The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

PlayStation 2 is now discontinued worldwide, confirms Sony

Worldwide production of the PlayStation 2 is finally at a halt after almost 13 years. Sony confirmed to The Guardian that, following the recent news of it being discontinued in Japan, the best-selling home console ever is now no longer being manufactured.

Sony boasts total software sales for the console of over 1.5 billion, in addition to more than 150 million PS2s sold. Rivals Nintendo and Sega barely shifted more than 30 million units of the GameCube and Dreamcast put together. It's unlikely we'll see a console dominate its generation so resoundingly ever again. Out of respect for the countless hours of gaming goodness it provided us, we at Joystiq are tearfully doffing our hats in memory of that little black box. That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

So Far Cry 3 is the scariest game ever.

Example 1: After a huge shootout, attacked by a cheetah with no med syringes left. So I figure, okay, I'll jump in the river and bandage up... before I could perform said bandaging... ALLIGATOR ATTACKS ME HOLY FUCK WHY WHY WHY

Example 2: Raiding an outpost, getting in a shootout with two Heavies. Then, all of a sudden... A MOTHERFUCKING HELICOPTER SWOOPS DOWN WTF HOLY SHIT I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS WHY WOULD THEY EVEN DO THIS WTF WTF WTF DOES MY ASSAULT RIFLE EVEN DO ANYTHING TO IT

So yeah, I'm totally packing an RPG next time I try to raid that outpost.

I love Persona 4! I haven't been able to say that for a few days.

Just about to save Rise from her shadow-world thing! Absolutely love Kanji and Yosuke! Also, got my courage boosted almost all the way to the max...although my expression and understanding could use some work.

So Far Cry 3 is the scariest game ever.

Example 1: After a huge shootout, attacked by a cheetah with no med syringes left. So I figure, okay, I'll jump in the river and bandage up... before I could perform said bandaging... ALLIGATOR ATTACKS ME HOLY FUCK WHY WHY WHY

Example 2: Raiding an outpost, getting in a shootout with two Heavies. Then, all of a sudden... A MOTHERFUCKING HELICOPTER SWOOPS DOWN WTF HOLY SHIT I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS WHY WOULD THEY EVEN DO THIS WTF WTF WTF DOES MY ASSAULT RIFLE EVEN DO ANYTHING TO IT

So yeah, I'm totally packing an RPG next time I try to raid that outpost.

How far in are you?

The more skills you unlock, the easier everything will become (no shit), and it also makes the game far more enjoyable.

I've just unlocked the south side of the island, and have 6 health bars, plus the heavy takedown skill which has come in useful already. Also, the knife takedown is excellent.

Last mission I did was the one with the drug farm.

Really though at this point my only major worries are sharks and helicopters. I try to take out outposts in a more subtle manner (by which I mean using C4 to draw people out whilst I sneak in from behind to disable the alarm, then get to snipin and hope a random patrol doesn't fuck everything up). Doesn't always pan out though.

And really, sharks wouldn't be a problem if repellant worked on them. Is there an underwater repellant later on? Because... yeah, that'd be helpful for those underwater treasure grabbing moments.

The thing with sharks though, is that if you have a decent amount of health, being attacked by them isn't too bad.

From my experience, the 2nd time they attack, you're given an on-screen prompt to mash a button. Once done, you'll kill it with the knife.

I'm having big problems beating outposts without being detected at all though. Disabling alarms is fine, but to unlock the Ninja Step skill (and thus, get the gold for unlocking all of the skills) you need to liberate two of them without being spotted by anyone. I really hope there's a few small ones in the last 12 I need to do, because I haven't beaten any that way just yet.

The thing with sharks though, is that if you have a decent amount of health, being attacked by them isn't too bad.

From my experience, the 2nd time they attack, you're given an on-screen prompt to mash a button. Once done, you'll kill it with the knife.

I'm having big problems beating outposts without being detected at all though. Disabling alarms is fine, but to unlock the Ninja Step skill (and thus, get the gold for unlocking all of the skills) you need to liberate two of them without being spotted by anyone. I really hope there's a few small ones in the last 12 I need to do, because I haven't beaten any that way just yet.

Silenced Sniper Rifle + Extended Scope. It's pretty easy with those, all you have to do is make sure you keep the fuck away and don't miss. I've run into ones that're mostly just filled with soldiers standing in one spot. A good tip is to go for the upper body rather than head (unless they're armored). It's still a 1 shot kill, I think and it's easier to hit.

I've managed to do it a few times with snipe-fu. I've been having crap luck with it lately though which is why I've developed the C4 distraction move.

doublepost

Edited by OctoberRavenO