The England thread

Best International game I've seen in ages, probably years. One of the best I've ever seen actually.

Both teams were world class tonight and whether they've both had poor results over the last few months or not, they're both easily contenders for the world cup. After tonight, I think I believe England CAN actually do it now. Oh and me being the Beckham fan I am, it was awesome to see him play damn hard tonight. Rooney was wow. Heck, nearly every player on the pitch was fabulous.

Cant remember being so entertained by an England game since probally the game on the 1st Sept 2001 in Munich . Great performance and i think if Rooney wouldve scored that lob it wouldve been a thing of beauty. Bring On The World !

Edited by The Slickman

What do you think our best formation is? The basic 4-4-2 with Gerrard and Lampard in the centre, or with King holding and Gerrard shifted out to the left?

I'm not sure, we looked frail defensively but I think that was because our two first choice full-backs weren't playing. Gerrard did quite well on the left (although he was probably our second best player overall, behind Rooney), and his pass when Rooney hit the post was superb.

Isn't it time Motson got pensioned off? He got completely confused about Owen's goal, thinking it had been scored in competition, and then tried to talk his way out of it.....

Like they've been saying on Talksport, we're not the most skillful team in the world and never will be but for the first time in ages we showed heart and determination and terrified the Argies, especially the last fifteen minutes when we destroyed them.

For those non-English who wonder why we moan so much about team performances, it's because we know we're capable of beating Argentina, sharing 50/50 posession and having more shots....

Well, that was one of the most exciting friendlies I can remember, great game and it could have gone either way in the end. The only bad thing about the match was having to listen to John Motson nearly having an orgasm at the end, but apart from that I found the game very entertaining.

I-bet-if-England-lost-it'd-have-been-the-worst-game-ever.

As for the praise on Beckham, i just didn't think he is worthy of it. I didn't notice anything that he did which was spectacular apart from his free kick and he was pissing me off in the game when he was playing middle, leaving a huge space for left wingers.

Edited by Colly

Maybe its just me, but even though we can match a team like Argentina/Italy/Netherlands/whoever else man for man, we never seem to look as consistently dangerous throughout a match.....we did well to beat the Argies, but they were pretty much all over us in the first half.

Nice to see in today's Sun that they've already started the whole 'Can England win the World Cup?' thing way ahead of the actual tournament.

And the answer is, no, we can't.

Yes, we can. Don't think we will but we have the players to do so.