Doctor Who

Benji

The big problem for me if they change genders is the risk of cheap writing just because they changed genders and doing the whole "I'm a woman now, vaginas are cool" type of writing. On top of that there will be that irritating group of people not happy with changing gender, they will want a change of race and to express a sexual preference and we don't need another Captain Jack.

and to be clear, I don't care if they change these things for the Doctor, my only concern is towards the writing, because to me the character of the Doctor should be written for anybody to play.

All I want is a compelling lead (either sex, any age, any ethnicity), that's written competently and is entertaining, consistently, for a whole season. Capaldi himself was great, but some of the writing has been shocking in recent years.

• Like 2

Who I'd like to see play the Doctor, but probably never will (in no particular order):

Idris Elba

Sean Pertwee

Sam Claflin 

Jamie Bamber

I thought about adding Sam Riley to that list, but he might be a better choice for the Master.....

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I'd rather a relative unknown. Tennant and Smith did well from that position, and it makes sure you don't have any preconceived notions about what this regeneration will be.

I have no strong preference either way, but I like the logic.

• 1 month later...

Spoiler for the new series

Spoiler

The original Mondasian Cybermen return to Doctor Who as filming begins on the final block of the forthcoming series…

Filming has begun on the final two episodes of Doctor Who series 10, with this first look image revealing the return of a much-feared classic foe.

The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) is pictured with the Mondasian Cybermen – the original version of the Doctor’s deadly enemies who hail from the planet Mondas and have not been seen in Doctor Who for over fifty years.

The Mondasian Cybermen - Peter Capaldi’s long-time favourite foe - will return in episodes 11 and 12 of the series, alongside Capaldi as the Doctor, Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts, Matt Lucas as Nardole and Michelle Gomez as Missy. The episodes, written by Steven Moffat and directed by Rachel Talalay, are now filming in Cardiff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/adff0629-5ce5-4a0e-b81a-69693d489745

C6QHvDjXMAAP2_c.png

Edited by TheWho87

To be honest if Capaldi is going...I'd quite like to see a 'Doctor of the week' season really. A series of one-off stories over several regenerations (that occur in-between stories in previous seasons) with an over-arching arc-plot.

Cast Sean Pertwee as the Third Doctor, David Bradley as the First Doctor, bring back Smith and Tennant for one-off episodes. Have maybe 4 episodes with a pre-Time War Paul McGann, involve Tom Baker as the Curator/Future Doctor and (if bridges could be mended) have an appearance by Christopher Eccleston.

Try and set it at times where the Doctor could conceivably have been travelling alone and have one companion meet him over all those time periods, so the story is told through them and we see things happen chronologically from their viewpoint.

Then have the series finale bring all of them together (or as many of them as the Beeb can afford/sensibly include in the storytelling) to face that season's 'big bad'.

Would make a change from the established story-telling and might give the show a bit of a kick up the backside story-telling wise?

Early birthday present (April 18th - same as David Tennant - and I mean the same as in we're the same age) that I'm not sure I really want. 

But its way past time they brought back what's shown in the spoiler that TheWho87 posted. :D

Look, as far as I'm concerned, we've gotten I reckon four properly decent episodes each Capaldi series, without depending on the quickly-tiring Weeping Angels, which is better than it had been.

Listen, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, Darkwater in Capaldi's first series.

Under The Lake, Sleep No More, Face The Raven (which would have been the best Clara exit option) and Heaven Sent which is my favourite episode in years and years in Capaldi's second.

I have to put up with Zygons, Daleks and general shite most weeks but I still tune in in that hope that it's going to be one of those creepy, weird and bedtime kiddie horror stories that rock up from time to time (see: The Silence, the Impossible Planet, that kid in the gasmask, first couple of Angel episodes, the Labyrinth, the creepy dolls house in the cupboard, anything with animatronic faces that suddenly switch to evil....)

I don't care about the lore or the cheesy humour. I just want that moment where I go ".......woah".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every year the trailer successfully manages to pull together a few bits which make me interested in the upcoming series but eventually leads to feeling let down by the end of it all.

100% echo the love for the Curse of Fatal Death. Its been a favourite of mine since I became a huge Dr Who fan in the early 2000s. Easily my favourite Comic Relief sketch ever.