The England thread

Just something I read in McNulty's latest BBC article which I wasn't sure had been confirmed elsewhere: Frank Lampard is definitely the new Vice-Captain (so really the Vice-Vice-Vice-Captain...), now that Gerrard has taken the armband.

'tis a good song to choose for a World Cup song. But I'll play the Disturbed version purely because James fucking Corden isn't in it.

Why does he have to be in every fucking thing?

Yeah, he's a lager-drinking, funny, patriotic fat guy, pretty much the typical 'English bloke'. Does that really mean he has to be involved in absolutely every game show/charity single/tv program that has anything at all to do with talking, football, or generally existing at all?

He wasn't even Gavin, OR Stacy. Or even that funny. :/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And with that flourish, I now declare this to be longer the 'England 2009/10 thread'. Let the new Heskey-less era in the 'England 2010/11 thread' COMMENCE!

*changes thread title* :shifty:

And I've just realised that there's an international friendly sat slap-bang inbetween the Community Shield and the kick-off of the Premier League. Whose ever-so-smart idea was that?

And with that flourish, I now declare this to be longer the 'England 2009/10 thread'. Let the new Heskey-less era in the 'England 2010/11 thread' COMMENCE!

*changes thread title* :shifty:

And I've just realised that there's an international friendly sat slap-bang inbetween the Community Shield and the kick-off of the Premier League. Whose ever-so-smart idea was that?

Didn't it happen last year as well?

Anybody else see the piece in The Sun today about Capello not attending the U-19 Championships? Apparently, "all" of the top nation's coaches are attending apart from ours. I don't see how Capello watching the U-19's matters to be honest. If the U-19 players are good enough they will eventually break into their club teams and eventually make it onto Capello's radar anyway.

So they're apparently adding an English coach to the staff. I'm guessing it'll be a straight shoot between them and Pearce to take over when Capello leaves, and the other will probably be the assistant or something. But they're not going to attract a decent manager to work as a coach for a few years so basically it's just gonna be Shearer isn't it :/

Anybody else see the piece in The Sun today about Capello not attending the U-19 Championships? Apparently, "all" of the top nation's coaches are attending apart from ours. I don't see how Capello watching the U-19's matters to be honest. If the U-19 players are good enough they will eventually break into their club teams and eventually make it onto Capello's radar anyway.

Adam Johnson says that Capello hasn't paid attention to younger level internationals or club teams. Rooney was good enough at 18, surely the national team coach needs to be there, and if not what is he doing? Holidays?

So everyone is saying young English players need to be given a chance earlier on. The English squad needs to be rejuvenated etc etc. Then all the top coaches visit U19 and Capello doesn't, what does that say? He doesn't really take it seriously.

It's because youth squads are not truly representative of future potential.

You know England U21s joint leading scorer? Francis Jeffers. Carl Cort is also up there in sixth.

For every player like Rooney, Walcott and Johnson who have come or are coming through the ranks, there's a Cort or Jeffers to show that it's not really a star factory. Especially when there's players in the Premiership like Zamora (29) and Bent (26) who don't appear in the youth squads but are on great form.

Exactly, players who do break through usually never even feature at U-19 or U-21. U-21 success usually has very little impact on the senior national side. Reo-Coker was an amazing England U-21 captain but what has he done for the senior team? David Prutton has 25 England U-21 caps, also. If they are playing that regularly for the U-21 team you would assume that naturally they would progress on to the full team but obviously not.