The England thread

I'm surprised that people are surprised by how well Lennon did myself. He's caused shit for every defender in the country he's come across all season so I'm not surprised he caused trouble. It's not like Walcott who we know little about essentially (always looked classy and caused a lot of trouble for Soton but not even playing reserve football must;ve hurt him since Chrimbo) getting a brief run out. We KNOW Lennon is the best traditional right winger in the country with SWP behind him.

It was an interesting opportunity to look at the fringe player but ultimatly highlighted nothing new abouit them. Complete waste of time and Green felt the strongest repurcussions of the excercise.

• 1 month later...

Ok we are out, Sven's time is up so, what can we do to go forward?

my 10 pence says,

1)If anyone is playing below form then they should be dropped.

I think the greatest weakness of Sven's management was that player's had the security of knowing if they could play then they would make the 1st 11. Beckham, Rooney, Lampard, Owen all made it into squads when they were either unfit, lacked match practice or out of form. The best football we played against Portugal was when Beckham was replaced and Crouch was our lone man up front. Any player should face more competition for their spot in their national team than their club. Also if a player is underperforming then the manager should let them know about it. How many England players would have received the 'hair dryer' treatment from Alex Fergerson in the last six years? How much better is Joe Cole since Mourinho laid into him?

2)Pick players to fit your tactics not a system to get everyone on the pitch.

Lampard and Gerrard are class players but we only need one of them on the pitch. Lennon caused more damage by running at defenders than Beckham does by long balls. If you are playing a lone striker then you need someone who isn't going to get wound up and can hold the ball up.

3)It doesn't matter how we win as long as we win.

Great teams can get results when they play badly. Did Greece produce any world class performances when they won Euro 2004? It would be wonderful England performed as well as we did against Germany when we won 5-1 or when we beat Holland in '96, it just isnt going to happen every game. I felt the criticisms we received after our games up to the Portugal match were a little harsh.

4)We are out so are Brazil, Argentina, Holland and Spain. Some commentators were willing to hand Argentina the trophy after they crushed Serbia 6-0. We can claim to be one of the top eight teams in the world surely that counts for something?

I wish Steve Maclaren all the best, he has some awesome talents to work with and I hope he has learnt from Svens mistakes and sucesses.

• 1 month later...

Goalkeepers:

Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd).

Defenders:

Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton).

Midfielders:

Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Strikers:

Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

Guest Chasing Ringy

Dropping Beckham completely is a bit harsh. While I understand him not starting, he could have certainly been used as a squad player.

Sounds like McLaren's trying to take a stand.

Yay, no longer will his lack of pace and continued long balls hinder our attack. Without a natural left winger or attacking RB, we need pace on the right side and although he's a good passer so are Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard.

Better to make a clean break with the new era. Four strikers again though, which is gay.

This is a friendly. We know what Beckham can do, and we also know the many things he can't do, so what's the point in taking up a spot in the squad for him? Guys like Foster, like Young, like Lennon, Richardson, SWP, Ashton and Bent, they're the ones who need the time to stake their claims for a regular place in the national team, and so taking Beckham would be a waste.

There's no way Foster should be in the England squad right now. I really hope he doesn't go with no experienced international 'keeper behind Robsinson in competitive games.

I would have dropped Ashley Cole for being a nob.

Good news for Phil Neville. I would have had him in place of Jenas, who never really seems to do anything. I fail to see how the inclusion of Jenas over Beckham is going to help the youngsters train and get used to the England set up.

Don't mind as much about Campbell being left out. As long as McClaren does still realise he's the third best English centre-back.

Glad Beckham's been dropped, hopefully we can get away from this idea that certain players should always play regardless of their form.

We desperately need some decent goalkeepers to start coming through as well, and Carson should've been selected ahead of Foster because he's played in some massive games, whereas Foster hasn't.

Yay, no longer will his lack of pace and continued long balls hinder our attack. Without a natural left winger or attacking RB, we need pace on the right side and although he's a good passer so are Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard.

Better to make a clean break with the new era. Four strikers again though, which is gay.

With McClaren in charge I was expecting at least 6 in case we ever went behind. <_< That and a handful of M'Boro guys like Riggott.

But really if it's only one game we don't really need more than 4. With only 6 subs it's gonna be hard to use the other 2 let alone more.