Doctor Who

Benji

Reallly enjoyed that episode - a good solid start to the season. Bill was actually pretty decent too. 

3 hours ago, Voyeur said:

About the spoiler regarding a possible return...

Reveal hidden contents

I think The Doctor may regenerate, and Simms may play The Doctor for a short while. Maybe Missy does something that controls the regeneration. She forces The Doctor to wear The Master's face. 

You know what? I'd actually be okay with that, as long as 

Changing his appearance again doesn't use up a regeneration. ie, Simm is either 12.1 or 13.0, and turns into 13.1. Hell, I'd be fine if Simm is Thirteen, period. Maybe just don't wear black as the Doctor?

I liked this episode. It was as good an introduction to a new companion, and by extension to the concepts of Doctor Who, as we're likely to get from Moffat, and had some nice continuity nods. I quite like Bill so far, and they didn't overdo the "she's gay" aspect of the character as much as I thought they would.

Only downsides, for me, were it was a bit too Moffat-y in its direction - lots of cuts and flashbacks, non-linear storytelling for the sake of it, which added nothing - and the suggestion that we might see the girl with a star in her eye again. I've had enough of mysterious women showing up unexpectedly and being Super Important. It's a trope I hope goes with Moffat.

I'm not sure how I feel about Simm coming back. The appeal of him, as The Master, for me was that he a perfect counterpart to Tennant's Doctor. I can't see him working as well with Capaldi's, but we'll see how that goes. It'll be interesting to see how they justify him being back, too. It kind of feels like they're giving Capaldi a bit of a Greatest Hits tour on his way out, letting him work with all the heavy hitters.

Really not happy with Kris Marshall as a prospective Doctor. He's pretty awful, and - while this was true of Capaldi as well, Capaldi is an infinitely better actor - a little too recognisable a face. He seems too safe, too ordinary. A new Doctor should excite me, like Capaldi did, or at least make me think "oh, okay, how's this going to work?". He just seems boring. I can't see myself putting in much effort to keep up with the series if he comes on board.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The DVR didn't record the last minute or so. It cut out as the Doctor was starting to talk to whoever is behind the door. 

Did they show who (or what) was behind the door?

Nope. The person just played the piano as the Doctor opened the door. 

I was assuming last week that it was The Master behind the door, after this episode, I'm even more convinced of that.

Probably the weakest episode so far, just because the ending/explanation felt a bit of a cop-out, though the horror episodes often have that problem.

So far I'd say this is shaping up to be one of the strongest seasons of New Who yet, we haven't had a bad episode, and nothing that's made me think "why the fuck do I bother watching this". Feels like such a shame to lose Capaldi after this.

Capaldi has shaped up to be one of my favorite Doctors, since Clara left. 

The only thing I hate is that there's no preview for the next episode afterward on BBC America. Instead they show it during Class, which I have yet to watch.

How is Class? 

I enjoyed that episode, even if the explanation/ending seemed a little clunky. I was reading somewhere that it's episode 6 where we get the behind the door reveal.

19 hours ago, Skummy said:

I was assuming last week that it was The Master behind the door, after this episode, I'm even more convinced of that.

See, I've been assuming that, but it also seems very odd that they've already shown The Master in trailers if they are going to be the surprise reveal. Maybe I'm looking too much "behind the scenes" and over thinking it though.

Fair point - though that could just be a disconnect between the showrunner and the marketing; and, after all, knowing that The Master is going to appear is not the same as knowing how and when.

You may be right, though, and it could be a bait and switch. Just so long as it's not a bloody Dalek.

• Like 1

I did see a theory that would make me smile if true, but I don't think is. The second song played was "Pop Goes The Weasel", which is synonymous with the Jack-in-a-Box toy. Could literally be that he's Captain Jack in a box :lol: Would be daft though since it was a supposed tale of death that brought the inhabitant to life, so I think it probably is The Master. Like you say, disconnect between marketing and show runner, plus they probably couldn't have kept it a secret anyway.

• Like 1