The England thread

• Admin
Newcastle striker Andy Carroll is in line for a full England call-up after he was omitted from the under-21 squad for Tuesday's friendly in Germany.

The 21-year-old was tipped to feature in England boss Fabio Capello's senior squad when he was left out of October's key European Championship play-off.

After scoring seven top-flight goals, Carroll is expected to be selected for Wednesday's friendly against France.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere is another notable omission from the U21s.

England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce has handed first call-ups to 17-year-old Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran, Swansea striker Scott Sinclair and Manchester City defender Ben Mee .

Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell is also included in Pearce's 20-man squad after recovering from the ankle injury which has kept him out of action since August.

If Capello does not call up Carroll, the Magpies striker could be approached by Scotland, as he has a Scottish grandmother.

Scotland boss Craig Levein has previously expressed interest in Carroll and has said he would keep up his interest for as long as possible.

"If he's not involved in this England squad, then yes. I spoke to his agent last week," Levein stated.

"We'll see, but the lad, in all likelihood, will be involved in this England squad."

Wolves' Matt Jarvisis also rumoured to be set for a call-up.

Jarvis deserves a call up on the basis he can cross the fucking ball, Shaun Wright Phillips needs to go home.

Yeah seriously. The fact that SWP still gets picked for every friendly and competitive game makes me sick. He's not and never will be international quality. Same with Michael Carrick. Just because he plays for Man Utd it doesn't mean he's not a shocking player.

Jarvis deserves a call up on the basis he can cross the fucking ball, Shaun Wright Phillips needs to go home.

Yeah seriously. The fact that SWP still gets picked for every friendly and competitive game makes me sick. He's not and never will be international quality. Same with Michael Carrick. Just because he plays for Man Utd it doesn't mean he's not a shocking player.

I wouldn't call Carrick "shocking" but yeah ever since Xavi embarrassed him he's been in horrid form but he was great against City so hopefully it's coming back to him, But yeah there are better options like Scott Parker who deserve a shot over Carrick.

• Admin
Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart;

Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Chris Smalling, John Terry;

Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jay Bothroyd, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch.

Does he? I'm not so sure. England don't make a habit of calling up the top scorer in the Championship, do they? I've not seen him play to England standard this season in the few Cardiff games I've watched, he's been impressive but I dunno, I just thnk we have better options. Glad to see the likes of Carroll and Wilshere called up though.

Bothroyd's been one of the main reasons Cardiff are where they are at the moment - and if England really are going to try out new players, a meaningless friendly international (to most already experienced England players) is the place to give these guys a shot.

He's 28 and he's looked utterly average until 3 months ago. I don't think he'll even be as good as David Nugent was.