat bland (seriously, Balthier, Ashe and Basch are the only ones worth really giving a crap about. Vaan, Penelo and Fran are borderline useless), and the story itself is eerily reminscent of Star Wars, but for me, it's a damn good game.

The biggest thing that keeps me from playing is the difficulty curve. There are always parts in the other games that give me a hard time - but XII is the only one where I have a hard time in nearly every boss fight.

Aside from that, the game seems good. From the furthest point I ever got stuck at, I already always used Balthier, Ashe, and Basch.

XII is the only Final Fantasy game where I've enjoyed grinding, though. I've heard a lot of people bitch about the battle system, but it's the first game in the series where I can happily run around slaughtering low level monsters and care much more about that than whatever the story was.

The characterization is somewhat bland (seriously, Balthier, Ashe and Basch are the only ones worth really giving a crap about. Vaan, Penelo and Fran are borderline useless), and the story itself is eerily reminscent of Star Wars, but for me, it's a damn good game.

I don't know why people seem to have a problem with Fran and Penelo. Granted they're far less important to the story than Basch, Balthier, and Ashe, but there's very little difference when using them in the party. Vann on the other hand...well he can just go die in a fire with his 'I'm not the main protagonist, but dammit you're gonna control me throughout the game' crap. Once I got access to at least four party members, Vaan never saw action again...which is why everyone is level 85+ and he's only level 17 :shifty:

But there is so much grind in that game!

Having finally finished gathering loot and buying the Tournesol no more than five minutes ago, I can concur to this a thousand times over.

Okay I'm looking to jump into a FF game again, in front of me I have I, II, III, VI, VII, IX and XII.

I, VII and IX are the only ones I have completed (I was recently aswell). III is on my DS which I don't actually know the location of, so that leaves II, VI, VII, IX or XII to choose from really.

What do you guys suggest, and why?

I agree with Sousa and suggest you play VI, especially seeing as you mentioned you've already completed VII. Definitely up there with VII as the best in the series, and despite having completed it five times I've yet to get bored of it. I mean what's better than getting Mog on your team and turning him into a badass dragoon that can destroy pretty much anything? Nothing, that's what. Oh, and Dancing Mad is one of the best songs from any FF game, period.

God damn XG, I haven't seen you around here in like, forever!

I'd say out of the three shitty characters in XII, Penelo's by far the most useful in battle. Especially with the combination of the Zodiac Spear, Bravery, Haste and the Genji Gear, having her hit enemies for 9,000+ HP every second is extremely useful, especially against the last couple espers. Fran's alright at range, and makes a pretty solid red mage, but anything she can do, Balthier does about a thousand times better. Vaan's just awful, with no real redeeming traits.