Doctor Who

Benji

Really enjoyed the first part of the finale. 

It's a shame that the two big reveals:

Spoiler

Simm's Master and Mondasian cybermen

Couldn't have been saved as a surprise though. 

• Like 1

I think the second "reveal" you mention was telegraphed before the series started, and then again in the trailers if you knew your Doctor Who history. But I will admit the reveals surrounding it were interesting but it did distract/overload from their "genesis" which is something I was really interesting in seeing as it has not been covered in the show.

Spoiler

I completely forgot the Mondasian Cybermen were in this episode, so even with all the stuff in the hospital it took me practically until they actually showed up before I realised that was what was going on! Simm I knew to expect, but I kept waiting for some kind of hint that Missy had orchestrated the whole thing - I didn't see the reveal coming, even when he started talking to Missy about knowing her, I figured he was working for the Master, not him in disguise. I must be getting a little slow on the uptake in my old age!

I've seen a lot of people praising this as the best episode of the series, but I don't think I'd go that far. It was brilliantly creepy in places, and did a good job of exploring Doctor Who mythos, but Moffat's continuity-hopping completely put me off, it's been the only downside of the series. This episode didn't need flashbacks. Don't "kill" Bill and then show us the Doctor promising her he wouldn't let her die, just tell a linear fucking story for once.

They were both a relative surprise to me because I refuse to watch the "next week" bits at the end of each episode. While I knew both things were happening at some point and were bound to happen soon since the season is almost over, I would've guessed that the elevator shafts were being used by Cyberman regardless and it didn't take me long to notice how familiar the mouths of the head bandages were. The Master's reveal totally blew me away though and that was after I'd already decided Razor was a brilliantly written and performed character, which only served to make the revealing scene one of my favourite moments since the revival.

Creepy.

Creepy is very important to me for Dr. Who. Far more so than episodes like last week's.

Mondassian Cybermen are much creepier than the newer versions. The voices are creepier, heads are MUCH creepier, movement much creepier and having them being slowly worked on in a creepy old hospital by a creepy doctor and nurse combo and the volume being turned down on their suffering etc etc etc.....Yeah, took me back to my childhood fear of Cybermen which was lost in New Who.

Beats the previous best New Who Cybermen reveal (with the liquid being released in their tubes at the end a couple of series ago) by some way.

Also, loved that they used black holes (creepy, reminded me of the Impossible Planet) and the idea of time travelling much slower when closer to it (which Red Dwarf used in one of their books).

All in all, one of the best of the series. I've also REALLY liked The Lie of the Land, Extremis and Oxygen. Also liked The Pilot, Smile, Thin Ice, The Pyramid.

Empress of Mars was decent enough. Knock Knock was soooo nearly brilliant. Could probably have been twice as long but I think it suffered from a lack of time afforded it.

In fact, for me the Eaters of Light has been the only weak episode in a very strong series. Bill's been brilliant. Missy's been great too. Also I totally wasn't expecting to like Nardole ANYWHERE near as much as I do. Capaldi's awesome of course.

12 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Bare in my mind I am a bit new to this stuff so why should I care that it's a...

Reveal hidden contents

Mondassian Cyberman?

Also that can't really be the end for Bill can it? That's really shitty if it is

Cybermen made their first appearance in William Hartnell's final serial in 1966 'The Tenth Planet'. Mondas was Earth's sister planet and was being piloted by the Cybermen, Mondasian natives who had upgraded their bodies cybernetically, to steal Earth's energy because Mondas was dying. The current arc is serving as an origins story for them as the Cybermen which have appeared in the new series were all originally created by John Lumis in the parallel universe before breaking through realities to invade the Doctor's universe. Part of the reason that the return of the original Mondasian Cyberman is so big is because the design was only used once before the classic look associated with the series' original run was introduced, and the aforementioned origin finally being revealed.

Basically, its like Star Trek where the original Klingons looked more human than later representations because of technical restraints only for it to then be explained within the context of the show itself.

