Doctor Who

Benji

So I started typing this to a relisation

One thing I liked about Bill is that she wasn't attracted to the Doctor. Does this mean Bill is going to.. oh wait never mind I forgot what happened in the final.

Wouldn't matter who the Doctor turned out to be. I would be watching. It's still Doctor Who.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/17/colin-baker-doctor-who-female-lead-doctor-jodie-whittaker-inspire-fans

Colin Baker pretty much nailed my feelings on a female Doctor, with the added benefit of it being Colin Baker saying it.

• Like 1

Using broflakes.

Anyway female Doctor has been built towards for a few series now. The Master becoming Missy for example and in Hell Bent when the Doctor's "actions" leads to the regeneration of a Time Lord from male to female.

I liked her in Attack the Block.

• Like 4

Probably just because he was one of the strong front runners for The Doctor, so now The Doctor is female a male companion is probably coming and he wouldn't have been libked for no reason.

I wouldn't mind it, half of it is down to how they are portrayed anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Doctor getting a male companion just because the Doctor is female now. Unless they lampshade it in the show, it all seems a bit skeezy if they just make it clear that, regardless of the Doctor's own gender, they exclusively take the opposite gender off on adventures with them.

On 22/07/2017 at 09:05, hugobomb said:

Colin Baker, who was there with him, immediately told him he was talking rubbish and that boys had had 50 years of The Doctor being male and the new one being female was a good thing.

Colin Baker is a true national treasure. :wub:

Yep...I saw someone on Twitter say that, even though Colin Baker was one of the least popular Doctors, since giving up the role he seems to have proven himself to live out more of the Doctor's values than any other actor who's played the part. He's bloody lovely.

Very disappointing from Davison, who's usually come across as a pretty level-headed, well-humoured bloke.

As far as role models for boys - well, maybe what boys need more of is positive female role models anyway, so they're better equipped to interact with women in real life? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Yep...I saw someone on Twitter say that, even though Colin Baker was one of the least popular Doctors, since giving up the role he seems to have proven himself to live out more of the Doctor's values than any other actor who's played the part. He's bloody lovely.

Very disappointing from Davison, who's usually come across as a pretty level-headed, well-humoured bloke.

As far as role models for boys - well, maybe what boys need more of is positive female role models anyway, so they're better equipped to interact with women in real life? 

I've always found that genderising role models to be really weird. Surely if someone is a good role model they are a good role model to everyone anyway?

• Like 4

On 20/07/2017 at 16:23, Skummy said:

Kris Marshall is rumoured to be the new companion. Fuck's sake.

Oh right, I suppose you think the companion has to be a female 

Goddamn Broflake :shifty: 

• Like 2

I'm now actually sure what I want in a new companion seeing as we have no idea what the Doctor's new personality will be like. I have a hankering for an action-type ala Harry Sullivan and Captain Jack but I imagine that would lead to claims they're being positioned over the leading role just because it's a woman now.

Edited by Naitch

The likes of Captain Jack shouldn't be a full-time companion; the point of the "action" companion is, basically, to be the guy with a gun. The Doctor doesn't use guns, but it's handy every now and then to be able to call on a character who does.

The companion, for me, should always be a relatable human being. Bill was perfect as just a completely ordinary person, and such a refreshing change after Clara and Amy, and well before them Rose, having to be The Most Important Thing In The Universe at some point during their story arc.

The companion is an audience surrogate - they're there to ask questions that the Doctor can answer, so that we get the exposition that the Doctor wouldn't give if (s)he were alone.

I've warmed more to the idea of Kris Marshall as companion, after a conversation with a friend of mine, in that he could probably do alright as a slightly goofy bumbling companion, it's just that he was completely wrong for the role of Doctor. I'd still rather not him. I think if they go with a male companion now, after decades of primarily female companions, it feels a bit too much like casting a female Doctor was a cheap gender swap publicity stunt rather than a considered casting choice.

17 hours ago, Skummy said:

In fairness to Davison it sounds like he's been selectively quoted quite badly to the extent that he's now had to shut down his twitter due to the amount of abuse.

The "loss of a role model" thing is fundamentally daft though when there'll be another regeneration in a couple of years, and brilliantly the character of the Doctor means he/she can easily be relatable to anyone eventually. I can't think of many characters you can do the same with without doing the random ethnicity swap that people always whinge about, it's entirely in character and context with Doctor Who.

• Like 1