The England thread

Oh well, could see us scoring from the moment Green got injured. Typical 'small' nation though, not really interested in anything but dirty little fouls. It says it all when you have a player sent off in a friendly.

And Carragher should start at the WC. I know people say Ferdinand's more composed by Carra isn't exactly Mr. Sloppy, I always feel comfortable when we're under pressure and he's got the ball, he can pick out passes that relieve the pressure.

My half time prediction of "We are going to lose to Belarus" was laughed at in the bar, now I am the winner.

The only good thing about that match was Aaron Lennon. Carrick was ok, Owen and Cole got a bit more match-practise, otherwise that was a waste of a couple of hours.

LOL.

Go Belarus.

Wow, England B are shit.

Just cleared it up for you.

We had several players getting a run out to test their fitness, and basically back-up players after that. I couldn't care less if we won the game tonight, because it was more about getting people a game than anything.

Add the freakish nature of their first goal on top of it all. Besides, Belarus are what all former Russian states are like....solid, efficient and generally dirty. It isn't as if we were going to roll over them as convincingly as most people assumed.

Edited by HGwannabe

Guest Ringo Mars

That was the mother of all dives by Joe Cole. He needs to be shot for that. Was he training with Eboue and Deco last night?

He plays for Chelsea.... <_<

If a striker doesn't score, what the fuck is he doing?

He made a few nice flicks, I'd hardly call him the best player on the park.

Right, because when a striker doesn't score they must have played shit right?

If you actually watch him he makes extremely intelligent runs and his link up play is great, or at least it was tonight. I don't remember him giving the ball away much, if at all. His touch is superb for a big man and he seems to be extremely aware of what's around him. Tonight I thought he kept things flowing well for us and he would've actually scored had Owen not been so greedy early on.

It's not like he's an out and out goalscorer anyway. He's much the same as Alan Smith was as a striker, his game is all about the link up work and he's damn good at it.

Put it this way, I'd prefer the Crouch-Owen combination to seeing Cole or Gerrard playing off the front.

LOL.

Go Belarus.

Wow, England B are shit.

We had several players getting a run out to test their fitness, and basically back-up players after that. I couldn't care less if we won the game tonight, because it was more about getting people a game than anything.

Add the freakish nature of their first goal on top of it all. Besides, Belarus are what all former Russian states are like....solid, efficient and generally dirty. It isn't as if we were going to roll over them as convincingly as most people assumed.

Lol. Ok. I mean, the fact it can be called England B when it is basically our world cup squad is hilarious. So it wasn't our best 11, it was a good English 11. We shouldn't have lost, or drawn.

Yeah. What would be the logic in playing Gerrard or Cole in the positions they play for their clubs and balancing the midfield with Michael Carrick?

Instead, lets start Peter Crouch (whose only England successes have come as a sub) upfront and watch as he flicks the ball onto no one, gets no power behind shots or headers and generally flatters to decieve.

I don't think he's a bad player by any stretch of the imagine, but he shouldn't start for England, unless both Owen and Rooney are out.

LOL.

Go Belarus.

Wow, England B are shit.

If a striker doesn't score, what the fuck is he doing?

He made a few nice flicks, I'd hardly call him the best player on the park.

Right, because when a striker doesn't score they must have played shit right?

If you actually watch him he makes extremely intelligent runs and his link up play is great, or at least it was tonight. I don't remember him giving the ball away much, if at all. His touch is superb for a big man and he seems to be extremely aware of what's around him. Tonight I thought he kept things flowing well for us and he would've actually scored had Owen not been so greedy early on.

It's not like he's an out and out goalscorer anyway. He's much the same as Alan Smith was as a striker, his game is all about the link up work and he's damn good at it.

Put it this way, I'd prefer the Crouch-Owen combination to seeing Cole or Gerrard playing off the front.

LOL.

Go Belarus.

Wow, England B are shit.

Lol. Ok. I mean, the fact it can be called England B when it is basically our world cup squad is hilarious. So it wasn't our best 11, it was a good English 11. We shouldn't have lost, or drawn.

Considering at least our regular England team play together most of the time, a team made up of fringe players will probably have had little or no team experience with each other. Add into that the unfit players that got a run out purely to see how they were leading into the World Cup, the result wasn't that big a deal.

Should we have lost? Probably not, but it was one of those cases where the result wasn't of the utmost importance.

Im with you on this one, even if they are a solid team, we should still have the class to break them down, if we havent got enough players to be able to field 2 competitive teams, then we are doing something wrong as a "football nation".

And you seemed to have missed the point where we need players to fill gaps in our main team, which we have, and to give us better options, which we have. Do we need a whole second 11 that can play TOGETHER well? No, we don't really. Not every starting 11 you can put out from your 23 man squad can be uber effective, as this match showed. What we need is players to plug the holes, and in that 11 last night we do have that.

Edited by HGwannabe

Their first goal was a complete freak incident but they done what anyone would have done and put it away in the net. We should have beaten them - we were better but Green had a disasterous 5 minute England debut (was it a debut?) and then we brought on Carson who is like 4th choice Liverpool goalkeeper.

Considering the team had never played together as well as people like Lennon, Walcott and Carson all just been thrown in for a chance to see what they're like (maybe not Carson). While it was necassarily a B team the B just means we don't need to care about the score :P.

We lost, and we should have won - and the won would have been useful just for the sake of winning, but had we won nobody here would give a shit. They just care because we lost.

Guest Heresy

That was well and truely awful. We put a strong team out there, it wasn't as if we had a load of scottish players on the field like our old B teams.