3 hours ago, Naitch said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cybermen made their first appearance in William Hartnell's final serial in 1966 'The Tenth Planet'. Mondas was Earth's sister planet and was being piloted by the Cybermen, Mondasian natives who had upgraded their bodies cybernetically, to steal Earth's energy because Mondas was dying. The current arc is serving as an origins story for them as the Cybermen which have appeared in the new series were all originally created by John Lumis in the parallel universe before breaking through realities to invade the Doctor's universe. Part of the reason that the return of the original Mondasian Cyberman is so big is because the design was only used once before the classic look associated with the series' original run was introduced, and the aforementioned origin finally being revealed.

Basically, its like Star Trek where the original Klingons looked more human than later representations because of technical restraints only for it to then be explained within the context of the show itself.

Spoiler

Not to be too pedantic, the John Lumic/Cybus cybermen are characterised by the C design in the centre of their chests and are from the other universe, other cybermen have used the same physical design but without the chest design meaning that they are cybermen from our universe.

I incorrectly recalled them dropping the 'C' from the chest plate before breaking through but its possibly one of those changes which simply isn't addressed.

Also, in checking out a clip from the Daleks vs. Cybermen episodes it quickly refreshed my memory of just how much I disliked those first few years. I genuinely don't think I could force myself to re-watch many RTD era episodes.

The Lumic Cybermen were only used during one or two storylines. The Cybermen seen after that period were regular Cybermen, and their design changed during the Matt Smith era.

But the Mondasian Cybermen returning is a big deal, since they were only ever used once, in William Hartnell's final story. Personally, I find they look a lot more disturbing, because you can tell they're part human. Other Cybermen look like robots.

Edited by GhostMachine

Spoiler

Holy fucknuts I am so excited for this. That was a tremendous finale, and that cliffhanger is something else. I thought it would be a fakeout with old voice footage and him shrouded in shadow. David Bradley is so perfect for this.

That was extraordinary.

Spoiler

I had been hoping, recently, that somehow the whole "Capaldi's last season" story had been a swerve - the fact that there's been no announcement of a new Doctor, and the constant teases of regeneration this series had me hoping, as unlikely as that seemed. While obviously that isn't happening, I had the feeling that something weird would happen - something bigger than "just" a new actor. And bloody hell they managed it, didn't they?

I have no idea what to expect from the Christmas special now, and just hope it won't be a letdown. Whatever happens, a brilliant end to a brilliant series, and a redeeming series for Capaldi's Doctor. It felt like they gave him a bit of a "greatest hits" run, and he's revelled in it. 

Fantastic episode. This whole series has surprised me with its quality given how put off I was by that teaser Bill got announced in. I'd found Nardole annoying before this season started as well. I'm not sure how it happened but they made it all click and it was awesome.

Spoiler

Only thing I'm not sure I liked is The Master being responsible for two of his own deaths. Don't get me wrong, they were both excellent, but they'll find some way of bringing him back again in a few years and it'll lose some significance.

Hyped for a two Doctor Christmas special too!

Spoiler

I know that was significant and it felt big to me but I don't know who exactly the guy at the end was supposed to be. The first Doctor right? But I thought that was John Hurt? Or is this guy the real first one and they stuck in the John Hurt stuff later?

The Bill stuff had me crying the whole episode. I didn't realize how much I really loved her. I am so glad she got a happy ending too because it didn't look to be leaning that way.

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:
  Hide contents

I know that was significant and it felt big to me but I don't know who exactly the guy at the end was supposed to be. The first Doctor right? But I thought that was John Hurt? Or is this guy the real first one and they stuck in the John Hurt stuff later?

The Bill stuff had me crying the whole episode. I didn't realize how much I really loved her. I am so glad she got a happy ending too because it didn't look to be leaning that way.

Spoiler

He was meant to represent the first Doctor, they used David Bradley who played William Hartnell in the An Adventure in Space and Time drama.

John Hurt is the War Doctor and he bridges the gap between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston but his regeneration is somehow questionable since he tends to mess up the order meaning that Capaldi should be the 13th and last Doctor.

• Like 1