Doctor Who

Benji

TND is The Next Doctor, aka the Victorian Christmas episode? PotD is Planet of the Dead, aka the "sitting in a bus in the desert" episode.

I did like that episode a lot more than Planet of the Dead, because I enjoyed the setting and found the concept more amusing. There was a bit too much crap with the other Doctor's story and it obviously got really rather silly towards the end, but it was good fun. Meanwhile Planet of the Dead's plot didn't really interest me... I didn't care for Michelle Ryan's character either (erring very close to simply being Lara Croft as it did), and by God that semi-psychic woman on the bus was bloody annoying almost every time she opened her mouth. ¬_¬

Either one is as much of a filler episode as the other, though. >_>

Edited by stokeriño

I rewatched TND the other day, and it's not bad, not as good as other xmas episodes (I rewatched VotD the same day and enjoyed it much more, even if some of the characters are fucking anoying). The main problem I think with PotD is that it was a midseason filler episode strached out by 15 miniutes and expected to hold people until November and Waters of Mars, which isn;t what that sort of episode can do. An episode like Planet of the Dead is designed to act as a ligher break between darker episodes (like The Idiot's Lantern in series 2).

I think someone on IMDB was taking the piss a wee bit...

Names thrown out who were considered to play the Eleventh Doctor include James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle, Bill Nighy (who expressed interest), David Walliams (who also expressed interest and came extremely close to being cast, but conflicts with Little Britain USA forced him to turn it down), Harry Lloyd, David Morrissey, Paterson Joseph, David Knijnenburg, Daniel Radcliffe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, John Simm, Russell Tovey, Sean Pertwee, Russell Crowe and Randy Orton.

:w00t:

I'd love to see Robert Carlyle as the Doctor someday. He was one of the first names I thought of when I found out Tennant (who I have the same birthday as, incidentally) was leaving. He's going to be on Stargate Universe, though, so hopefully Stargate Universe will either be cancelled or his character on it will be killed off by the time Matt Smith decides to leave or gets fired, and he'll be one of the candidates to replace him.

The new companion looks....tasty. (I have a thing for redheads)

I'd rather have Shawn Michaels as the Doctor than Randy Orton. Because he could Sweet Chin Music the hell out of half the Doctor's rogue's gallery, or even do a Flying Elbow Drop off the top of the Tardis. And it would be damn hard to RKO a Dalek. (SCM on its eyestalk)

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mediocre episode at best, seemed like they were going for a zombie apocalypse but it ended up being cheesey, and not the good Doctor Who cheesey. Still, like NBT said the ending was brilliant and David Tennant deserves massive praise for his ability to switch his Doctor from being confident to arrogant with such subtlety without anyone even noticing before that moment, it's been building for so long - the loneliness and power has finally turned him insane. I look forward to the Christmas Specials more than ever, with The Doctor becoming more and more Master-like I'm wondering just how much of a foe he's going to be in the grand scheme of things.

Also... OOD SIGMA~ Ohhhh yes!

Alright? Mediocre? Maybe I've been starved of decent Doctor Who, but I thought that was one of the best episodes in bloody ages Wow. The general water monster premise was a bit naff, but it's one of those stories where the underlying character development of the Doctor is far superior to the actual good vs. bad story anyway.

It was a little heavy-handed, but I like how he called back to Pompeii - the fact that he had tried to help before, and it had all gone wrong, yet he didn't realise that the same thing would essentially happen this time, he genuinely thought he had that power.

Obviously the Doctor's "Time Lord victorious" megalomania was far and away the highlight, and definitely the moment that people will remember, and I think that was genius - every Doctor is characterised by a handful of character traits, and one of Tennant's has been his loneliness, and an inability to come to terms with that. For him to realise the flipside of being the LAST Time Lord was just beautifully done - and essentially turned him into everything The Master had tried to become.

Speaking of The Master - cannot wait. Going to be interesting as a Christmas special, as they're usually horribly cheesy, but this one looks "epic" for lack of a better word. Will be full of corny dialogue, I'm sure, but The Master back is just awesome - and I marked out for vintage Master laughing on the trailer. I can see a lot of contrasts being drawn between the Master and the Doctor, even moreso than usual. Can't wait.

Just got around to finally seeing it. I thought it was the weakest storylinewise in a long while, but as Skummy said especially that wasn't what this was about. This was all about the charatcer of The Dr. And it fucking rocked for that. The last 15 or so minutes were brilliant, and the scenes for the X-Mas episode were glorious and I can't wait.

I honestly thought it was an all round good episode (once it hit it's stride) with an excellent ending. I'm really looking forward to The End of Time now. Any ideas on how they bring The Master back?

I honestly thought it was an all round good episode (once it hit it's stride) with an excellent ending. I'm really looking forward to The End of Time now. Any ideas on how they bring The Master back?

i've heard rumors and judging from some things in the trailer their might be somethig between The Master and Wilfred Mott

also dont start on my if this had been posted before but it seems that Doctor Who is not on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/show/drwho

Edited by TheWho87

Just caught up and maybe it was just me watching it in a dark room at 3 am but those water things scared the crap out of me and the heaviness of the whole episode really got to me.

Echoing everyone else the ending was fan-dabi-dozi and his arrogance is so swift and seamless from his non confident self that the whole build up in the episode made it all worth it.