Smackdown vs Raw 2010: It's Your World Now

Hutch2004

The fact that Tazz is still an announcer is mind boggling. Haven't they had enough time to re-record new announcers yet? Seriously, WTF?

That stuff is all recorded months in advance due to things like Road to WrestleMania. There's not really anything they can do in that situation.

• Like 1

Just saw a video of a match, and I have to say the new meter thing now circling around the wrestlers' feet is bad. Was really no problem having the bars at the top of the screen, possibly other than during Rumble or 6 man tag matches when 6 bars took up a bit of space. Just seems like a change for the sake of change.

When I heard they were getting rid of them from atop the screen I could see what they might have been going for. If you're trying to make it more like actual WWE programming then the less stuff on the screen the better. I haven't seen the new setup myself though so I can't comment on that.

Speaking of gameplay, is it true that they're putting in the Legends of Wrestlemania kickout system? Not sure if I care for that.

Shit, it has only been six months. Feels like ages. However, I still think the `Wtf Tazz`has its merits. Six months is still a solid amount of time, and more than enough to record new voice-overs.

Why got to the extra cost and effort, considering they'd have to re-record JR again, as he would now be a colour commentator and not a PBP guy, couple that with the new lines of script they'd have to write, just not worth it.

Would anyone really think,

'Damn, Tazz is commentating, I guess I'll give Smackdown a miss this year'

It is absolutely amazing how little it takes to promt one of those "OMG I will nevur buy tis game thq sucks" reactions. I think everything I've heard about Smackdown this year sounds great. A few little things like Tazz being on commentary, or Miz wearing his shorts is enough to put me off a game that has made some great improvements in the areas that needed it.

The new Royal Rumble mode looks like a big change, and a good one at that.

Shit, it has only been six months. Feels like ages. However, I still think the `Wtf Tazz`has its merits. Six months is still a solid amount of time, and more than enough to record new voice-overs.

They would also have to change the voice over work for the storylines as well.

They would also have to change the voice over work for the storylines as well.

Oooooh nooooo. Seriously, it wouldn't be that much work. If they wanted to do it, they could do it easily. And one could argue that they wouldn't have to change storyline voices, if RTWM is up to Wrestlemania 25, considering Tazz was still with the company up until then.

But really, it's not THAT much work. It's work, obviously, but again, if they wanted to have done it they could have. It's not a game-breaker, but it's still something that can draw you out of your immersion, even if the commentary is shit in general.

Maybe I'm the only one who blasts music while playing these games.

The commentary has been horrid for ages now. I think I've heard the same Shawn Michaels line ever since he came back in "Here Comes The Pain."

"Shawn Michaels is like a fine wine, he only gets better with age."

And that was 2003.

:crying:

Honestly it's something to just overlook as a small detail that probably won't ever be "fixed." Look at a franchise like Madden. Guaranteed to sell millions of copies before it's ever even released, and the commentary is still a major irk for me. I don't think it's so much of a they don't want to fix it, as it is how can they fix it.

How many different lines can you record for a wrestling game and still have it all flow together nicely. At any given point you can have 6 different wrestlers, dozens of match types, 100 of different moves, and of course the occasional biographical talk. It's almost impossible to give it an authentic touch. It would be amazing if it all flowed that well together, but I doubt it's something we will see this gen.

What would be awesome though would be the ability for your friends to provide commentary during online matches. There's a lot of opportunity for abuse there, but maybe there could be a rating system in place for that, and as boring as it sounds perhaps an online leaderboard of some sort for "online commentators."

I'm still psyched for this game based solely on the amount of customization they've added, but if I stop playing it after 2 weeks I won't be shocked. The WWE is so unique at times it's really getting hard to do much to capture it properly in other medias.

... Online commentators? Ehhhhh.

And whether bad or not, when they strive for realism and an accurate recreation of the WWE, having proper commentators is, in fact, a pretty big deal (once again, whether said commentary is bad or not).

And comparing this to Madden is kind of silly. Again, I acknowledge that the commentary is bad. However, Madden, and any sports game, really, has commentators that do not change all that often. Wrestling does, and again, if they want to stay true to an accurate WWE representation, they ought to keep commentators up to date. Tazz, I can forgive (but only because I'm so accustomed to commentators being out of date), but for example, if Coach is still in the game, I'll shit myself.

And as for good commentary? It's entirely possible. More than possible on this generation. And match types and varieties of wrestlers shouldn't matter. We'll obviously never get a true recreation of the dynamics that come with real WWE commentary, but we could get something that's at least TOLERABLE. Just because the commentary is shit year in and year out doesn't mean it should be accepted so easily. In fact, not only that, the animation system, and the core engine they use for Smackdown is archaic and it's embarassing, really.

And again, as for commentary, take a page from UFC. That commentary was great for a video game and several times I've played it people thought I was just watching a UFC PPV. From what I've heard and remember, the NBA 2K series has great commentary and there's a shit-ton of guys on the court in those games. NHL 10 has good (but not amazing) commentary and it has completely contextual commentary as well. I don't know where this idea that commentary can't be goon on this gen comes from, 'cause it can if people aren't lazy.

... Online commentators? Ehhhhh.

And whether bad or not, when they strive for realism and an accurate recreation of the WWE, having proper commentators is, in fact, a pretty big deal (once again, whether said commentary is bad or not).

And comparing this to Madden is kind of silly. Again, I acknowledge that the commentary is bad. However, Madden, and any sports game, really, has commentators that do not change all that often. Wrestling does, and again, if they want to stay true to an accurate WWE representation, they ought to keep commentators up to date. Tazz, I can forgive (but only because I'm so accustomed to commentators being out of date), but for example, if Coach is still in the game, I'll shit myself.

And as for good commentary? It's entirely possible. More than possible on this generation. And match types and varieties of wrestlers shouldn't matter. We'll obviously never get a true recreation of the dynamics that come with real WWE commentary, but we could get something that's at least TOLERABLE. Just because the commentary is shit year in and year out doesn't mean it should be accepted so easily. In fact, not only that, the animation system, and the core engine they use for Smackdown is archaic and it's embarassing, really.

And again, as for commentary, take a page from UFC. That commentary was great for a video game and several times I've played it people thought I was just watching a UFC PPV. From what I've heard and remember, the NBA 2K series has great commentary and there's a shit-ton of guys on the court in those games. NHL 10 has good (but not amazing) commentary and it has completely contextual commentary as well. I don't know where this idea that commentary can't be goon on this gen comes from, 'cause it can if people aren't lazy.

No, the commentary was great at first for UFC, then it just become repeated and samey like almost every other sports game does after you play it for a while. Smackdown isn't the only game who has the commentary issues, actually, most games I've played do.

• Like 1

According to Pro Evo 09 nearly every manager organises "extra training sessions" and that "the manager himself is a workaholic".....Also a lot of defenders tend to clear the ball "whence it came"......

Just one of those things...You can't feed every single possible line to commentators to record.

• Like 1

And noone was expecting that. But it's been the same commentary since HCTP I think. It could be refreshed every couple of years. There is nothing stopping them from refreshing it.

And sure it will get repeat-y after a while but then they refresh it again after a couple more years.

Noone is asking for every single wrestler to have their own commentators log, just that its not the same crap as every other year.

Gamespot did a little feature on the Road to Wrestlemania storylines in this years game: http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blogs/sports-blog/909097139/27063710/smackdown-vs-raw-2010-road-to-wrestlemania-mode-spotlight.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;3

Also, Amazon has the game for the PS3 at 54 bucks plus a ten dollar coupon off a future videogame purchase. You can also get it on the 360 for 56 bucks plus that coupon.