The England thread

I guess by picking the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney we'll get the customary post-tournament jeering out of the way in a meaningless friendly (although the loudest boos will be reserved for Ashley Cole, because he dared to cheat on that geordie clart who has been turned into Diana v2).

Shame Hart's being made #1 about two months too late.

I can imagine that Capello only is calling these two people up because the media criticised the selection of not enough new players. Whether he selects them or not, there will be a portion of the media criticising him saying "Why not select X instead?"

The only either option is he genuinely is looking towards the next World Cup...

So Foster is now injured and we now have a keeper from Watford and some young guy from Blackburn Rovers?! Surely there are a lot more keepers before you end up at those two.

Without being 'that guy'......Steve 'fucking' Harper!?!?!

So Foster is now injured and we now have a keeper from Watford and some young guy from Blackburn Rovers?! Surely there are a lot more keepers before you end up at those two.

That's Mr Frank Fielding to you!

He has represented England at every level bar senoir level and helped get Rochdale promoted last season. A promising talent, but when you have been playing on loan at Rochdale, it hardly is the choice you want to pick for England.

I think there's a gentlemen's agreement between the home nations that stops that sort of thing from happening.

Really? Cause the Jack Charlton era Republic of Ireland teams were filled with players who could've played for England or Scotland but were coaxed into playing for Ireland. And not bad ones either - John Aldridge (England), Tony Cascarino (Scotland, England or Italy and as it turned out not Ireland at all :shifty:), Ray Houghton (Scotland) and Chris Hughton (England) for example. Of course now its a bit different seeing as we generally only take players who have no hope of ever getting into an England beyond maybe youth level.

I think he meant actual foreigners, i.e. not from the home nations. If not...well you don't even need to look at Charlton-era Ireland, the current Welsh team contains so many Englishmen it's not even funny. If your grandma is Welsh, you're in-in fact Paul Green now played for Ireland on that principle, our captain Brian Stock is a Welsh international and he's from Winchester. There's others like Sam Vokes and Lewin Nyatanga too, the home nations do it all the time.

Yet another example of why Gerrard isn't a central midfielder. Played well in the first half, got moved back into the middle for twenty minutes in the second half and was poor, then got moved back into the hole and won the game.

No complaints really, although it did show how much Capello bottled it with his squad selection (and team selections once we actually arrived) at the World Cup.