The England thread

Second half was nothing special but the first half performance was the best I've ever seen from England. I thought in particular that Downing and Hargeaves(have we slipped into some sort of alternate universe) were absolutely brilliant. Marked when Kieran came on for reasons unknown and once again Lennon looks class on the right.

Leicester and Aston Villa are the only good thing in the Midlands honestly. Somerset has Bristol which sucks, although wouldn't mind seeing Bristol City in the Championship :P

I used to like you aswell... :(

Despite the fact that Bristol is itself a county, and wouldn't be Somerset even if it wasn't, it'd be Avon (it sortof consumed Avon though, in much the same way as London consumed Middlesex).

But despite that, Rovers will get to the Championship before City do. Fact. :P

What "tactics"? Beckham and the centre backs hoof it up for an injured Wayne Rooney to chase in heat?

Beckham may still be a good player in Spain, but players can afford to be slow on the continent - for example, no one in Italy's World Cup XI was particularly pacey. England need to play at a high tempo and keep the ball, none of which Beckham has offered us post-2002.

Yeah, the tactics sucked, but none of the players really took it upon themselves to try something different, mix it up a little bit, and no-one really performed to any great extent.

I'm just going with the fact that it seems pointless blaming 1 or 2 people when it is obvious (to me) that the whole team (for the most part) were a bit of a let down.

No doubting that, but it's rare that a player would blatantly disregard his manager's tactics and "mix it up" a bit. Beckham's inability to stay on the wing, as he came into the centre, further crowded Lampard and Gerrard, neither of whom were allowed to play their club games (Lampard came closest, but nothing would come off for him at the WC).

The lack of form can be derived from poor preperation and poor tactics and positioning - take Greece two years ago, each player fitted their system, they were extremely well prepared and form followed that. I was sick of Sven saying things like "Rooney could play at left-back, he's that good" - Fuck Off. No he can't, play him where he should be played. Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Carragher, Hargreaves, Ferdinand and Bridge to name a few, were all played vastly out of position in attempts to accomidate Beckham.

This isn't English-hype, but with proper management we can turn in some performances that aren't completely awful.

I feel for the future we need Lennon on the right with Gary Neville being a solid base, then Joe Cole or Gerrard on the left to cut inside while Ashley Cole bombs forward. Hopefully, maybe in a few weeks people will stop calling Frank Lampard shit and fat.

• 3 weeks later...