The England thread

It's a pretty strong squad of players compared to a lot of other nations but I do think this world cup has come to soon for Walcoot but as we have seen in he past with Owen and Rooney young kids suprise a lot of people at major championhips. I do think there should be 5 strikers in the squad though and Owen Hargreves being included is very dissapointing as he is one of the most overated players in the world.

All good to me with the exception of Hargreaves and Jenas. I've never rated either of them to be honest. I'm surprised there's only 4 strikers and not 5.

These were also announced to be on stand-by by the way...

Stand-by: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace

Over-rated players?

All a European/South American player has to do is a few twirls on the ball, and people tout them as the next big thing....we don't have that many players that get as much "OMG" kinda reactions as a lot of other teams, unfairly.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Over-rated players?

All a European/South American player has to do is a few twirls on the ball, and people tout them as the next big thing....we don't have that many players that get as much "OMG" kinda reactions as a lot of other teams, unfairly.

I'm noy denying that anyone who's Brazilian who can do a kick up and score a volley is seen as being an amazing player, but when someone like Lee Trundle does it it's ignored.

My point is, a lot of England fans overrated players. Beckham is one to a lot (don't give me "everyone hates him", i mean those that do like him.) Rooney was the same, Walcott is the same - all hype at the moment.

On Standby

Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

....still no Bent....and Johnson ahead of him? I like Johnson, but c'mon, he hasn't even scored as many as Bent did this season, and he's the league below.

• Admin

This is just code for "I'm leaving after the World Cup anyway, so who cares how we do at the tournament".

Theo Walcott. How on Earth can he take someone who's best experience is playing for Southampton in the Championship?!

This is absolutley ridiculous...what's Sven at like? Bent must be gutted, and rightly so. Hargreaves? Bollicks. I would have taken an endless list of players above him. Lennon is a good call. And i would be happy about Walcott, if there was another striker there. But to include one injured player, one unfit player, and Peter Crouch alongside Walcott is scandalous.

Bent must be gutted, and rightly so.

England omission disappoints Bent

Charlton striker Darren Bent will book an immediate holiday after being overlooked for this summer's World Cup.

Bent, the top scoring Englishman in the Premiership this season with 18 goals, was not only left out of Eriksson's squad but also the standby list.

"I am obviously really disappointed," Bent said on his agents' website.

"I wasn't taking anything for granted but I was very hopeful of being included. All I can do now is go away on holiday and recharge my batteries."

More reaction to follow.

big fecking ejits! How can he not take Bent!?!?!?

Walcott I'm not that bothered about - he could be suprise, but Bent should be there anyway - instead of Hargreaves (who is over rated, but isn't as bad as you guys make out).

And anyone who suggest P. Neville should be in the squad should commit suicide now...

Edited by Kid Britain

So Wenger signs Walcott, starts working him into the team, opens his mouth mentioning him for the World Cup and he's in the squad?

C'mon, you can't just throw someone who hasn't played a lick of Premiership football before into the team let alone never played any International football.

I'd have taken Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Bent and Defoe.

Green shouldn't be in the team either, not now - maybe one or two years ago when he was making a name for him, just a shame the World Cup wasn't then because I don't see him doing anything of use at 06 anyways. Hopefully we'll just play Robinson.