The England thread

Well, there is that....and this:

1997/98 36 18 0 0 4 4 4 1 0 0 44 23

36 games, 18 goals...4 games in cups, 4 goals...and a goal in Europe to boot.

Over a goal every two games.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Well, there is that....and this:

1997/98 36 18 0 0 4 4 4 1 0 0 44 23

36 games, 18 goals...4 games in cups, 4 goals...and a goal in Europe to boot.

Over a goal every two games.

He played that many games!?! :o Holy shit, I don't remember him playing that often! I knew he had a good season but damn, I don't remember it being that good. Hmmm, ya learn new stuff every day.

Just to clear this up, every country has to have at least 3 goalkeepers.

Being Scottish, the selection doesn't affect me that much, but let's not say things we can't take back - Phil Neville over Owen Hargreaves? Hargreaves isn't fantastic, but I don't think Phil Neville is the man to take instead.

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has admitted he picked Arsenal teenager Theo Walcott for the World Cup despite never having seen him play a match.

Walcott, 17, was the shock inclusion in Eriksson's 23-man squad for Germany.

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "(At Arsenal training) on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.

"You can see how good the technique is because space is very small. And I saw him do some finishing."

Arsenal signed Walcott from Southampton in January in a deal worth up to £12m, but he is yet to make his Gunners debut.

However, Eriksson said he had been getting regular updates on Walcott from Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and England's youth coaches.

"I was starting to think about him in January, February and March," said Eriksson.

"The first thing I had to check was can he handle it and everyone we spoke to said yes. He is a very steady boy.

"I don't think Walcott or Arsene Wenger thinks he is going to play seven games (of) 90 minutes in the World Cup.

"If you expect him to have the impact Pele had in 1958, we are talking about the wrong things, but I am excited about it."

Eriksson said Walcott could play in the injured Wayne Rooney's role, off the main striker, if the Manchester United star does not recover, but said he also planned to use Chelsea's Joe Cole in that position.

Walcott will miss Arsenal's Champions League final against Barcelona next Wednesday to join the England squad.

Wenger has told Eriksson he can take Walcott to next week's England training camp in Portugal as long as the Gunners are not hit with new injuries.

To sum up the striker situation: "2 injuries, 1 17 year old and a Peter Crouch". That should scare the world, it really should, :thumbsdown:

Me and my mate were talking about this Wallcott situation and it isn't that ridiculous. He is a complete wildcard, the opposition will have no idea who the fuck he is and quite frankly, I'd play him against Trinidad and Tobago because most of their players are on the same level as Wallcott.

But still, I'd prefer Bent.

To sum up the striker situation: "2 injuries, 1 17 year old and a Peter Crouch". That should scare the world, it really should, :thumbsdown:

Me and my mate were talking about this Wallcott situation and it isn't that ridiculous. He is a complete wildcard, the opposition will have no idea who the fuck he is and quite frankly, I'd play him against Trinidad and Tobago because most of their players are on the same level as Wallcott.

:o

Pfft, Theo's better than ALL of them...twice.

Guest Small Red

Guest Heresy

I just don't think its the time or place to throw a wildcard on. And it's unfair on Bent & Defoe who haven't done anything wrong, I bet Bent wants to knock the fuck out of Walcott.

There's nothing with Walcott being in the squad and that isn't my problem. My problem is having him in instead of either Bent Or Defoe, he should be there alongside 4 other fit and ready strikers. Ideally i'l like to see:

Owen, Bent, DeFoe, Walcott, Crouch.

We all know what will happen, we get knocked out of 1/4's by Germany. Media go mad, start having a massive go that he took Walcott, have a massive go that he wasted a spot on an injured Rooney when he could have taken Defoe and Bent instead.

But that's life.