The England thread

Yeah, the list is kind of endless: Scott Carson, Steven Taylor, Jermaine Pennant, Shola Ameobi.... all guys up there in the leading scorers or appearances, but wouldn't get wthin five miles of the England squad.

I'd guess that there's maybe five or six players in the current set-up who have a chance at being first teamers: Michael Mancienne, Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell, Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge. (Andy Carroll was the one I wasn't certain on) I'd put good money on the rest fizzling out and within about four years lighting up League One.

You're all missing the point by a mile though, the reason that fairly naff players have U21 appearance records is because they play all the way through to mid 22, the great players generally step up around 19 or 20 leaving behind the maybes (including James Milner who I believe is well up on the appearances list and has just made it to the big squad). Obviously a lot will fall by the wayside but some will make the step up as Small Blue says, and with 4 or 5 of the current senior squad needing replacing by the next World Cup surely its worth a look?

I'm not going to bother looking it up but I'd be very surprised if more than 2 or 3 of an England starting 11 didn't have at least 1 U21 cap.

General: My comment on Johnson was a response to the 'he doesn't need to look at the U19's, if they're good enough they'll be playing for their club team', where he's forced Wright-Phillips out of the team yet still was left out in favour of the frankly useless SWP for the World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpity bump. England squad for the Hungary game:

Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

'Arry is a genius. Slating the idea of a friendly in a run up to big games so Capello bottles picking them, shame about Daws though as the only top centre back who's fit it's risky. At best he'll only do a half.

Some odd picks there but it's the time to experiment a little bit and giving nobody on the planet want's the game what better time to do so?

I'm actually glad that Terry/Lampard/Cole got picked. Sure, it means they've only got three days before the West Brom game, but at the moment they need more help with match fitness than with getting rest. Any minutes they play will do them good.

Why have the likes of Baines and Crouch been dropped? The changes were made because of a bad World Cup, but did they have ANY input? Nope. I feel either Gerrard or Lampard should have been dropped, they are big names that consistently haven't performed for England when it mattered. Lampard out, Cattermole or Parker in. Also, lol, Wes Brown.

No Parker or Cattermole? No Huddlestone? I can see why he dropped the World Cup players but to drop the guys who were in contention to make the squad and just missed out is strange. Especially when our lack of ball retention is what sets us apart from half-decent teams.

Why have the likes of Baines and Crouch been dropped? The changes were made because of a bad World Cup, but did they have ANY input? Nope. I feel either Gerrard or Lampard should have been dropped, they are big names that consistently haven't performed for England when it mattered. Lampard out, Cattermole or Parker in. Also, lol, Wes Brown.

Wes Brown played every game in a season where we won the Champions League and Premier League, he isn't the best getting forward but he's versatile,experienced and a good alternative to Glen Johnson.

I thought Scott Parker would be in for sure since England need someone who'll bring some bite in the midfield

Edited by The Future

They only wait now to decide they don't want in? Are they trying to prove a point or something?

Fuck the pair of them and let a younger player get his chance.

Wes was a better player for club than country and one that has unfortunately been unlucky with injuries, when he's on form he's a top defender whether it be at right back or centre back. I think he needed to retire just to focus on trying to get his position back at United seeing as O'Shea and Rafael are ahead of him for the RB slot and Evans the preferred CB when Rio is injured (eg the regular CB)

I'm really not fussed by this squad, I have given up all hope in England now, by the time qualifiers start it'll be the usual dross anyway. I can't see us being successful for a very long time, the other teams like Germany, Spain, Brazil, Holland, Argentina are just so much better in quality than we are right now and for the future to.

You'd have thought they'd have had the common courtesy to tell Capello in private that they no longer wish to be selected for England.

Unless this is the only way that they can 'get back' at him, by appearing to be bitter and spiteful via the media.

Wes Brown did, didn't he? Apparently he went to the team hotel to tell him. Robinson's excuse was that he 'hasn't had the chance yet' to confirm his retirement.

Hardly two vital players, I don't rate Brown but then again we are quite short on right backs at the moment.