Doctor Who

Benji

2 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

A Time Lord/Lady has 12 regenerations, the War Doctor does fuck this system up so either the new Doctor is the last regeneration or the start of a new one, that is unless they want to really fuck with the continuity.

Which was dealt with when 11 regenerated into 12 and, at the very least, reset the counter as far as the limit is concerned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

A Time Lord/Lady has 12 regenerations, the War Doctor does fuck this system up so either the new Doctor is the last regeneration or the start of a new one, that is unless they want to really fuck with the continuity.

Just enjoy the joke nerd :P 

13 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Which was dealt with when 11 regenerated into 12 and, at the very least, reset the counter as far as the limit is concerned.

I do stand corrected, had to double check that in Time of the Doctor the Time Lords gave him a new cycle so the new Doctor is 2.2

I will admit I am concerned about the change in gender, simply because of the writing, they get the regeneration episode to go potty with the "I'm a woman now" stuff and get it out of their system, but then it should go back to treating the character like the genderless alien that the Doctor should always be.

Bloody hell the new showrunner was the writer who gave us this abomination, go women.

Spoiler

torchwood_epguide_s01_e04_01_web.jpg

Edited by TheWho87

I totally agree. The only thing I've seen Jodie Whittaker in is Black Mirror and I don't particularly remember her performance. I know that the episode is generally considered to be the best one of the lot but its actually my least favourite so I'm not in any hurry to watch it again. The best thing to do seems to be to just wait and judge her performance within the role itself. Even then, the 50th anniversary special proved to me that it isn't the actor's performance which makes the biggest difference for me, but the writing itself.

Well, I hope you feminists are happy now. You've ruined the integrity of a show about an alien magician who travels through time in a phone box and fights upturned dustbins with plungers attached to them.

And yes, I don't watch Doctor Who and don't actually know what I'm talking about. But licence fees, fascism masquerading as social reform and shit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheWho87 said:

I will admit I am concerned about the change in gender, simply because of the writing, they get the regeneration episode to go potty with the "I'm a woman now" stuff and get it out of their system, but then it should go back to treating the character like the genderless alien that the Doctor should always be.

I suspect there'll be an element of it similar to how it worked with Bill where it felt like the first episode was "I'm a lesbian!" at seemingly every opportunity, after that it was never particularly played up to being too in your face. I'll concede I've only watched her debut once so maybe retrospectively it isn't so bad but it felt like on a first viewing all of her motivations were essentially "well there's this hot girl and...", I could half foresee a bit of that on the debut but we'll see with the new show runner and a chance to push a bit of a reset button what happens. Like anyone playing the doctor it's about the stories and the quirks they bring the character, write to her strengths and write decent stories and she'll be fine. Look forward to seeing what they do going forward once she's bedded into the role and the next couple of weeks over the top outrage from certain sections of the internet.

2 hours ago, Vamp said:

I can't help but think that some of those Daily Mail comments are people being sarcastic anyway. 

Yeah, if that Frank Bruno as Miss Marple post is from a real person, I seriously want to meet somebody that insane.

http://newsthump.com/2017/07/16/fictional-time-travellers-dont-have-vaginas-insist-morons/

Fictional time travellers don’t have vaginas, insist morons

Travelling through space and time in a police box requires a penis, according to several Internet morons this evening.

As Jodie Whittaker was confirmed as the new Doctor, lots of angry idiots insisted that the genitals of the Doctor play an essential role in the universe in which he resides.

Fan of made up science fiction television stories, Simon Williams, told us,”Yes I am angry about Jodie Whittaker being made the next Doctor.

“But I’m also angry that they have made me so angry about the lack of a penis in a TV show – which sounds extremely weird when I say it like that.

I for one am looking forward to the first Yorkshire Doctor Who.

Doctor Who is a thing I always tried to get into but had a hard time with. Started with the re-boot and didn't love the first doctor, but my OCD-tendencies (I do not have OCD) made me want to watch it before moving on to David Tennant, who I'm sure I would like.

Might jump in with this new lady doctor, because the concept is exciting.