*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

But the whole Mr.Reese=Mysteries and somehow Mysteries=Riddles=Riddler is a reach bordering on pathetic. Unless you're purposely saying it that way, Mr. Reese shouldn't sound exactly like mysteries.

And even further, as someone stated, Wayne saved his life why would he have motivation to harm him in any way? Oh I know, the people who came up with the Mr.Reese=Mysteries=Riddler bullshit had their head up their ass

I don't see how it's "bordering on pathetic", riddles are basically just mysteries with a clue, what's such a stretch about that? The Riddler these days and more often than not hasn't been a bad guy persay, he's a nuisance, not a baddie, and since One Year Later has been totally on the straight and narrow.

I'm not saying it's the best idea in the world, nor that it's right, but anyone who is outright dismissive of it is the one with 'their head up their ass' for being so arrogant.

EDIT: Rephrased for a bit more nicety.

The movie hasn't even been out a month, I'm commenting on how completely stupid and yes pathetic it is for people to assume that they're already casting for the next one, considering it hasn't even been written yet. How do I know it hasn't been written yet? Christopher Nolan hasn't even signed on to direct a 3rd film, so I highly doubt his brother has plowed ahead with a screenplay already, let alone that Warner has decided to cast for it.

The entire Mr.Resse thing is just stupid crap made up by guys who are desperately clinging to the idea that the Nolans put it in as a little easter egg and they're the only ones who picked up on it, or equally desperate people who want The Riddler in the next film and can't accept that fact that said film hasn't even been written yet.

The movie hasn't even been out a month, I'm commenting on how completely stupid and yes pathetic it is for people to assume that they're already casting for the next one, considering it hasn't even been written yet. How do I know it hasn't been written yet? Christopher Nolan hasn't even signed on to direct a 3rd film, so I highly doubt his brother has plowed ahead with a screenplay already, let alone that Warner has decided to cast for it.

The entire Mr.Resse thing is just stupid crap made up by guys who are desperately clinging to the idea that the Nolans put it in as a little easter egg and they're the only ones who picked up on it, or equally desperate people who want The Riddler in the next film and can't accept that fact that said film hasn't even been written yet.

Because setting up characters for future movies isn't a smart idea? Not every character needs to pop in and make a splash the first time they're seen, Nolan may not have signed on for another film, but that doesn't stop him putting small hints in there in case he ever wanted to come back to them. If we were going down the route "he named him Mr Reese as a hint to The Riddler", isn't that clever on his part? Because if he did want to use Reese as The Riddler, he now has a character who can take the pseudonym "Edward Nigma", but if someone else helmed the film and didnt like the idea then they don't have to use that particular character as The Riddler because... he's not called "E. Nigma".

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying I don't think you can be totally dismissive, it could end up that there was intent to bring him in but they ended up never capitalising (see; The Lizard in the Spider-Man films), it could be something they come back to MUCH later (see; Wolverine's past in X-Men) or it could just be nothing at all. Just indicating that maybe you shouldn't be so assumptive that you're right and that others are going to be wrong.

I can be totally dismissive of it, especially due to your examples. Dr. Curt Connors was the character name in the comics and he translated right there onto film, making 3 appearences, establishing the character in the series, so if they ever want to use the Lizard, they've got it set up already.

This Mr Reese bullshit is a FAR cry from that. You're so far removed from reality if you think Warner Brothers is going to roll out Joshua Harto as a main villian in the next film. Joshua Harto, a guy who's biggest role prior to the Dark Knight was a lab assistant in Iron Man. Yeah, Warner is going to tap that guy as one of the main players in the sequel to what may become the highest grossing film of all time.

Yeah, Nolan could have put it in as a little easter egg, but just because he could have, doesn't mean he did and sadly alot of people refuse to accept that. Could it actually happen? Yeah, Harto could reprise he role in the third film and be the Riddler, only if you're making the Riddler a complete throwaway joke of a villian that Batman busts in the first few minutes of the movie. If they're having The Riddler as a more substantial part in the film, then there's no way Coleman Reese is going to be the man behind the mask.

Its logic, which alot of people seem to completely dismiss when thinking about how the next movie is going to pan out. I still hate we're even talking about The Riddler being in the film and we're doing it soley because of bullshit fake casting news and an alleged easter egg that seems like a complete reach.

I think as wimpy as Mr. Reese's character was portrayed, he could turn out to be The Riddler, it would just have to be some explained character development in the next film.

Mr. Reese has stated that he knows the true identity of Batman, which some, maybe like Falcone who didn't die in the car crash, or Falcone's wife, kidnaps him to draw the secret out of him. Mr. Reese, having had his entire personality altered by having his life threatened, grows a spine, but is also unsure of whether he should reveal the identity because of moral conflictions about Batman/Bruce's character. Is he a good guy fighting villains and saving lives? Is he a selfish bad guy letting people be killed because he doesn't want to turn himself in? Batman happens to be on the scene and beats up the Falcone gang and frees Reese. Reese is then sent under witness protection as Edward Nigma off in another city or something, or maybe he cleverly fakes his death so no one else comes after him, but comes back very soon, having decided his course of action. The Riddler, in a SAW like manner (though with the gore tamed far down since it's a Batman movie) kills the head of the Falcone family who kidnapped him. Batman now has to take down The Riddler, but Riddler now knows the thrill of Batman's life and refuses to be caught. Maybe Riddler has even taken the point of view that Batman is a selfish bad guy and Gotham needs a true white night like Harvey Dent again, and he's going to give it to them.

Yeah, not a perfect story, but just in my mind, a possibility of how they could take a weak ass Mr. Reese and build him into a semi-believable fiend.

Jesus, Maxx. Settle down. Take a valium or something. It's just a movie.

Stop it with the superiority complex Maxx. I don't think people are assuming, I think they're just guessing at what could happen in the next film and stating their own ideas as to what they think would be a good direction to go in. We know there's going to be a third film, and hell, even if there wasn't what's the harm in discussing 'what ifs'?

People can't accept the fact that the film hasn't been written yet? As I said, it's just people throwing around ideas and discussing possibilities and what they would like to see. We don't need to have a full cast list and a script before we can discuss what could be a part of the next film.

Oh and as for why people are assuming The Riddler will be in the next film, again, it's just guesses and what people would like to see but if you go through the list of characters that could be in it, The Riddler makes sense as one of the most viable villains.

I can be totally dismissive of it, especially due to your examples. Dr. Curt Connors was the character name in the comics and he translated right there onto film, making 3 appearences, establishing the character in the series, so if they ever want to use the Lizard, they've got it set up already.
How much screen time has Connors received though? His time in the film was about equivalent to what "Mr Reese" had, wouldn't you say? (Also, he only appeared in two films, not three).

This Mr Reese bullshit is a FAR cry from that. You're so far removed from reality if you think Warner Brothers is going to roll out Joshua Harto as a main villian in the next film. Joshua Harto, a guy who's biggest role prior to the Dark Knight was a lab assistant in Iron Man. Yeah, Warner is going to tap that guy as one of the main players in the sequel to what may become the highest grossing film of all time.
Okay, well here's where I agree with you and why I don't think he will be The Riddler, but for arguments sake I'm going to just point out that Harto is a perenial 'that guy' of television. Would he be a good Riddler? I can't say, but everyone has to start somewhere and not every major role needs to go to a proven Hollywood star; before Christopher Reeve became arguably the best Superman/Clark Kent he had starred in a total of one film.

Yeah, Nolan could have put it in as a little easter egg, but just because he could have, doesn't mean he did and sadly alot of people refuse to accept that. Could it actually happen? Yeah, Harto could reprise he role in the third film and be the Riddler, only if you're making the Riddler a complete throwaway joke of a villian that Batman busts in the first few minutes of the movie. If they're having The Riddler as a more substantial part in the film, then there's no way Coleman Reese is going to be the man behind the mask.
There's the "I'm right" attitude again, and that's what I'm trying to pull in, you're still assuming you're 100% right, you say he's a throwaway because of the films you've seen him in which include... being an assistant in Iron Man and being Mr Reese in Batman, assumably, how can you judge an actors range of ability based on two films in which he barely even appears for more than a few minutes?

