The England thread

Shows how little the goalkeeper really had to, other than pick the ball out of the net once and deal with a few back passes. Not much else, the occassional shot I guess though.

And yes, roxy's right, Downing's found his level, Albanian right backs. Even then when I watched (saw the first 45 and from 70 minutes onwards) he was still pretty poor, losing the ball, rubbish touches, couldn't take the right back on. All in all he's just a piss poor player. I wish Matt Taylor was there instead :(

Turf Moor is not a dump!

It's just surrounded by crappy estates and old peoples homes!!

And fucking Burnley. :P

I was sat in the James Hargreaves stand last night and every house in the town looks identical. <_< Decent place though, wouldn't mind going if Leeds got Burnley in a cup - I'd have gone to the pre-season if I wasn't away.

As for the game, I thought it was pretty good, Albania's #11 (the goalscorer, Berisher or something) was a good player and would fit in very well in the Championship. Owen looked relatively poor last night, though, hope that picks up before Estonia.

• Admin

Full squad btw.

Former captain David Beckham has been named in the England squad for the first time since the 2006 World Cup.

Coach Steve McClaren's U-turn means Beckham, 32, is set to start Friday's friendly against Brazil followed by the Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia.

Fit-again Newcastle striker Michael Owen returns in place of Wayne Rooney, who is suspended for the Estonia game.

Reading's Nicky Shorey, David Bentley of Blackburn and Chelsea's Joe Cole are also included in the 26-man squad.

And Manchester United forward Alan Smith also figures after scoring the opening goal in the England B win over Albania.

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon is selected despite picking up a knock in that 3-1 victory at Burnley's Turf Moor.

But the Spurs midfielder could find his opportunities limited with Beckham back in the fold.

Head coach Steve McClaren told BBC Sport: "Everyone knows David's attributes and he's a big-game player who can help us win in Estonia.

"We've a very important game in Estonia, we need to win it and it is a squad that can win it."

Real Madrid midfielder Beckham last played for England in the World Cup quarter-final defeat against Portugal last June, after which he resigned the captaincy, and has not been selected in any of McClaren's nine previous squads.

McClaren also played down reports that senior members of his squad did not want Beckham recalled.

But he refused to be drawn on whether the former captain's move to Major League Soccer in the summer would hinder his international prospects in the long term.

"Everybody's professional and we've a squad that will blend together that will get us a result and I'm sure everyone will welcome David back," he added.

"But all I'm thinking about is the next two games and we're not looking beyond that. The priority is the next 10 days.

"Obviously his form has been excellent at Real Madrid and he can help us win in Estonia. Beyond that we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Beckham is set to move to LA Galaxy at the end of the Spanish season and is confident he can become a fixture in England's plans again.

"I'll be a lot fitter (playing in LA), still as fit as I am now, maybe more fit," the midfielder told BBC Radio Five Live ahead of the squad announcement.

"The training will be difficult in America with the humidity so I still feel I'd be able to play for England."

Hear the full David Beckham interview on Five Live's 606 show on Saturday 26 May at 1800 BST.

Full England squad to face Brazil and Estonia:

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Carson (Liverpool), Green (West Ham).

Defenders: P Neville (Everton), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), Dawson (Tottenham), King (Tottenham), Shorey (Reading).

Midfielders: Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Jenas (Tottenham), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Bentley (Blackburn), Carrick (Man Utd), Lampard (Chelsea), Downing (Middlesbrough), Dyer (Newcastle).

Forwards: Crouch (Liverpool), Owen (Newcastle), Smith (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham).

Meh, decent enough squad. Dunno why the fuck Phil the Pill and Downing are in there. And Wright-Phillips has been class the last few games of the season, and stoof out for me in the FA Cup final, where is he?

Beckham xD

Good form deserves to be rewarded with the call up, McClaren looks like a bigger idiot but he should never have come out with the whole "yargh, Beckham you are dropped, now everyone will love me for 30 seconds" attitude he seemed to have.

Barry should be in there.

Downing is just fucking diabolical.

He scored two goals against a bunch of plumbers, he still wasn't magnificent trying to go passed their right sided players when he came on, and while his second goal was a nice touch, in fairness my grandad probably would have stuck them both away.

He's not good, he will never be a worthy left sided England player, he's in the squad thanks to McClaren more than anything. He'll be humiliated against Brazil, even if he plays like he did yesterday, which according to a lot of people was good - but I didn't really see it. Scoring two goals against Albania doesn't warrant you having a good game.

Also I love how you see Spanish and Italian players etc. they get the ball, run at a defender, try to go passed him. England? Nah, we run to the defender, turn round, back into them a bit and then play it back into the midfield, then we get frustrated that we aren't breaking through into the box for golden chances, when they only time we actually try to get in is if we try a little 1-2 flick through, which the 'keeper normally comes out and takes safely. We run, turn round, play it back, get frustrated and start with the long range attempts from outside the area. We play such shitty football.

Why did McLaren play a number of plays in less than favoured postions?

Jagialka (right back, has played there before but is a CB or CM)

Barry (put in CM but usually plays LM or LB)

Lennon (played LM, he's right sided)

Lescott (played LB, usually a CB although did play there for Everton last season)

I know these players can play in these postions but it's not the positions they usually play at for clubs is it?

McClaren puts Lescott at LB when we have Baines or Matty Taylor who can play there and probably better.