The Anime Thread

Ruki

On 1/25/2018 at 06:30, Hellraiser said:

So I recently finished watching an anime called "Beck". It's about this high school band trying to make it big. And I've enjoyed watching it. It's very well written for the most part. Everything involving the band is great. But the romance poirtions about the anime involving the main character's relationships are quite annoying. 

Oh man, I remember watching that like....9-10 years ago. I don't remember much about the story, but I do remember liking the music,. 

4 hours ago, Ruki said:

Oh man, I remember watching that like....9-10 years ago. I don't remember much about the story, but I do remember liking the music,. 

The music is great. When the anime focuses on the band and their struggles it is awesome. But the romance portions of this anime are weak. That is due to a combination of the main character and his love interest acting like idiots at certain points and the authors having the love intrest acting completely out of character from a certain episode on seemingly only to unnecessarily create more drama.

Edited by Hellraiser

37 minutes ago, Benji said:

Continuing the DB Movie watch through, the first Cooler film is definitely the best so far. Cooler is a solid villain and I sort of wish he'd been in the series to expand his character more.

Agreed. Both of the Cooler movies were good. Maybe King Cold should have brought Cooler with him when he and robo-Frieza came to the earth to take revenge on the Z Fighters for what happened on Namek. They could have turned that into a mini-arc instead of having them slaughtered by Trunks in 1 epiosde.

I've gotten so used to watching subbed Dragonball that I sometimes look away forgetting I can't understand it without seeing it.

DBS

Spoiler

I do hope they explain why Frieza couldn't counter Hakai like he did before.

4 hours ago, =BK= said:

I've gotten so used to watching subbed Dragonball that I sometimes look away forgetting I can't understand it without seeing it.

DBS

Hide contents

I do hope they explain why Frieza couldn't counter Hakai like he did before.

It's been a while, but wasn't the Hakai he countered before just a small sample give to the assassins or whatever? Given that this Hakai was used by Toppo, it was presumably more powerful and pure, meaning he wasn't able to counter it like before, I'd guess.

Also, I loved the part when Freeza showed up again after that. It was almost exactly like when he showed up alive after getting hit by a Genki Dama in Namek, just before killing Krillin and making Goku turn SSJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix UK has:

Sword Art Online and SAO:II

Fate/stay night

Code Geass

Bleach

Full Metal Alchemist

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop

And various other ones I've not heard of. I'm ignoring AoT and Death Note because I've watched them - what else is really worth a look out of these?

Both FMAs, definitely. The first FMA has an anime-only ending and Brotherhood, which is a more faithful adaptation of the manga, can be somewhat redundant for the first few episodes, but they're both excellent and two of the best anime shows ever, IMO. Fate is... eh. If it was Fate/Zero I'd tell you to watch it, definitely, but for F/SN, maybe watch 2-3 episodes just to check it out. As for the rest, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are usually highly rated, but they weren't my cup of tea (Bebop is considered a classic), and while I enjoyed SAO, it's far from perfect and I can understand the criticism it get from a lot of people. The first season does go downhill for the second half, but I feel it picks up in the second season again. 

EDIT: Oh, and Code Geass is definitely worth watching as well, especially if both seasons are available. I never watched Bleach, so I can't talk about that one.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I missed the introduction of Toga in the MHA anime when I watched?

I feel like they really messed up on her voice. It sounds too normal. She needs something that can be creepy. Like, if any of you have played the new DBZ game think of Android 21's voice when she's really ramped up about eating someone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Johnny Latino Heat said:

Just finished watching tonight's DB Super. What an episode! What a fight! Kudos to everyone involved in this episode!

Jiren pushed the Krillin Button. 

He shouldn't a did that.

DBS

Spoiler

That fight was the best animated and choreographed this show has put out.

But.

This entire arc is just bad. It's taken every thing that DBZ is criticized for and turns it up to ten. Meaningless boasting about power(Jirin's entire script since he started talking)? Transformations out the ass(WE HAD THREE NEW ONES HERE)? Old characters becoming useless in the end? All checked off and done worse. The Black arc was the best this show had to offer in story despite it's plot holes.

Plot note: I thought Frieza had struck Goku from behind there. I had been hoping in the end Jirin would somehow eliminate Goku  and Frieza would slip out of a hole and get him from behind to win it so that kind of colored my thoughts.

24 minutes ago, =BK= said:

DBS

Hide contents

Plot note: I thought Frieza had struck Goku from behind there. I had been hoping in the end Jirin would somehow eliminate Goku  and Frieza would slip out of a hole and get him from behind to win it so that kind of colored my thoughts.

Oh, you read those spoilers too :shifty: .

? I avoid spoilers like crazy. To the point I even swore off the DBZ subreddit.