Its logic, which alot of people seem to completely dismiss when thinking about how the next movie is going to pan out. I still hate we're even talking about The Riddler being in the film and we're doing it soley because of bullshit fake casting news and an alleged easter egg that seems like a complete reach.
There's fanboys that won't listen to being told they might be wrong, and there're critics that won't listen to being told they might be wrong, don't fall into either of those categories Maxx, it's a pitfall in humility just waiting to happen ({)

Officially fastest to $400 million. From AP:

LOS ANGELES - Add another entry for "The Dark Knight" in Hollywood's record books: The Batman sequel has climbed past $400 million at the box office in just 18 days, the fastest pace ever, a studio executive said Tuesday.

As of Monday, "The Dark Knight" had taken in $400.03 million domestically, according to distributor Warner Bros.

Jeff Goldstein, general sales manager for Warner, said the film hit that mark in less than half the time it took for the previous record-holder, "Shrek 2," which crossed the $400 million level on its 43rd day of release.

"The Dark Knight" is now No. 8 on the all-time box-office charts, and it should move up to No. 7 on Tuesday, passing the $403.7 million haul of the original "Spider-Man." That will make "The Dark Knight" the top-grossing comic-book adaptation ever.

All I can say about the whole Mr. Reese thing is that Nolan could have put that in there for a third film, since was it not Batman Begins that ended with that Joker card being handed from Gordon to Batman to set up a second movie? Not that I'd agree with the whole Mr. Reese thing since I know nothing of the comic books of Batman, but it isn't impossible for the Reese thing to be a set up for a third film even if a third isnt written yet since the same thing more or less happened in Begins with the Joker card being brought into play.

Honestly, I dont know if ANYTHING will ever beat out Titanic. That movie has what, 800million or something? Dark Knight was great, but I think Titanic will remain number one for a very, very long time to come.

Edited by Vitamin E

Nolan and Bale had signed on to do two films for sure, which is why the cliffhanger at the end of Begins was used.

With Nolan not having a deal for a third film in place, anything that he planted in the second film would be left open to interpretation, just in case he doesn't come back.

Also... The Dark Knight is still running extremely strong at theatres, so I see no reason why we can't be looking forward to $450 million, and then when that comes, $500 million.

It will not beat Titanic's $600 million, no chance. Titanic made $30mil a week for six months, Dark Knight is still doing well, but dropping extremely fast. I doubt it'll make over $30mil this weekend, especially with Pineapple Express coming out and then another sharp drop should be expected with Tropic Thunder, Mirrors and Star Wars all on the way. It will continue to do well, and I think it'll become the #2 highest grossing film of all time, but there's no way it's going to beat Titanic.

Now, I know that Nolan isn't officially signed on to do the next film, but honestly, is there any way he's not going to be doing a third one?

While I'm sure he may want to go a different route and use some of his own material for a movie, I'd expect that Nolan will be offered quite the hefty chunk of change to do the third one. I don't think there's any way that Warner Bros. doesn't break the bank to get him on for at least another film especially given the amount of success that The Dark Knight has had both critically and at the box office.

And as far as Titanic is concerned...I don't know. I could see it happening but it's a very small chance. I'd like to see it happen but I doubt it will but I wouldn't necessarily put it out of the realm of possibility, either.

Guest strongarm85

The Dark Knight has raised 400,000,000 million domestically, but has only raised 600,000,000 world wide so far. That said, there are movie theaters in the US, including a particular IMAX in Barnson Missouri that still had Titanic in theaters a year after its release.

Anyhow, its obvious that Dark Knight still has a lot of gas left in the tank. We'll just have to wait and see how much it makes all together. but working at a Movie theater myself, I'm already starting to notice a lot of people coming back to watch the Dark Knight a second and third time already.

Edited by strongarm85

Yeah. I didn't recognize him at first, then the second time I saw it the wheels started turning and it clicked.

Also, I just learned today that Heath Ledger was apparently signed on for two Batman films (according to Jett at Batman On Film, at least). He had a pretty interesting article about people that could play Joker if it was absolutely necessary he be in the third film, and one of his top picks was Johnny Depp.

