The England thread

Ah well at least Kieran Dyer isn't hanging around so much these days....

The fact is, Jenas has actually been playing pretty well this season.

If people are looking at form players though Joey Barton could get a look in. Thing is, I think Sven knows most of his squad already, whether the form is there or not. Players like Nolan will be fighting over the last couple of spaces.

Ah well at least Kieran Dyer isn't hanging around so much these days....

The fact is, Jenas has actually been playing pretty well this season.

If people are looking at form players though Joey Barton could get a look in. Thing is, I think Sven knows most of his squad already, whether the form is there or not. Players like Nolan will be fighting over the last couple of spaces.

I don't think getting sent off in front of Sven did Barton his chances much good. How many places do people think are up for grabs? Two, maybe three at most I reckon.

If people moan about Gerrard and Lampard then it'd be the same situation with Gerrard and Nolan. Personally I'd like to have seen Parker and Nolan, but oh well.

I wasn't saying I'd like Nolan to play beside anyone in particular (as you are right, there may be some problems fitting him in), but in a friendly geared towards giving outside players a chance of breaking into the core squad, how they couldn't find room for Nolan to get a run out is a bit beyond me.

Nolan won't make it, otherwise he would of at least been picked in the squad before now. I mean, just before the last friendly before the last World Cup Matt Jansen was called up uncapped and may of played without him coming down with a virus. The last few places are going to go to the likes of Bent etc, people who have been in and around the squad.

Nolan won't make it, otherwise he would of at least been picked in the squad before now. I mean, just before the last friendly before the last World Cup Matt Jansen was called up uncapped and may of played without him coming down with a virus. The last few places are going to go to the likes of Bent etc, people who have been in and around the squad.

Yeah, I don't expect Nolan to be in there for the World Cup, he just should have got a half or so against Uruguay. Even if it was just as an international experience type of deal, as Nolan could be a factor in the England squad after the World Cup, arguably.

Aye true I do think Nolan is deserving with a World Cup and if Sven was staying on past this World Cup he might have been given a chance but in Sven's mind he is solely focused at winning this cup and whatever happens after isn't down to him. Nolan will be important for Euro 2008 as back-up to Gerrard and Lampard but maybe this cup came a bit early for him.

He was playing really well before he had his bike accident. I personally thought it was a shame, and now he is a shadow of the player.

Aye, I think because of the head injury and the possiblity of getting a bad concussion over juat heading the ball set Jansen to a depression and I hope he can re-discover his form at Bolton.

• 1 month later...

FA offers England job to Scolari

Luiz Felipe Scolari

Brazilian Scolari is a World Cup winner

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been offered the job of England manager and is discussing terms with the Football Assocation, the BBC has been told.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick is in Lisbon to thrash out a deal with the Portugal manager who is Brazilian.

Scolari, 57, who guided Brazil to victory in the 2002 World Cup, is out of contract after the 2006 finals.

If he accepts the post, he will take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson after this summer's tournament in Germany.

Scolari is thought to have a gentleman's agreement with the Portuguese FA not to commit himself to another job until his current deal runs out in July.

It is understood part of the FA's talks in Lisbon are about waiving this arrangement.

The FA board are due to meet again next Thursday and had hoped to be in a position to finalise their selection by then.

Profile: Luiz Felipe Scolari

Scolari's case has been championed at the highest level within the FA by Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

News that he has been offered the England job will come as a blow to fans who favour a British appointment.

The FA has also held talks with Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren, Bolton's Sam Allardyce, Charlton manager Alan Curbishley and former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

Last week the FA claimed it had completed its interview process, and McClaren - part of Eriksson's current England coaching team - was seen as favourite.

But Barwick's trip to Portugal seems to support claims that the FA board were unable to reach a decision.

Agreeing personal terms with Scolari should not be an issue as he is believed to earn less than the estimated £3m that the FA is expected to offer.

But the FA's approach raises the prospect of him facing England in Germany this summer as manager-elect, possibly in the quarter-finals.

He has helped to knock England out of their past two major tournaments - with Brazil in the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals, and with Portugal at the same stage in Euro 2004.

Scolari is a double winner of the Libertadores - the South American championship - and took hosts Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, where they lost to Greece.

Credit - BBC

Ever since Sven said he was packing it in after this world cup this is the guy I have wanted to get the job. Won the World Cup with another team that at the time had the stars but not quite the way or system to work together right. Took another good team to another internation final all after a fine record at club level. His poor English is a big minus however but I am sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem after a while.

On the forum I got this from I was surprised to see how much slagging off he was getting. :ohwell: What do you lot think?

Wow. He hardly speaks any English and he was offered the job? :lol:. I'm not gonna slag the guy off, because he is an amazing manager and a great tactican.

Honestly. I still believe big Sam should have got it. That's the kind of guy that takes no shit, off anyone, no matter who they are, and rallies his team on. Sure, Scolari is a fantastic manager, but really, I don't think he's the man for England at all.

Edited by Lost Soul

Yeah, I can't really say I understand. You have to get someone to coach your national team... shouldn't you feel some kind of obligation to find someone from your own country?

It would be different if it were, I dunno, Panama, but it's not. They can't find anyone qualified inside their own nation?