Doctor Who

Benji

• 2 months later...

Oh come on, don't sensationalize it with that heading, RT. That's so shitty and clickbaity.

He’s probably best known for bringing us ass-kicking female hero Buffy the Vampire Slayer and followed it up with Dollhouse, in which the central character is a subjugated woman striving for freedom (in a sci-fi setting, of course). So perhaps Joss Whedon's answer to the question "Would you ever write an episode of Doctor Who?" shouldn't come as too much of a surprise...

“Check back with me when The Doctor is a she.”

Actually, his response during this Nerd Machine Q&A was a little more complicated than that...

“I’m not sure, and here’s why”, began Whedon. “I’d have to do a lot of research. Like watch 40 years of television. I’ve seen some of it...”

“It would be very daunting to follow in the footsteps of Moffat and the guys”, he continued, before wrapping up his answer up with that one exciting little statement – plus an important follow up.

“Check back with me when The Doctor is a she”, he teased. “Or Idris Elba.”

Why do we have a feeling he may one day be reminded of those words?

Thats why I opted to also include the full video of the question and answer.

If the decision was down to me, that comment would blackball him from ever writing for Doctor Who, if you need a specific gender character or a specific actor to write for a show then your not writing for the character of the show, you are writing toward your own biases.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

From the Doctor Who Facebook page

giphy.gif

Something is materialising very soon... Check back at midnight UK time to find out!

It was confirmation of Power of the Daleks being re-done as an animation. :)

Its going to be released on November 4th through the BBC Store and then on November 21st on DVD.

I've listened to the cassette version and its an interesting story, I'd say along with Master Plan its one of the top 60's stories of how they daleks were portrayed for the period. Some elements were reused for the Smith WW2 dalek story with the daleks being servants/helping but have a hidden purpose.

Edited by TheWho87

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some details on the Power of the Daleks digital and DVD release.

The animated 'Doctor Who: Power of the Daleks' will be priced at £9.99 SD and £12.99 HD from bbcstore.com from November 5, 2016 where each episode will air on consecutive days.

A DVD release will follow on November 21, 2016 priced £20.42.

The full list of extras is here, some of which will be available on BBC Store from November 14, and on the DVD upon its release on November 21:

Spoiler

Alternate soundtracks [DVD only]
The option to listen to the story with a series of completely new digital re-masters of the original soundtrack – a stereo mix; a 5.1 surround sound mix and version of the original 1966 mono sound mix.

Animation Test Footage
A compilation of animation tests, created during the production of the new animated series.

Audio Commentaries on all 6 episodes [DVD only]
Members of the original cast and crew are joined by members of the new animation unit to discuss the production of the story and its new animated reconstruction. Moderated by Toby Hadoke. Please note: this commentary also includes archive audio.

Booklet with Production Notes [DVD only]
An extensively researched set of production notes, written by the noted television historian Andrew Pixley, covering the behind the scenes story of how the original production was made.

Original Camera Scripts [DVD only]
Selected items of original production paperwork and a complete set of original camera scripts

Original Title Sequence - new restoration
An unedited presentation of the full original 'Doctor Who' title sequence, prepared using an all new HD re-master of the original film elements.

The Power of the Daleks Animation and Photo Gallery
An extended gallery of images, featuring production photographs from the original 1966 series and artwork from the latest animated production, accompanied by incidental music from the story, which has been digitally re-mastered from the original music production tapes.

The Power of the Daleks Surviving Footage & Original Trailer [BBC Store only]
A compilation of short film fragments and clips from the original 1966 BBC television production - the only surviving footage to remain of the show's original BBC1 run.

Original Dalek Voice Session Recording (1966) [DVD only]
Rare and previously unreleased sections from the studio recordings that were made at Maida Vale Studios in 1966 for the Dalek voices.

Servants and Masters - The Making of The Power of the Daleks
A specially prepared documentary directed by John Kelly and featuring interviews with members of the original 1966 cast and crew.

Telesnap reconstruction
Around 400 individual still frames of film exist from the original 1966 television production of 'The Power of the Daleks'. These images were kept in the programme's production files by the BBC Written Archive Centre. These images are here combined with the programme's soundtrack to present a photographic reconstruction of the original programme.

I think the writing being all over the place, plus all these breaks has effectively killed my interest in the new series. I might watch out of habit, but I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm whatsoever about whenever the new series is, and that companion trailer from a while back did more damage in my interest in her than just going in blank.

My main gripe with the series is the companions. And for purposes of this post, by companions I mean those that travel with the Doctor regularly, not one-offs or allies he runs into occasionally. 

The original series had companions from different time periods and planets. So far all the companions in this series have been modern day humans from Earth. And I'm getting sick of that.

• Like 1

I don't have the link handy (sorry), but Big Finish is giving away the first episode of a new 6th Doctor story called "Order of the Daleks" (gee, I wonder who the villains are?) for free. You have to find a particular page on their website and enter the password snellins to download it.

Unfortunately, I think its from the egomaniacal asshole era of the 6th Doctor, because the cover has the Doctor in the garish multicolored outfit from the tv show. Not the pimp as hell blue suit.

Edited by GhostMachine

• 1 month later...