Doctor Who

Benji

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-jenna-louise-coleman-quits-4061757

Doctor Who’s companion Jenna-Louise Coleman is set to leave the hit BBC show.

The actress, 28, is believed to be quitting her role as the Time Lord’s assistant in a sensational Christmas storyline.

Her exit could bring an end to her 18 months as Clara Oswald, creating a vacancy for another sidekick to star alongside new Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi.

Yesterday a source said: “The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out.

“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”

BBC Doctor-Who.jpg

Doctor Who

The source added: “It was very much a mutual decision.

“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”

The Doctor’s “companion” has become a key part of the success of the iconic sci-fi series, which returns to our screens on Saturday.

There have been almost 60 since the launch in 1963.

Other stars who have occupied the role include Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, ­Catherine Tate as Donna Noble and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler.

BBC MAIN-doctor-who-companions2.jpg

Companions: Billie Piper, Jenna-Louise and Karen Gillan

Speculation had been rife among the show’s fans about whether Jenna’s ­character Clara would have a romantic liaison with new star Capaldi, 56, who takes over from Matt Smith.

However boss Steven Moffatt dismissed the suggestion but hinted that Clara’s relationship with the Doctor is set to change dramatically with Peter Capaldi’s arrival.

He explained last month: “He’s not as immediately approachable and he’s not necessarily looking for your approval.

“I would like to restore the sense that when he says, ‘Wait here, I’ll be back’, you really hope he’ll be back, but you’re not absolutely convinced. What he’s not doing is reassuring you very much.”

BBC Doctor-Who.jpg

Crush: With previous Doctor Matt Smith

And he added that the impact on his companion would be clear, explaining: “From a Doctor she could sort-of control because he had a crush on her, she’s landed with a Doctor who barely registers that she’s a girl.

“They’re great friends and all that but she has to be his human interface with everybody else.”

Adding that the series will become “more serious”, he said: “One of the watchwords we have this year is there are consequences for choosing to live like this.

"It’s not a fairy-tale – we want to make it feel that these adventures can hurt.”

The BBC refused to comment on Jenna-Louise’s exit.

Lineker! You work for the BBC! Confirm or deny!

And if true, good riddance. I never particularly liked Clara as a companion

She was one of the better ones from the new series, the fact was not obsessed with wanting to sleep with the Doctor like Pond or trout face was a massive plus.

Actually Clara does confess to fancying the Doctor in the Christmas special.

I hope she gets a lot more room to grow this series. I think because she was the central mystery for much of the last season, and then after that was kind of an accessory to bigger Doctor centralised stories, she hasn't really had much of a chance to round herself out as a character.

She was one of the better ones from the new series, the fact was not obsessed with wanting to sleep with the Doctor like Pond or trout face was a massive plus.

Actually Clara does confess to fancying the Doctor in the Christmas special.

I hope she gets a lot more room to grow this series. I think because she was the central mystery for much of the last season, and then after that was kind of an accessory to bigger Doctor centralised stories, she hasn't really had much of a chance to round herself out as a character.

She may have been interested but unlike Amy and trout face they got to a point they were obsessed with wanting to fuck him, Amy even "pounced" on him.

Who is "trout face"?

Rose, when ever she looks sad on screen she gets all pouty and looks like a fish.

You know why Billie Piper does that?

Because she wants to.

Because she wants to.

:shifty:

• Like 4

Jenna Louise Coleman might be one of the longest serving companion actresses but I bet if you compared them by screen time, like has been done for the Doctors, she'd be near the bottom. It's purely the new series' seasonal as opposed to serialised format that means more time passes without her actually doing anything of note. I'd say she's probably had the least character development of any companion this side of Dr Grace Holloway, and I'm including that Adam guy from the Eccleston series who was in all of 2 episodes.

The classic series I believe was 26 25 minute episodes, the new series is 13 45 mimute episodes so roughly they even themselves out.

