The England thread

It's hilarious watching all these sports journalists come up with completely different criteria of what an England manager should be:

He has to be British, but if he's a well known guy like Mouriniho it doesn't matter

He can't play "boring" football, even though they also hated Mouriniho's style of play where they defended the goal.

He can't also manage a club at the same time. Why not? Who knows, it isn't as if it's a taxing job arranging another fixture per month.

He can't rely on old players/can't drop old players because they're "experienced"

No wonder no decent manager comes close to managing England, we're left with either a middle of the Premiership manager or an Ex England player.

I don't have any issues with them hiring Capello. He has the experience and like he said is at the right age for the job. Yes he is seen as more defensive but who gives a monkeys if it means we qualify for tournaments. I would much rather see us play with a solid defense and winning games than going gung ho and coming unstuck to the likes of Croatia and Russia for the foreseeable future.

I'd love to see the new manager come in and make a statement, like dropping Lampard or Gerrard, or both. Maybe not permanently if they're performing at club level and thus deserve their selections, but I wouldn't mind seeing somebody give the impression that we can do well without them, because we can.

I'd love to see the new manager come in and make a statement, like dropping Lampard or Gerrard, or both. Maybe not permanently if they're performing at club level and thus deserve their selections, but I wouldn't mind seeing somebody give the impression that we can do well without them, because we can.

Problem is, if he does that every single paper will change from 'Unperforming Stars' to 'WE WANT GERRARD!', with every chance missed being talked about as 'Gerrard would have buried that one'.

Do it by all means, but expect a huge backlash

They just need someone who can manage the players on the day and get the most out of them. Someone who's competent to do something with the team. Capello is a good choice. Luppi is a good choice. Plenty of good choices out there... my ultimate choice would be a guy like Huddink or O'Neill - they need someone to just lift the players into caring. Whoever it maybe, then whatever.

I'd rather they give it time to think about it, rather than get caught up in the hysteria now.

If Jose isn't forced into taking the job by truck fulls of cash, this episode will end in tragedy.

If the FA truly want to make up for the huge gaffe of appointing an unqualified mug like McClaren, then they have to get Jose. Get Jose and our prospects of winning the next World Cup are immediatly brighter. Simple as.

Edited by Michael

If Jose isn't forced into taking the job by truck fulls of cash, this episode will end in tragedy.

If the FA truly want to make up for the huge gaffe of appointing an unqualified mug like McClaren, then they have to get Jose. Get Jose and our prospects of winning the next World Cup are immediatly brighter. Simple as.

We've got to qualify first :shifty:

And with us now being 2nd seeds for the draw on Sunday, means we'll have one of the 'big boys' in our group.

Guest TheBlueyComplex

Yeah, McClaren tried dumping players and starting again, but the papers began campaigning to get players to 'return.' England's problem doesn't lie within the quality of players, it is how we integrate players into the first team squad.

When you look at the World Cup 2002 squad, there are about 9 of the players who'd you say are 'fixtures' in the England squad when fit (A Cole, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Beckham, Owen, Hargreaves, J Cole, James) and three others who quite often make the cut in Brown, Bridge and Heskey.

Seaman, Sinclair, Scholes, Keown, Southgate, Martyn Sheringham have all retired, whilst the rest don't play at high enough level for international football (Fowler, Mills, Murphy, Fowler, Vassell, Dyer and Nicky Butt)

What the fuck happened to integrating new players into the first team? No wonder it's all coming unstuck, since we've essentially been playing the same fucking team since around 2002. When you look at recent years, players have only broken into the England team due to chance injuries to other players. Walcott really was only taken to the last World Cup as a gimmick.

It's really a joke.

England needs to stick to one goalkeeper instead of switching so much. Let Carson be the first choice, give him the ball and see if he runs with it. We've had Van der Sar since god knows when, even when he played for a lame Premiership team like Fulham and when he stops after Euro Cup Stekelenburg will be the first choice no doubt about it. Keepers need to feel confident.

We've got to qualify first :shifty:

And with us now being 2nd seeds for the draw on Sunday, means we'll have one of the 'big boys' in our group.

Now lets see how you like it. :shifty:

Wales will still get 2 "big boys" though I think, and smaller sides that we're still incable of beating.

Fabio Capello wants the job apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7109777.stm

It was in the first post of this thread, baka. :shifty:

Well this takes that further, baka. :angry: