The England thread

I think thats a harsh comment to make off the back of a friendly. The formation was all over the shop and play just wasn't linking up well.

Carroll plays better with a striker alongside, he's not the beanpole lone striker to hit balls to that pundits sell him as. With Rooney, or maybe even Bent around him he'll be vastly more effective, flicking on and holding up the ball for his partner. Between Milner, Johnson and Walcott theres a decent three wingers to be rotating, and theres a vastly better back 4 that didn't play today (Gibbs will clearly come through, but Lescott can't get a game for his club, Rios on the way out and Jags isn't a right back). That just leaves the middle, where you've got Gerrard with a few years left in him and the likes of Wilshere to come through.

That team, judged in a proper competitive game should be well enough to at least qualify for tournaments. Not to say we will, it is England after all, but I'm fairly optimistic. At the very least I won't miss the ego and 'banter' of the previous team.

I think the game clearly showed that Adam Johnson > Every other wide player we have. Though, Young didn't do too badly.

I thought Carroll did really well, but that the formation was a bit crap for his type of forward. They kept harping on about how he is a 'traditional English forward' and failed to grasp that, 'traditional English forwards' usually come in pairs (Shearer/Sheringham, etc).

Bothroyd didn't harm his chances of getting picked (at least for the squad) again.

Gibbs and Henderson did better the longer they played, but took too long to get into the game.

I was impressed with Lescott's all round 'get us out of jail' defending. Jagz looked much more comfortable in central defence and Richards looked pretty good after he came on.

Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is we should start with the majority of players that finished the game, in the next one.

I think the game clearly showed that Adam Johnson > Every other wide player we have. Though, Young didn't do too badly.

I thought Carroll did really well, but that the formation was a bit crap for his type of forward. They kept harping on about how he is a 'traditional English forward' and failed to grasp that, 'traditional English forwards' usually come in pairs (Shearer/Sheringham, etc).

Bothroyd didn't harm his chances of getting picked (at least for the squad) again.

Gibbs and Henderson did better the longer they played, but took too long to get into the game.

I was impressed with Lescott's all round 'get us out of jail' defending. Jagz looked much more comfortable in central defence and Richards looked pretty good after he came on.

Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is we should start with the majority of players that finished the game, in the next one.

Was at Wembley, my first trip there, but very frustrating.

The team looked way better in the last 10 mins (coincidentally when we made the shocking move in todays climate of playing 2 strikers in a home game!)

Ashley Young looked pretty good, Adam Johnson too, but I can't help feel that we're missing a trick by not playing them on the correct flanks? Young would be able to cross the ball much more naturally on the right flank (and he's got a good delivery, as he showed for Crouchy's goal) and after YEARS of searching for a left-footed Englsh winger we're playing him out on the right?

Late in the sencond half Johnson charged inside the French area and had his marker back-peddaling...but spent so much time trying to shuffle the ball onto his left foot he couldn't get his shot away first time. Lennon, Walcott or Young in that possition would have banged it right footed, or cut it across goal. There were at least 3 occasions where Johnson got into good positions but couldn't get the ball away. I know he prefers the right side (he can cut inside and score the odd goal) but someone needs to tell him he's playing on the left and turning provider, for the good of the team. Hell let him and Young/Milner swap flanks for the whole game, it's a good tactic, keeps the opposition full-backs thinking? Even MY MUM pointed out that Capello should swap them around. Is he being paid £6 mill a year to come up with tactics and formations that MY MUM can pick fault with?

Carroll played well with the limited delivery he got. Walcott didn't get in the game, but the team looked like it was trying to force the issue down the left flank for most of the first half, instead of playing him in. It boggles the mind really, if they weren't going to utilise him as a weapon then why start him? I'm hardly his biggest fan but I acknowledge he's got pace to burn, and played right he can create chances, as it was France didn't have to worry about that flank at all. Playing Jagielka on the right was another mind-boggling move? Why not start with Micah Richards? We looked so much more assured when he started there in the second half, and Jagielka looked a different player back in the heart of defence.

People will point to it being 'just' a friendly, but there were 85000 fans there who had come to see a game, and only the French contingent will have gone home satisfied. People will also point to the multitude of injuries and pull-outs from the announced squad (indeed program notes showed a very different squad with Hart and Terry present to name two) but the players who were there all had various strengths, and could have put up a much better performance if they'd not been shackled to a system that wasn't working.

Is it too late to sack Capello? Maybe we could convince Paul Heyman to take up the mantle of England Manager? He might not know much about 'soccer' but I'd be happy for someone to come in with an ECW-esq approach of 'hide the negatives, accentuate the positives'. instead last night our negatives were there on display for the world to see, and very few players were able to shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, fuck it. As good a thread as any.

BBC's Live Text coverage of the day started at 7:45am. lol.

Still don't think we'll win, even if the media this morning have been gushing over such tidbits as "one bookie has now made England the favourites". Yeah, that's because a lot of patriotic nutters have made a lot of bets on them. It's the same reason England always end up with ridiculously short odds to win major tournaments - a matter of supply/demand, not realism.

Agreed, same as English clubs always being given shorter odds than sensible in Europe. I'm not expecting it but it'll be a nice surprise, I'll be 34, surely thats young enough for a Kevin Davies call up?

Hollands presentation hinged on obesity, they should've got Sportacus to present rather than Cruyff.

After all this talk of us or Russia getting it, they'll give it to Spain/Portugal. :P

According the BBC's live text, the Holland/Belgium big was much more interesting than Spain/Portugal, for what it's worth.

I'd rate Russia over Iberia simply because their economy isn't so fucked. Stories in the papers this morning about Spain having to sell all kinds of shit to try and prevent the need for an EU bailout, and obviously Portugal have been making fearful noises for weeks.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
Three new names make Pearce's Under-21s list for Italy friendly.

Three new names have been included in Stuart Pearce’s England Under-21s squad with the chance to impress against Italy in their first fixture of 2011 next week, as preparations for this summer’s European Championship Finals take shape.

Burnley forward Jay Rodriguez will be joined by Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Middlesbrough defender Joe Bennett in a 23-man squad bound for Empoli in Tuscany on Tuesday 8 February (2pm GMT) for a game which will also be featured live on TheFA.com.

“We’re missing a number of players through injury, but it will give me a chance to look at a few new players,” Pearce told TheFA.com.

“Rodriguez has been playing well for Burnley and deserves an opportunity with the Under-21s, likewise Joe Bennett at Middlesbrough has previously played for the U19s and his performances for Tony Mowbray have been impressive.

“I also saw Southampton play Manchester United in The FA Cup on Saturday and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is showing a lot of promise so we thought we’d bring him into the squad too.”

Re-joining the set-up are London-based defenders Kieran Gibbs and James Tomkins, whilst Jordan Henderson is recalled to the Under-21s after making his bow for the England senior team late last year.

The squad Pearce will take to Italy remains a strong one, despite missing the likes of Jack Wilshere and the injured Danny Welbeck, Danny Rose, Michael Mancienne, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones.

“We’re now looking ahead to the tournament in Denmark and this game, and the ones coming up in March, will give players the chance to try and cement their place in the final 23 for the summer,” added Pearce.

“Their club form and performances for England will be important when we choose who to take with us to the Finals so it’s also nice to see so many of the squad now playing regular first-team football.

“Earlier this season maybe less than half of our squad was playing every week, but now nearly everyone is turning out in the Premier League or Championship on a Saturday afternoon.

“Daniel Sturridge has played in a number of games for Chelsea, but hasn’t had a lot of minutes, so his move to Bolton is very important and could give him the chance to start more often and gain more experience in the Premier League.”

“Martin Kelly is playing regularly at Liverpool, James Tomkins has had a long run in the West Ham side and is back in for the first time in over a year while Fabian Delph returns to the side too, so we have a strong group of players.

“And the message will be that we have games coming up for the players to impress upon the coaching staff their credentials for a place on the plane to Denmark. We want to have a tough job of narrowing down to 23 so we have the best chance of success in the summer.”

The Italy match also represents a clash between two of the top four ranked nations in Europe. England rose to number one in UEFA’s rankings just last week, with Italy placed fourth in the co-efficient ranking system, which is based on performances in competitive fixtures in the previous four seasons.

Both nations will be competing in the UEFA European Championship Finals in June, and last faced each other in the 2007 tournament, when David Nugent and Leroy Lita were on target for the Three Lions before Giorgio Chiellini and Alberto Aquilani earned a 2-2 draw in the group stage encounter.

The fixture is also the first of three friendlies for Pearce’s young charges, with matches against Denmark away on 24 March and Iceland at Preston North End four days later.

Goalkeepers

Frankie Fielding (Blackburn Rovers), Scott Loach (Watford), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

Defenders

Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Martin Kelly (Liverpool), Ben Mee (Leicester City - loan from Manchester City), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), James Tomkins (West Ham United), Kyle Walker (Aston Villa - loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders

Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa), Jack Cork (Burnley - loan from Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton), Jordan Henderson (Sunderland), Henri Lansbury (Norwich City - loan from Arsenal), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton Wanderers), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Scott Sinclair (Swansea City)

Forwards

Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Jay Rodriguez (Burnley), Daniel Sturridge (Bolton Wanderers - loan from Chelsea)

I would have liked to have seen Micah Richards in the full squad again, for me he has always been top notch at right-back for England, I'm not too high on Glen Johnson at the moment, even though he has played better at left-back recently. Richards needs to be getting first-team football though i suppose. I was hoping they'd give Albrighton a senior call too, but I suppose Capello could still call up from the Under-21s if he needs.

Edit: The thread title is wrong, England vs Denmark is next Wednesday, the 9th February.

Edited by Starvinho