Could I get a link to that article? I can't seem to find it.

I can't either, sorry. I know I read it on BOF though.

I think this might be it

I had a dream last night where Robin Williams played The Riddler. I actually wouldn't mind that; Williams proved he can handle a serious role in both One Hour Photo and Insomnia (the latter being one of my all-time favourite movies).

And I'm all for the returns of both Two-Face and The Joker. I get the impression that Dent's "death" was left deliberately ambiguous in case he was needed for the third, and with Ledger's death it seems much more likely he'll be returning.

I'm all for The Joker played a sort of Hannibal Lecter role for Batman, and the best outcome for me personally would be for Nolan to talk Daniel Day-Lewis into taking the role. IMO, he can take any role and make it his own. That's what needed for the next Joker; someone to make the role their own.

I'd also tie in The Penguin. Philip Seymour Hoffman would be perfect for the role, and while he brings the tally to four villains, I don't think there'd be overkill. Penguin would just cameo as a nightclub owner with his ear to the ground, and The Joker would only have a few scenes. Batman's main concern would be preventing Riddler from revealing his identity, clearing his name and rehabiliting Dent.

I'm hoping that Nolan finishes his trilogy open-ended. The only real way to finish the Batman movie series is a final showdown with The Joker, but why does that ever need to happen? Keep it like the comics; Joker occasionally taking on Batman, only to be locked up again. Make the franchise a series of trilogies under different directors, with flexibility in casting. Allow each director a chance to craft their own vision of Batman, and you're onto a winner.

Oh, and Sal Maroni better not be dead

Benji, the point I was trying to make the Dr. Connors thing was that it was a confirmed cameo. Fans can and should speculate that eventually The Lizard will show up because Connors was in 3 films, establishing the character.

My problem is that people seem to think the same thing is going to happen with this Mr. Reese crap when it has nothing to do with The Riddler at all. It wasn't Edward Nigma being introduced, its a guy who's name kinda sorta can sound like "Mystery" if you say it that way. Thats a pretty far reach and its just stupid to think that they'll be going that way.

I was waiting for someone to bring up the Joker card thing. Yep, that was them dropping a hint for the second movie. Pretty obvious hint, one Noland didn't even plan on doing and Goyer had put in. But now we're to assume that not only did Nolan decide to work in another hint, he made it so very small that only a few people might pick up on it? Sounds doubtful.

People are obsessing to much over the idea and aren't looking at the reality of the situation. Its spun out from "Hey wouldn't it be cool if they did that" into "This is what their obviously doing, look at the hints they've dropped."

Its an annoying reach now. Look at the facts, they've pretty faithful adapted Ra's, Scarecrow, Two-Face and The Joker, but for some reason they're going to come up with their own story for The Riddler? And they're going to be basing it around a guy who was in the last film for all of 5 minutes, who's character's life was saved by Batman?

Where does that start making any sense at all? Looking past the obvious lack of motivation for the character to do anything to harm Batman or Bruce Wayne, this is a film series that has starred Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman in fairly large supporting roles, all pretty major names. Its featured Heath Ledger , Aaron Eckhart and Cillian Murphy as villians. Granted their only Ledger was a major name of that group, but Eckhart and Murphy were certainly known before their run in the series. Arguably the most unknown actor thats been associated with the series is Christian Bale, and after the first film, that was no longer the case. So with that casting history in mind, it just doesn't make any sense that the next major character to enter the series would be played by an almost completely unknown actor.

And for those of you who might say people will remember him from TDK, look at the past posts in this thread where people are confusing him with Anthony Michael Hall's character.

I have no problem with speculation, I already engaged in it a few times in this thread. What I'm talking about is people coming in here and posting as if what they're speculating on is fact.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a condescending asshole, but come on, the burden of proof isn't on me here, I'm just stating what we can take as fact. The Depp and Hoffman rumor was not true and its absurd to take the Mr. Reese thing as anything besides a mindles fanboy reach. And for the most part its not you guys, so sorry if its coming off like I'm attacking you. I'm complaining about the rest of the internet

Edited by Maxx