The England thread

Capello could also have called up a completely new squad just for this friendly to see how certain players perform in training and the match. Why not? Why would you make the likes of Lampard and Gerrard play in a friendly before the season? Look at the Dutch squad for Wednesday, only 1 player played in the World Cup that's in the squad. Obviously the Dutch team came much further in the World Cup but still, Capello could have called up all new players, sending a signal that he's willing to change and give other players a shot and at the same time he gives the World Cup players a rest.

Foster

Hart (he was at the WC though, should become no.1 GK)

Kirkland

Brown

Onuoha

Cahill

Dawson (didn't play)

Shawcross

Warnock

Gibbs

Richards

Lescott

Huddlestone

Parker

Cattermole

Wilshere

Young

Walcott

Bentley

Johnson

C. Cole

Bent

Zamora

Sturridge (why not?)

Along those lines. It's a meaningless friendly anyway.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

I got a bit bored so made my alternative squad, included some 'older' players so they're the experienced players who help the newbies into the international fold.

Joe Hart, Scott Carson and Chris Kirkland

Phil Neville, Roger Johnson, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Andy Dawson, Sol Campbell, Michael Dawson

Jack Rodwell, Lee Cattermole, Danny Murphy, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott, Scott Parker, Ashley Young, David Beckham

Michael Owen, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Bobby Zamora, Darren Bent

I probably would've had Robinson fighting with Hart for the number one spot with Foster as third choice. I don't see why Robinson would retire - he's still quite young for a goalie.

As for Wes Brown - good riddance. He was always below average for England and I'd rather see someone else given a chance as the back-up right back.

Wes Brown is no big loss for England. I like him but a 30year old, injury-prone defender who isn't going to be a regular this year for Man Utd isn't what England need right now. If Micah Richards can get regular playing time then he is young enough and good enough to do Brown's role as cover for RB/CB.

I probably would've had Robinson fighting with Hart for the number one spot with Foster as third choice. I don't see why Robinson would retire - he's still quite young for a goalie.

As for Wes Brown - good riddance. He was always below average for England and I'd rather see someone else given a chance as the back-up right back.

Can't see Wes Brown as a massive loss. Robbo I'm dissappointed about. I would have taken him to the World Cup instead of Green (who's team only avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth). James I can understand going in spite of getting relegated as he was an experienced head both in the #1 and backup roles. Robbo had played an entire World Cup campaign for England though and had come off the back of a good season with Blackburn. I think he would have been an asset in South Africa, as opposed to two rather inexperienced goalies.

That said I'm not convinced that removing himself from selection is the right answer. He might have split 45 mins with Hart in the friendly and continued his good form in the league?

Edited by marksbros6

Can't see Wes Brown as a massive loss. Robbo I'm dissappointed about. I would have taken him to the World Cup instead of Green (who's team only avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth). James I can understand going in spite of getting relegated as he was an experienced head both in the #1 and backup roles. Robbo had played an entire World Cup campaign for England though and had come off the back of a good season with Blackburn. I think he would have been an asset in South Africa, as opposed to two rather inexperienced goalies.

That said I'm not convinced that removing himself from selection is the right answer. He might have split 45 mins with Hart in the friendly and continued his good form in the league?

I think being an England goalie brings a lot of pressure. He's been through it all already and probably can't be arsed to go through it again. Joe Hart is the future and should play from now on. Knowing this, there's no reason for him to return to the English team except honor.

By the way, did Capello give any reason as to why he didn't call up Parker and Rodwell?

Edited by The Quasi Juice

But if Joe Hart makes a massive fuck up, there's gonna be media clamouring for Capello to call up someone else - or if Hart gets injured. Foster's spurned every chance he's had and Robinson could easily force his way back in. Kirkland was the future - he was plagued by injury. Carson was the future - he made a massive fuck-up, didn't turn out to be anywhere near as good as people thought he would and he hasn't played for England since. Hart is better than both of those were at his age but it's retarded to put all your eggs in the basket of a guy who's had one good season at Birmingham and a decent season before that at Man City. Hopefully Robinson can be tempted back out. Though ideally Foster will actually get good and be the Nigel Martyn to Hart's Seaman.

I think there's a gentlemen's agreement between the home nations that stops that sort of thing from happening.

I would say sorting the defence is a bigger priority, it was truly terrible against Germany. Could have Buffon or Casillas in goal and they'd still be powerless to do anything if teams can get through so easily.

I think there's a gentlemen's agreement between the home nations that stops that sort of thing from happening.

Really? Cause the Jack Charlton era Republic of Ireland teams were filled with players who could've played for England or Scotland but were coaxed into playing for Ireland. And not bad ones either - John Aldridge (England), Tony Cascarino (Scotland, England or Italy and as it turned out not Ireland at all :shifty:), Ray Houghton (Scotland) and Chris Hughton (England) for example. Of course now its a bit different seeing as we generally only take players who have no hope of ever getting into an England beyond maybe youth level.

I'd say England will eventually be in a place where the young foreign academy players that Premier League clubs are bringing in now could be scouted as potential English internationals. It's worked elsewhere (and probably Hargreaves would've worked out a bit better if he hadn't been so injury prone in the last couple of years) but of course that does bring in nightmare visions of tabloid headlines. Especially The Daily Mail :shifty:

• Admin

But if Joe Hart makes a massive fuck up, there's gonna be media clamouring for Capello to call up someone else - or if Hart gets injured. Foster's spurned every chance he's had and Robinson could easily force his way back in. Kirkland was the future - he was plagued by injury. Carson was the future - he made a massive fuck-up, didn't turn out to be anywhere near as good as people thought he would and he hasn't played for England since. Hart is better than both of those were at his age but it's retarded to put all your eggs in the basket of a guy who's had one good season at Birmingham and a decent season before that at Man City. Hopefully Robinson can be tempted back out. Though ideally Foster will actually get good and be the Nigel Martyn to Hart's Seaman.

From everything I understand, Robinson's issue is with Capello - so he might be tempted back out, but not whilst Capello is around.