The England thread

We needed Otto Rehagel :(

Flat back 5 at the back, two defensive midfielders with 2 wingers and a sole striker playing more AMC. Then for corners we just ram everyone in the box and score.

It won Euro 2004, it could win the World Cup ¬_¬

Weill I don't think McClaren will do much for us.

The other night when 'Boro played int he UEFA Cup final, McClaren put out a team that went 2-0 down. The comback only started after substitutions that were forced upon him by injury, and then the goals were scored. So the players got the win. The team McClaren picked, that he thought could do the job, failed him miserably, and it was only after FORCED substitutions that anything changed.

I don't see us performing well at all under McClaren.

I meant semi final. The final is this coming Wednesday.

And yes, he managed to do it once. But everyone gives him creit for the second when he wasn't going to make any changes and sent out Middlesbrough to lose.

I don't see he will bring anything particularly great to the England team.

As much as you say that he sent out a team that went 2-0 down, did you see the goals? It was shit keeping and then shit defending, 1-0, 2-0. Even the best laid plans are kinda shot to shit if your team aren't performing.

But he needs to pick a team that can perform.

Managers are sacked all the time because teams don't perform consistently. He picked a team that wasn't performing. Now, I'm not saying he should be sacked, but I'm pointing out that in football you can't say a manager is totally blameless for a team not performing. I realise he is not totally responsible, but remember how much we all moan at Sven when we see Heskey or Hargreaves in an England shirt ahead of players Joe Cole or Wayne Bridge? It's Sven's fault for picking players that can't perform, when he has better options available to him in the circumstances he faces.

McClaren failed to see the better options available to him the other night, and has been working closely under Sven. For all we know he is conditioned to the England set up as it is. We already know he has a fair amount of influence in his duties (before this announcement) and we could end up with little change under this new regime. If he is conditioned towards selecting certain (underperforming) players, we could see little to no improvement.

Wait, so him picking his second choice keeper because Mark Schwarzer was injured and him fucking up for the first goal was his fault? Him picking Riggott due to other injuries in his squad, and Riggott's lack of matches this year possibly leading to his sucky defending on the second goal was his fault?

My point is that he played the best side he could with Middlesborough at the moment (considering how small his squad is and injuries and what not), and won. However he went about winning, he did it. His team started crap which wasn't really his fault, and they picked up and won.

Don't forget that even though Middlesborough haven't had a great domestic season, they have brought through a lot of talented youngsters, which McClaren can be commended for IMO.

Not a fan of McClaren, really wanted a foreign manager as no English guy is upto the task IMO, but as he has the job, I hope he does well, if not then im Dutch from now on.

Bit weary of a guy who said there's positives in a 7-0 defeat and has narrowly avoided relegation though...

The more I consider it, the more I am hopeful he'll succeed at this. I didn't want him, and I still think there's better options, but that's who we've got so I say let's get behind him and get us a European Championship.

The Swede has selected Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, Tottenham youngster Aaron Lennon and untried rookie Theo Walcott of Arsenal.

England squad:

Paul Robinson (Tottenham)

David James (Manchester City)

Robert Green (Norwich)

Gary Neville (Manchester United)

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)

John Terry (Chelsea)

Ashley Cole (Arsenal)

Sol Campbell (Arsenal)

Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)

Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)

David Beckham (Real Madrid)

Michael Carrick (Tottenham)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)

Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham)

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Joe Cole (Chelsea)

Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Michael Owen (Newcastle)

Peter Crouch (Liverpool)

Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Putting Theo Walcott, who has not yet played in the Premiership, over Defoe and Darren Bent (top English scorer in the Prem) is shocking. Walcott as a reserve would have been ok, but seeing as Owen and Rooney are doubts then its a massive risk

Hargreaves over King isn't the best call he's ever made, although I'll give him credit for picking Lennon over SWP.