Still cant be as bad as Kamelion, a robot that was under control of the Master then spent most of his time stuck in the tardis till the Master takes him over again, his run lasted 6 stories and was only really seen in 2.

And also Katarina, she lasted 4 episodes which then I think gets trumped by Sara Kingdom with 9 although for some of that she was against the Doctor.

Edited by TheWho87

• Admin

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-jenna-louise-coleman-quits-4061757

Doctor Who’s companion Jenna-Louise Coleman is set to leave the hit BBC show.

The actress, 28, is believed to be quitting her role as the Time Lord’s assistant in a sensational Christmas storyline.

Her exit could bring an end to her 18 months as Clara Oswald, creating a vacancy for another sidekick to star alongside new Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi.

Yesterday a source said: “The conversations about Jenna’s exit have started, and a plan is in place which is being ironed out.

“By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.”

BBC Doctor-Who.jpg

Doctor Who

The source added: “It was very much a mutual decision.

“It’s important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline.”

The Doctor’s “companion” has become a key part of the success of the iconic sci-fi series, which returns to our screens on Saturday.

There have been almost 60 since the launch in 1963.

Other stars who have occupied the role include Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, ­Catherine Tate as Donna Noble and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler.

BBC MAIN-doctor-who-companions2.jpg

Companions: Billie Piper, Jenna-Louise and Karen Gillan

Speculation had been rife among the show’s fans about whether Jenna’s ­character Clara would have a romantic liaison with new star Capaldi, 56, who takes over from Matt Smith.

However boss Steven Moffatt dismissed the suggestion but hinted that Clara’s relationship with the Doctor is set to change dramatically with Peter Capaldi’s arrival.

He explained last month: “He’s not as immediately approachable and he’s not necessarily looking for your approval.

“I would like to restore the sense that when he says, ‘Wait here, I’ll be back’, you really hope he’ll be back, but you’re not absolutely convinced. What he’s not doing is reassuring you very much.”

BBC Doctor-Who.jpg

Crush: With previous Doctor Matt Smith

And he added that the impact on his companion would be clear, explaining: “From a Doctor she could sort-of control because he had a crush on her, she’s landed with a Doctor who barely registers that she’s a girl.

“They’re great friends and all that but she has to be his human interface with everybody else.”

Adding that the series will become “more serious”, he said: “One of the watchwords we have this year is there are consequences for choosing to live like this.

"It’s not a fairy-tale – we want to make it feel that these adventures can hurt.”

The BBC refused to comment on Jenna-Louise’s exit.

Lineker! You work for the BBC! Confirm or deny!

I can neither confirm nor deny this <_<

If true though - good or bad companion, at least this will give the chance for a new Doctor and companion to start with a fresh clean slate.

The classic series I believe was 26 25 minute episodes, the new series is 13 45 mimute episodes so roughly they even themselves out.

Still cant be as bad as Kamelion, a robot that was under control of the Master then spent most of his time stuck in the tardis till the Master takes him over again, his run lasted 6 stories and was only really seen in 2.

And also Katarina, she lasted 4 episodes which then I think gets trumped by Sara Kingdom with 9 although for some of that she was against the Doctor.

Kamelion didn't last long because the only person who could properly operate the controls died, though.....

And I still can't see how Sara Kingdom can really be considered a companion. If she qualifies, then just about every character who has worked alongside the Doctor once should.....

The fact that Kamelion had the power to transform into other forms could have easilly been utilized, it was clearly an experiement that didnt work as well as it should have.

Sara Kingdom is one of those debatable companions, I will agree that she shouldent be classes as a companion since she was only written for one story however considering the length of the story I would agree her inclusion in the same aspect as Adam and Micky from the modern series since they only had 1-2 episode travveling with the Doctor and Sara was travelling for a bit with the Doctor in the same aspect. Same really for Katarina since she was only in two stories her debut in Myth and then dying 4 episodes in during Master Plan.