Doctor Who

Benji

It was only used by the Second a couple of times, I havent caught a recon of Fury of the Deep where it debuted but I believe it was intended as a multitool even though the only surviving footage of it is unscrewing a gun screw in War Games. If I recall from some of the DVD commenaries they tried not to use it as a cure-all device during Pertwee's and Bakers early run, the problem arises around the later Baker years when it began being the get out of jail free card. Technically the reason it was destroyed in Visitation was that the writer had the logic that the Doctor had a few of them so just did it to write it out of the story, then John Nathan Turner decided to kill it off for good. It only returned for the TV movie and even then he doesnt use it, its just in his bag of belongings that got taken away when he was in hopsital and returned at the end.

I preferred the glasses if only because it meant a series of the Doctor not pointing it like a TV remote that doesn't want to work.

Plus the bits where he points  it at  things and gets a.reading made some semblance of sense for a little while. I know it not making a lick of sense is the gag and part of the whole camp charm of all of it but sometimes it's nice to mix things up a bit. 

• Like 2

I like that Me has a time machine all to herself. It only took a couple billion years...

Maisie Williams was a high point in this series...her and Capaldi were both fantastic. And i'm excited that River is going to be in the Christmas special! But! I am ready for a new season and a new companion and new stories. I feel like next season is a chance to really change things up.

My friend who is much more schooled in classic Who than I remarked before this aired that 'the Time Lords are boring'. In this episode, yeah... I didn't hate the episode but the Time Lords were the weakest part.

I enjoyed the finale. Sure, it was flawed but still a 7/10 type of episode. I think it feels weaker because it immediately follows the best episode they've done in years.

Stolen blatantly from Reddit - rank New Who series from favourite to least favourite.

Series 4 (10/Donna)
Series 5 (11/Amy & Rory)
Series 6 (11/Amy & Rory)
Day of The Doctor (10/11/War Doctor/Clara)
Series 2 (10/Rose)
Series 9 (12/Clara)
Series 1 (9/Rose)
Series 7 (11/Amy & Rory/Clara)
Year of Specials (10)
Series 3 (10/Martha)
Series 8 (12/Clara)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I feel I'm probably in a minority over River, but I feel like she wore out her welcome quite some time ago. Also wondering how long they can go on using her when she died younger than she is now >_>

Oh, I got sick of the character a loooooong time ago. Only tolerated her because I've been a fan of Alex Kingston since she was on ER.

They could always do a sequel to Forest of the Dead/Silence In The Library, where the Doctor (or someone else) finds a way to get River's mind out of that database and into a new body. But if they ever do that, I have a feeling it would be a new actress and they'd make the character the Doctor's companion. AW HELL NAW! to that. 

I just wish they'd pull the fucking trigger and bring back Susan. Or Jenny if they're not willing to bring back Susan. We don't know for sure that Jenny can't regenerate, because it seemed pretty clear regenerating wasn't what saved her. 

And its about time we got another companion that isn't from Earth. Or is at least from a different time period.

Edited by GhostMachine

47 minutes ago, Benji said:

Stolen blatantly from Reddit - rank New Who series from favourite to least favourite.

Series 4 (10/Donna)
Series 5 (11/Amy & Rory)
Series 6 (11/Amy & Rory)
Day of The Doctor (10/11/War Doctor/Clara)
Series 2 (10/Rose)
Series 9 (12/Clara)
Series 1 (9/Rose)
Series 7 (11/Amy & Rory/Clara)
Year of Specials (10)
Series 3 (10/Martha)
Series 8 (12/Clara)

Needs acknowledgement of the excellent Night of the Doctor short!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lineklaus said:

Man, that Donna series was so, so good.

What makes it even more amazing is how much I hated Catherine Tate before that.

4 minutes ago, DFF said:

Needs acknowledgement of the excellent Night of the Doctor short!

I kind of fling that in with DotD since it's the prelogue to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Did Me ever wind up using that second immortality thingymabob? Why wouldn't she just use that on Clara then send her back so the raven wouldn't actually kill her?

Yeah, in the episode she got it. Used it on the drunk who was being killed by the lion dude. 

• Like 1

The major disagreement I have with that list is Series 1 being so low. It was certainly better than 2 (and far more consistent) which is a few places too high since while all Series have one awful episode, 2 & 3 had two dreadful ones (Love & Monsters plus Fear Her for 2, that Dalek two parter for 3 and that Shakespeare one which wasn't much better) yet only 3 gets ranked so low. Plus Series 8 was not worse than 3, for starters there was no Doctor Jesus bullshit going on in 8's finale.

Series 4 however I fully agree with, I had the same doubts most people had with Tate joining as a full time companion but goddamn did she knock it out the park.

8 minutes ago, hugobomb said:

The major disagreement I have with that list is Series 1 being so low. It was certainly better than 2 (and far more consistent) which is a few places too high since while all Series have one awful episode, 2 & 3 had two dreadful ones (Love & Monsters plus Fear Her for 2, that Dalek two parter for 3 and that Shakespeare one which wasn't much better) yet only 3 gets ranked so low. Plus Series 8 was not worse than 3, for starters there was no Doctor Jesus bullshit going on in 8's finale.

Series 4 however I fully agree with, I had the same doubts most people had with Tate joining as a full time companion but goddamn did she knock it out the park.

I put season one below season two because whilst season one was good telly, only really The Doctor Dances and Empty Child stand out, plus it introduced the fart-producing Slitheen, whereas season two had The Girl in The Fireplace and Love & Monsters, two of my favourite episodes, as well as the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit which introduced the fantastic Ood, and was probably more consistent in what kind of show it wanted to be. Entirely opinion-based of course, that was the point (now make your own list so I can tell you why you're wrong :P ) I get why people would prefer one over two (Ecclestone was great, and I still wish we'd gotten more of him), but two felt more realised to me.

Series 8 was horrendous, barely watchable telly and the only one on the list I actually hate, the rest go from "still averagely good telly" and above. Series 3 was watchable, even enjoyable at points, but Martha dragged the show down, and the Doctor = Jesus stuff was cringey. The finale was great except for that.

Admittedly all I'd do with 3 & 8 is switch them round because outside of Capaldi being great there wasn't much to shout about. For me the bad stuff in 3 was worse than the bad stuff in 8 and having Blink in it wasn't enough to make up for that. Really it came down to the fact that I hated those two Dalek episodes more than Kill the Moon & Forest of the Night and felt that The Doctor Jesus stuff hurt it's finale more than a weak second part hurt 8's finale. If it weren't for the Doctor Jesus, 3 would have had an excellent finale and I'd be a lot more torn on preferring 8 to it.

If I was the Doctor and ran into River Song after I'd regenerated into an incarnation she hadn't met, I'd be tempted to mess with her mind:

"Is that a...sonic screwdriver?"

"Oh, this thing? is that what its called? I found a funny looking man wearing a fez and bowtie lying dead against a strange blue box and took this out of his hand. From the looks of him, he'd been dead for quite some time. Had a rather nasty looking chest wound. Took me a few days to figure out how it works...."

It does seem slightly odd that aside from the audios, the only Doctor and Susan reunion was the extremely low key one in the Five Doctors. Seeing her with 10 or 11 would have been fun just for the age dynamic. 

Really the next companion should be a talking penguin or what's the point?